My New Bobbin UnWinder

Do you ever get one of those bobbins that just aren't wound right and you need to unwind 100 yds of thread? It's a PITA to unwind.

I've tried holding the bobbin loosely between my thumb and forefinger and let it spin while I pull the thread off. Invariably, I either drop the bobbin or pull the thread too fast and get backlash that makes a mess out of the bobbin. :o

I've tried putting my feet together and dropping the bobbin down in between them. Don't try it. It doesn't work and you look pretty silly!! :P:P

I've tried just laying the bobbin on the floor, standing over it and unwinding. This works until about half way through. Then bobbin goes flying across the room in random directions every time you pull on the thread. BTW - This is the dogs favorite method!! She likes to bark and it and chase it around the room. Cheap entertainment. :P

My latest try was putting the bobbin under a mesh cup. Works wonderfully and the bobbin was unwound in a matter of seconds. Stand about a yard away and get both hands alternating pulling on the thread. You can unwind it twice as fast. An added benefit is some exercise for those flabby underarms!! :D:D

Just thought I'd share my silly attempts at unwinding the occasional bobbin.

Debbi

post--13461902118292_thumb.jpg

Hey good idea, Deb! I need to get me a mesh cup. Hmmm... won't hold my coffee will it? ;)

But seriously, One thing I do on my badly wound bobbins is I take it over to my Bernina and stick it on the spindle and unwind it onto a new bobbin (using my Bernina bobbin winder) Works pretty slick! :)

Shana, that's a good idea!

Debbi, I have been there, done all that.:mad: I started using my sharp pointed scissors and just cutting through the thread. It usually takes about 3 snips to remove it all. But I think I'll try Shana's method from now on, and not waste the thread! :D

Yeah, you are right, Debbi. It's pretty boring, mundane winding bobbins like this. Plus (darn it) I don't get to exercise my flappy underarm thingies or entertain the dogs chasing that darned bobbin rolling all around the room. :D thank God I don't have a LAM Cam in my sewing room. You would surely see some stupid silly things that I do. I'll spare you this but you can imagine, can't you?

(((hugs and love you, friend)))

PS: I've used some of my newest pantographs and playing with the rulers. You are right,,, the "Spaced Out" panto is really COOL! I used it on a baby quilt. Very fun. Except I started going backwards and stitching over my stitches so I put little directional arrows on that pantograph so I don't do that stupid stunt ever again. See? That's why I don' t have a LAM cam!!! :P

Hi Shana. I'm glad you are having fun with your toys!! I definitely don't need a camera in my studio. It can get comical sometimes. Crawling under the table to look at the tension on the back, turning off all the lights at night and then crawling under the table with a flashlight to see how the quilting looks on the back, putting zippers on backwards, leaning over the belly bar and getting a pin in the belly, extracting pins from my fingers, forgetting to measure the backing, and the list goes on. I'm sure we all have our list of dumb and silly things that go on in the studio behind closed doors.

Golly I'll have to remember this. The funniest way that I have unwound bobbins was accidentally with the vacuum

sweeper. I was cleaning and it snagged the thread, the bobbin was flying and bouncing all over the place.

Worked FAST too.

Michele

PS I don't recommend this method.

Hey Michele, I never though about a vacuum to unwind a bobbin. Although I have used it to snare a stray thread on the floor, only to find out a few seconds later it was attached to a spool in my rubbermaid bin under the table. I wouldn't recommend this either.

Oops Shana. I just told another one... :o

I put mine on the Viking thread post and put the cap over it so it won't unwind off, and start pulling with both hands, letting it fall into the waste can. Goes quite well.

Love all the comical techniques you've all come up with. May I share them at our Lock In the end of the month? (Guild is locked in overnight, with Police- checks on us every hour.) I'm going to let the battery weasle with the ball loose when everyones yawning about 3 a.m.

ritaR

I always seem to wind too many bobbins. Well, "M" bobbins cost $3 so I only have about 25. When I finish a quilt, I put the bobbins with extra thread in a plastic box with a hole in it. You know M's hold 200 yds of So Fine so unwinding is hassle.

When I run out of empty bobbins, I give the plastic box to DH to unwind the bobbins. He is pretty quick and no bobbins rolling under the sofa. :D I just wish there was a machine to unwind

This is 16 M bobbins

bobbins.jpg

This is the plastic box. I think it is designed for embroidery, I just drilled a big hole in the top.

bobbin2.jpg

I have always cut through the thread and unwrapped the bobbins. Goes really quick.

I like the idea of winding the loosely wound bobbin onto another bobbin. Wonder how I could do that? I wil have to experiment a bit with my other sewing machines to find the proper fit.

I also have wondered about Sherry RH's idea of using wooden skewers to hold the bobbins. I love this forum. So many ways to do things.

ROFLMAO Sherry!! I was picturing that you had a bobbin sitting on the floor or in your lap. You tied the thread around one of the skewers then starting twirling the 2 skewers around each other to unwind the bobbin. Then what happens to the skewers now that the thread is wound around them?? :P:P

I wasn't picturing it right until I read Kristina's post.

Plus (darn it) I don't get to exercise my flappy underarm thingies or entertain the dogs chasing that darned bobbin rolling all around the room.

roflol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I do to unwind-especially if there is too little thread on the bobbin is to throw it into a plastic shopping bag I have hanging on the end of the machine and do the overhand method..............HMMM maybe that's why I don't have the flabby underarm thingies (don't let me fool ya!).:D:D:D

Archived