HELLLLLLLPPPPP!!!!!Got'er done!! thanks!

I have a tee shirt quilt that I have put on my frame this afternoon. THOUGHT I was going to get it done this afternoon!! :o It is way out of kilter! I am putting up pics. the top edge is of course off, but take a look at the sashes on the 2nd picture! WHAT do I do with this????!!! I don't think I will do tee shirt quilts again! I have rolled and rerolled it several times.... Any help would be appreciated! thanks! linda

post--1346190180167_thumb.jpg

Linda--I don't have a solution for how to float--as I don't know how to do that either--but when I get a quilt that looks like that I will baste it so it is straight along the top and then use a long strip of batting to stuff inbetween the quilt top and the roller to keep it from moving anymore--this seems to work for me.

It looks like some of the shirts maybe have a different stretch then others--so if it measures square you should end up square if you start square.

Here's how I float the top (sorry no pictures). I load the backing and the batting. Then, using the channel lock, I run a line across an inch or two from the top of the batting. Then I line the edge of the quilt top with the line I just stitched and pin close to the edge. The quilt top hangs over the backing roller at the front of the machine just like the batting does. I use painters tape on the unused quilt top roller to mark the edges of the quilt for reference so I can keep the edges straight. I pin the right and left edges of the quilt as I go.

Yikes, Linda...that's going to be a fun one...NOT!!

This is how I float: (its probably all wrong, but it works for me:D) After loading the back, I put the batting on. Then, using the channel locks, I attach the batting to the backing with the longest stitch (5?) and baste a straight line across the top of the batting. Then I pin my top against that straight line through the batting and backing and then baste it into place as well. The top then hangs between the two rollers to the floor the same as the batting.

With the quilt you're working with, I'd pick some other reference points, like inside the pink sashing, and pin-baste the entire area you're working on, being sure to keep that pink sashing square, or as close thereto as possible. Remove the pins as you get the part you're quilting so you don't run over them.

Good luck!!!

I agree with the floating also. then you can manuver the quilt if you have to so that you can keep it straight. The painters tape on the unused top roller is a good and inexpensive tool to help with that. You may have to scrunch some and tug some to get this one square. But I'll bet that you can do it! Just need to take your time.

I float mine almost the same as everyone else. The one difference is that I when I set the channel lock to level the top horizontally, I use a border SEAM not the border top. I feel this is a more true line and it seems (seams? grin) to work well. Also, as I advance the quilt, at each row of blocks, I once again set the horizontal lock and confirm that everything is straight. This gives me a chance to ease things a little this way or that so the quilt stays square over the whole thing. Using the painter's tape would keep it straight vertically too.

So many tips. So many methods. I guess that's why they call it "creative".

Happy quilting!

Lynne, what a great tip. Often the top border isn't straight, so pinning to it could be a mistake...very good point. I have a quilt I'm just getting reading to start and I'm thinking it would be smarter to have used the inner sashing, rather than the outer border. The quilt is off by 1 1/4" on one vertical side; perfect horizontally. Hmmmm....

Now you've got me thinking....(uh, oh...do you smell smoke?:o:P)

Another tip...Sue Patten says to use Vanish when mounting...then you can just spritz away your basting stitches.

A nightmare of a Quilt, but a talented Quilter. I float as all the rest, hurray....I am doing something right but.....instead of Tequila I use Vodka & Mango Juice....works just as good.

Good Luck and just for info. T shirt Quilts should be stabilized by the piecer, ie with fusible stabilizer. that is how I do all of mine and never have an out of square "square"

Speaking of T-shirt quilts, I have one that has heavy weight fusible. The blocks are as stiff as boards. I thought of using a heavy thread (King Tut) to help fill in the holes that are certain to be made by the needle. Some of the shirts are printed with that heavy texture stuff ....you know basketballs that look and feel like real grippy basketballs!!!! She also has a slippery (nylon??) "net" uniform shirt in there. It has little holes all over it, so the player stays cool.

She is re-making a block (the photo image was crinkling up!)...am I in for trouble with this one??

Any suggestions??

Will the King Tut be a good choice for this??

Thanks for any suggestion and advice. It is my first T-shirt quilt.

Lisa Burghart

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

Archived