which pins

I've used the flower pins since the beginning and just recently changed to a florist stapler....I can load faster and its a breeze to remove from the leaders. Doesn't seem to do any more damage than the pins have and I really like the ease of putting them in...no stuck fingers and no more bleeding on the quilt.:P

I use Clover Flower Head Pins. Learned about these particular pins at Innovations 2007 in Dawn Cavanaugh's "Feathers" class. If you ever get a chance to take a class with Dawn--do it! She is a wonderful teacher.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001K58PHO

I store my pins in a piece of clean wool that still has lanolin in it to keep the pin shaft lubricated. The wool is stuffed down into a small metal basket that sits in one of my magnetic dishes at the end of the frame. I load up the blue magnetic wrist pin cushion with the flower heads --and start pinning. I can pin quite fast now after years of practice. :)

Originally posted by Bonnie

I've used the flower pins since the beginning and just recently changed to a florist stapler....I can load faster and its a breeze to remove from the leaders.

Hi ladies

I was a professional florist for years, and have never heard of a florist's stapler. I am humbled! :o What do they look like? I used a plier type in my shop... is that what it's like? and do you just use a regular staple remover to take the staples out? Curious.....

I'm a Holly-stapler convert. Its the best move I ever made. I can staple a quilt on much faster than pinning and for whatever reason, it seems to work better.

This is the stapler I bought, the staple remover and regular staples. Turn the thingy (technical term) on the stapler so that the ends of the staples go out (instead of curling in on themselves). Works for me!!

Originally posted by DoryJM

I'm a Holly-stapler convert. Its the best move I ever made. I can staple a quilt on much faster than pinning and for whatever reason, it seems to work better.

This is the stapler I bought, the staple remover and regular staples. Turn the thingy (technical term) on the stapler so that the ends of the staples go out (instead of curling in on themselves). Works for me!!

Dory I like your techie talk! You got it down! You know I discovered that I don't even need the staple remover most of the time. I can just pull the staple right out straight. Works like a charm and doesn't take any longer.

I just recently learned how to load a quilt by basting with the LA. I don't pin anymore. And I don't baste with my DSM like I used to. It's a little tricky and I'm working the wobbles out of it, but I can see where it will be much faster. I start with the backing on the bottom canvas, roll it up as usual, then baste the top to the pick-up roller canvas. I roll it back and forth a couple of times to even out the wrinkles, and then put on the batting. I float the top after basting at the top and a little down the sides. I should try to do a little picture story.

Clover flower head pins come in two different widths...the ones on the card are very fine and bend easily, the ones in the plastic box are much stronger. Should you accidently sew over one its no biggie...unlike sewing over a tpin and getting it stuck in the machine, dont ask me how I know :cool:

Archived