Sticky situation over machine quilting ribbon

I recently had a customer quilt that won a "Best Machine Quilting" ribbon in a show (out of state). The show was last month and I just learned about the award from another customer of mine that called to congratulate me. The quilt had not won any other ribbons. Along with the ribbon was a $100 prize.

My issue is mostly about the ribbon. I understand that she entered the quilt and paid for the entry herself so I could really care less about the prize money. But she never even called me to tell me about it. Should I call her and ask her about it? I work really hard on all of the quilts I do and it is nice to get recognition for it....the quilting concept and execution were both mine.

I dont think that I am being petty or asking for much for wanting the ribbon but is there some unspoken rule for something like this? I dont have anything on my take-in forms stating that I get the ribbon but I would think it is common courtesy. Also, how would I word something like this on my forms?

I guess I just need help in how to tactfully bring it up to her. Im not very good at this whole confrontation thing but I am pretty bothered by it.

Hi Jessica,

I can understand why you might be initially upset but step back, take a deep breath and look at this objectively. Knowing how most people think, she probably had no intention to mislead or cover up anything, or keep you from this "FANTASTIC NEWS!" really... probably did not even cross her mind. Give her the benefit of the doubt. Most people would never act sleezy. She probably is clueless or didn't make the connection to let you know.

So....

Rather than it being a "confrontation" it should be an "education." We all need to continue to educate people. We don't know if we aren't told. :) So, I would just be honest with her and tell her you found out through the grape vine and congratulate her. Take the high road. Always.

Oh and Congratulations, Girl! As always, I think you are way over the top talented. I admire you more than you know. In fact, on my computer desktop, my screen is set so it scrolls through all of your beautiful quilts on the right hand column of my computer screen. I don't know how I got that to happen (probably plunking on the keyboard and it just happened) but I am glad it happened cuz I look at your quilts DAILY! :P

Hey Jessica,

I agree with you 100%. If the prize was for the quilting, then it was YOUR prize. You should get the ribbon, and I would tell her so. I tend to be a little passive/aggressive ;), so I would call her and tell her how excited you were to hear that you had won a ribbon for your quilting and ask her if she wanted to drop it in the mail, or just send it with her next quilt.

Congratulations on winning Best Machine Quilting. I tend to lean with Shana on this one. I would want the ribbon, but education is probably the key here. If she gets defensive or ugly, then you know what kind of person she is. Probably an honest misunderstanding...hopefully. Bring it to her attention. See what comes of it. She should have let you know about the quilting.

Is your name on the quilt label of this quilt...or did somebody recognize the quilting as yours? That should tell you right away how she is concerning this.

My name was definitely on the label. There was also a nice write up with my name next to the quilt made up by the sponsor of the award.

Im definitely more of the type of person that lets stuff go but I worked really hard on this quilt. I would never be mean or nasty about it and I am still hoping it will show up or at least an email from her telling me about it.

I would love to be able to enter my own quilts but I never have time to do them so when my customers win ribbons, it makes me feel like it is worth it. I just feel a bit "slighted" by the whole thing.

Hey Jess, just keep educating your clients. Especially now that machine quilting is on the up and up and way out there in recognition of talent. So yes definitely, we machine quilters need to continue "educating the masses" And, most definitely add some sort of statement on your form or invoice that if you enter a quilt into the show, please recognize the quilter as part of the team effort. Slowly but surely people will get used to this and it definitely is a combined effort of talent with the piecer and the quilter. Keep chipping away. Proud of you!!! :)

PS: Knowing that you won and that most likely your quilting made it the winner. Doesn't it feel good?

The quilt won a ribbon for machine quilting.

You did the machine quilting.

Ergo: you won the ribbon.

Simple as that! Whatever the customer does or doesn't do is completely beside the point of you being the winner of the award.

I would proudly use the fact that this quilt won a ribbon, if it was my work. Mention the win in your advertising media. It is a fact and cannot be disputed.

Your customer is either clueless or snakey. The jury is still out!!

You do not need to confront her, but perhaps send her an email about how thrilled you are to hear of the machine quilting ribbon and that the win will look so good on your business card/website information. No confrontation-just the facts!!

I too am a big fan of you (as the sweet person you obviously are) and your work (which is beyond fabulous)!

Jessie,

Congratulations on the ribbon cause there is no doubt in my mind you deserve it! I agree this is a touchy situation and makes me wonder if we should put something on our forms! Joann's idea is a good substitute. I know many shows are now awarding 2 ribbons, one to the quilter and one to the owner. Thankfully she gave you credit for quilting it. Which quilt was it...inquiring minds want to know!

One of my customers came recently with a couple of quilts. As she was leaving she said "oh I entered the last quilt you did in the show and won first prize - for the piecing and the quilting". She was quite excited about it but it hadn't crossed her mind to tell me she had entered it or that it won until she saw me. It was just a small country show. I think people just don't think about things like that. They think it's their quilt so its their prize.

