Guess we all have a few more quilting years to go!!

hurray! That is an inspiring story. I think longarm quilting is certainly something we can do as we get older - if we practice lots now. After all, it is all about the muscle memory, and the working area is large. I will keep up with my hobby jobby.

Sylvia

WOW there is hope that I will live long enough to use my WHOLE stash.....

And to think my bone doctor told me to give it up as it was doing nasty things to my back and shoulders....think I'll send him this article.;):P who needs a back and shoulders when you can live to be 100 and still enjoy what you are doing. I wonder if they will let me take all my sewing machines to the nursing home when its time to go there.:P;)

LOL Bonnie! I worry that I'm going to have to will my stash and UFOs so my most valuable stuff won't get carelessly taken to the thrift shop.

Here's a thought. Open a nursing facility for quilters with equipment and a supply shop in house! And something to keep the DHs busy so there's time to quilt!

Anita

It is very encouraging to read that article. I recently read that people who work in the garment industry are four times as likely to develop alzheimers due to the high expose of electromagnetic fields from sewing machines and that computerized sewing machines are worse....made me want to oil up my treadle machine and use it!!:)

I loved the article and it inspired me to keep on quilting as if I needed it. If they won't let you take your sewing machines then don't go. the same with your dog. I think that if we keep on moving sand quilting then maybe we'll just go to sleep and not wake up to get the binding on the next one. then the tops will go on ebay and some other fellow quilter will buy them and finish them for us. We'll look down from heaven and say thanks. ha Ha

Hi I am new to this site we got our green Millenium in November I had already had a used machine for almost 2 years and the new one is great but have a question really need help on this one and Barb Mayfeild the rep in our area said to go on this site and I would be able to find the answer. Here it is my mom has a quilt on and she didn't notice that her stitches were a mess on the back of the quilt and Barb said we needed to skin the quilt and that she knew we could get the how to information on this site so if any of you know how to do this could you please let me know so we can save a bunch of time getting it apart. Thank you so much

Kerry Johnston

Hi Kerry,

Click on the search box in the blue banner at the top of the page. Enter skin a quilt in the first box. Leave the next box blank. At the box that says "one day" scroll to "last year'" and click on search. Voila--all posts thay have "skin a quilt" in their text. It is a brilliant technique shared by Bonnie--careful with the sharp blade! Good luck with the skinnin'!

I only want to liv e to 100 if I have all of my faculties and am able to quilt and reason. If not, no thanks, wnat to just check out.

We are currently caring for MIL who is in mid stages of Dementia. She is in a home which makes it somewhat easier but we still visit every day and do what we can for her. We are lucky to have family who share the responsibility.

Lynda in Golden BC Canada

This is absolutely a precious article to read. What a woman! Sure hope to be just like her - love to quilt and I've got a lot to do! I would be content to quilt by hand if I can't take my LA. I do have a treadle that I'm trying to get running again and I want to make at least one quilt on it just for novelty of it. By the way, I did get to quilt on Sunday afternoon for about an hour. The surgery foot is feeling much better and I'm off crutches - I'll be walking normal again soon.

Sharon

I have a sister who also quilts...just for herself and family...she is eleven years older and I keep telling her that we (she and I will someday have a house with room for both longarms...and all the sewing machines and live happily every after.

I am sooooo glad you all enjoyed the article! I agree with Anita, we'd never have to die, cause we'd be livin' in quiltin' heaven!

Bonnie, my sister and I both wish we lived closer too to spend time quilting together. She broke her shoulder a couple of weeks ago, and we can't go to Chicago for the International Quilt show. I'm bummed.

I forgot to include dogs at Quiltin' Heaven. Studies show the value of having dogs around elderly, keeping them active and engaged in life.

You don't hear this type story in the news very often. More feel good stories are needed instead of all the bad news.

Anita

I take my girls to their Piano Teacher - who lives in a Nursing home / assit. living home place. She will be 94 this summer and has her Piano in her room. Twice a year her students will put on Recitals in the Chapel on their huge Baby Grand Piano. The residents love it - - and it is a great experience for the kids!!

Maxine, their teacher - is always working on some project when we come, knitting, crochecting, she even does beautiful Hardanger (sp?) too. Very awesome lady - I hope to be able to do half of what she does!!

Archived