I didn't mind I was just excited to know it won.

Hi Jessica~

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!! It must feel awesome to have your work out there winning ribbons.

Your work is amazing so it doesn't surprise me.

As for your situation, ask yourself a few questions:

Was this quilt worked on by you with the intention and knowledge that it would be entered in a show?

Did this client hire you to do "x" amount of quilting? and did this customer Pay for this service?

Were you given credit for the quilting of this quilt? Can you still use this win in your advertising?

I know that getting the ribbon would be awesome, but maybe this is the first time she has won a ribbon. She pieced it and payed for the quilting so feels the ribbon is hers. You just never know.

Don't let this get you down.

I would call her and congratulate her on the win. Let the conversation go where it may. She may not even realize how important this is for you. She may just be proud of the fact that her quilt took a ribbon.

As for you intake form, just put in a little plurb to the effect of:

"If this quilt will be entered into a quilt show, (your name here) will be credited for the machine quilting and rewarded accordingly,........."

Again, focus on your win!!

We are all very proud of you!

Laura

Originally posted by jones3jm

My name was definitely on the label. There was also a nice write up with my name next to the quilt made up by the sponsor of the award.

Im definitely more of the type of person that lets stuff go but I worked really hard on this quilt. I would never be mean or nasty about it and I am still hoping it will show up or at least an email from her telling me about it.

I would love to be able to enter my own quilts but I never have time to do them so when my customers win ribbons, it makes me feel like it is worth it. I just feel a bit "slighted" by the whole thing.

Hi Miss Jessica!

I think everyone goes through this at one time or another, I guess take the advice of the other gals and print up a blurb on your work order. And I like JoAnn;s suggestion of taking a photo of the ribbon, next best thing!:) Hind sight is 20/20 ~always!

Heck, I nearly had heart failure in Borders books a few weeks ago, as I was thumbing through "American Quilter" a quilt that I did was published & not one single acknowledgment given to the quilter. Hey that's okay I'll just remember that when I quilt for her again, hum well what do you know, in fact I have 3 of her quilts in my rack now, I might just have to give her a "special" pricing! ;)

I also know what you mean about not piecing, I miss it BIG TIME! So I set one day a week to do my own stuff, in my jammies to boot! :P

The one and only time that I hired a gal to piece for me (mind you it was a competition quilt) I "thought’ I spelled everything out in black & white, & in writing, handed everything over to her that she would need fabric, threads, instructions etc.

Imagine my shock & horror when I got the quilt back & it was pieced with GREY thread on white fabric!!!

I knew it was toast for competition, but entered it any way, I almost died laughing when I got the comment sheet back, "this quilt is white, what were you thinking when you pieced it with grey thread?? Would have been a 1st place ribbon otherwise!" :o (I am still trying to figure out what happened to my white thread I gave her to piece with?!)

Moral of story if you want it done "your way" then do it yourself", did I ever learn big time!

I don’t care how long any of us live or quilt a million quilts, something in life is always going to the cake.

Make time for your quilt Jessica, you deserve it!:)

The problem here is with the quilt show. They should have honored YOU as the quilter or was that even on her show form. Sometimes it just says it was a team and it was long-armed. I tend to think the show should have awarded you the prize on her quilt. She did not do that part and although she paid you, it is still not her work and she doesn't deserve the ribbon. (Although she has no idea she doesn't) She is probably just very proud she chose you to quilt for her. I think I would consider putting it on the contract sheet. Perhaps ask for a duplicate of the ribbon at her expense.

I do have a note about this on my take in form. I al ways say "I don't give a hoot about the money, but please do credit me". So far so good.

I'm sad that people could be that clueless, but I am often told, never attribute to malice anything that could be explained by stupidity and well this could be. Good luck on educating your customers, and well done on the award.

I would be tempted to contact the customer and say how surprised you were to find out your quilting had won an award, is there any chance of a photo of the quilt with it's ribbon. I'd be hoping that it would convey that you know it is your work that won, but doesn't claim the ribbon. Then again I've been described as passive aggressive too so this might be bad advice.

Don't forget to celebrate your win.

Ferret

Hello Jessica,

Congratulations on YOUR win!! Your quilting is fantastic and the win was well deserved.

I too hate confrontation, so I would lean towards our wise little Shana and go with education. Congratulate your customer and request a copy of the Write up from the sponsor and the ribbon. Ask her for a photo of the quilt so you can display it in your advertising and on your web page. Let her know how proud you are that you were able to help create an award winning quilt!!!

I like Ferret's little truism about "never attribute malice to anything that could be explained by stupidity". I think your customer is just not aware. Take those steps back, take the deep breaths and enjoy your accomplishment. Share it with her rather than fighting her for it. She did create the quilt that allowed your quilting to shine. Your quilting created a quilt that she will treasure always!

(Blurp about collaborative work on intake sheet might also be a good idea!)

Now, as far as your own piecing is concerned............... schedule in that one day a week, which is YOUR day! The day you do your own quilts. Not the day you wash, clean take the kids to the dentist etc, but YOUR day to be creative!! When you read other peoples experiences, like Bonnie's and Marry Beth's, about burn out, it sounds like they did not look after their own needs, just every other quilters". How often do we woman need to be told that we have to make/take time for ourselves and our interests for our own health and welbing??? :)

Jessica, we all know what an incredible artist you are!!!!!! We all aspire to be able to accomplish quilting that you are able to produce. WE know whose Ribbon this is so allow yourself to enjoy it and revel in it as well.

As always in awe,

Jessica,

First - Congratulations! Your quilting is wonderful and you deserve recognition!!!

As I read all the posts - two things came to mind - the first is asking for a picture of the quilt with the ribbon - don't ask for the ribbon - just a picture - that will let the gal knows that you know that your quilting won her the ribbon - enough said. The second and maybe bigger point, is how the quilt shows deliver the ribbons - they knew you did the quilting so there should have been 2 ribbons to present - one for the piecer/owner and one for the quilter. Some shows do give multiple ribbons, but as I see it, most don't. We are still a ways off from making sure that all artists involved are recognized!!! Glad you shared here so that we can all applaud your work which is wonderful!!!!!!!

I too so wish that quilt shows would be more diligent about issuing ribbons to the quilter as well as the piecer....but many smaller shows still think that they are one and the same so only one ribbon is ever offered. The professional quilter are the last to be seen.

In your case Jessica, its a bit different, you were given recognition as the quilter, but they didn't give out two ribbons. And I can bet the piecer just didn't think that the ribbon belonged to anyone except her...not because she is selfish, but just because its her winning quilt.

I've never gotten any of the ribbons from quilts that I have quilted when they won, nor was my name on the label or even mentioned in the description cards in most cases. However, for the most part my customers were so excited about winning I knew that they had right after judging, but I didn't expect the ribbons as they were someone elses. I wonder if I can go back now and ask for pictures of the quilts and ribbons... Joanne I like that suggestion, and will remember to use it should the case ever come about again.

If you feel this strongly about the ribbon...then by all means put it into your form that YOU get the ribbon and they get to keep the money...but what happens when the ribbon is all that is offered.

I know its hard putting the efforts we do into quilts and not get even a kiss when its all over....it leads to burn out and that's not fun either. But with educating the customers of what we expect when they do win, then things will be better for all...

Playing devil's advocate here. Jessica, you did the quilting (BTW - you are an awesome quilter and and an inspiration), but she paid for the service. Correct? Was there anything on the paperwork you have with her that says anything about any quilt you do that is entered in a show, etc., that if the "machine quilting" gets an award you are to receive that recognition?

It's one thing to have someone give a quilt to a machine quilter, have them quilt it and enter it and no money is exchanged. But, if money is exchanged then who does the quilt belong to completely? Does paying for the service negate any "ownership" of the one who did the quilting?

My opinion, the woman is not playing fair by not at least acknowledging you by at least sending a copy of the ribbon as it was your quilting that made it win. Even if she paid for it.

Put it in writing what you want from any customer submitting a quilt you quilted from now on because your quilting is absolutely outstanding and you WILL WIN more awards - of that we're all probably sure.

How do quilters wake up the quilting show world to make things equitable in this type of area since it's becoming more predominant?

I definitely like the idea of congratulating her and asking for a picture of the quilt with the ribbon. Maybe what is bothering me the most is her not calling to tell me about it.

I also think that there should be a second ribbon for the machine quilting. The AZ guild show does this simply with a green ribbon that says "I quilted an award winning quilt". Even somthing like that would be great. It just makes standing behind a machine all day a little bit more satisfying...

I think im going to look at this in the way that Ferret explained. She probably just doesnt realize it.

She did pay for it but do you really want to "buy yourself a ribbon"? In that case, I would just save up all my money and have Sharon Schamber quilt my quilts.

I'll probably just ask her for a picture and let the whole thing go. Maybe she will leave it to me in her will :)

Also, thank you all for your support. Im glad I could vent this out. xoxo

I was thinking about his over night. I think I would also contact the show. As you were mentioned in the write up it sounds like the show knows who did the quilting. I would suggest to then that in a situation where the owner and the quilter are not he same person that they supply two ribbons, one for the quilt and one for the person who's work is being recognised. It might work better coming from a third party if you know someone who would do that for you. It's just a matter of getting them thinking about things.

Ferret

Archived