Edgeriders - WOW!

I just had to report! I have been debating about edgeriders for a long time and just couldn't justify spending the $'s until I started to have some problems. I narrowed down my problem to the wheels and it felt like the machine was pulling. I decided it was the wheels. Turns out it was! I won't lie to you, installing them was a pain and took hubby and I 3 hours! The main wheels went very smoothly but the ones with the SR and channel locks what a pain! I can say without a doubt it was so worth it! I've tested with a play piece and boy what a difference. They are so smooth and I can even do some small work holding onto the handles and not using the micro drives! I've never been able to do that. I love them and wish I had gotten them a long time ago. I am really shocked. I thought I would put them on and then wonder what all the hype was about but I have to say I'm very pleased. I can't wait to see how much easier it is to work on this applique quilt I'm doing.

I would also like to recommend Patty Butcher. She has exceptional service. She got me my wheels in 3 days! Thanks Patty!

I think APQS should consider retesting these wheels because I personally think they are 100 times better than the black wheels. I did discover that one of my black wheels didn't spin at all so I'm sure that one was shot!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by hmerrill

I think APQS should consider retesting these wheels because I personally think they are 100 times better than the black wheels. I did discover that one of my black wheels didn't spin at all so I'm sure that one was shot!

That is exacly what I said after trying the Millie with Edgeriders at MQS. APQS should consider recommending them for all their machine. I went with the soft mounts when I put new wheels on...been kicking my own butt every since. I don't see any difference in the brown wheels and the black wheels. My next wheels will be Edgeriders!

Glad to hear you like them.

Now Heidi - I am shocked that you did not believe us ER gals when we raved about the ER wheels ............. we quilters never fib (LOL). Am so glad you like them & yes the back wheels were a pain. It took us about 3 hours also and DH kept wanting to do everything himself & I wanted to do it myself - I won because as I pointed out to him - he's rarely around anyway so I might as well know how to do it all ...........

Linda - I would do the ER wheels first - then if you want the microdrive handles ...........

At Innovations last year, I talked to Amy about the ER wheels - they did test the wheels when they first came out and APQS noted some issues with flat spots. Since then, ER wheels are made differently, but as of last fall, Amy said that they had not retested the wheels - they should and they should also recommend the product......... IMOO

Debbi it really is all your fault! I saw that you finally caved too and that was the final one. Your description is perfect...smooth as silk!

Meg - you know it is just like that "perfect book" someone might love it and you get it and think "wow I didn't need a book for that." This time I took the plunge and I have to say it is the best one I've ever taken...of course aside from buying my milli.

Soo... first it's booties for our microdrive handles and the next day it's new wheels... Hmmm... Does this mean now I have to get edgerider wheels too? All this "keeping up with the Jones'..... ;):P I told myself when I got my machine that I wouldn't pimp it out but who knows... maybe I'll cave in and start piimpin' my ride....

Glad you are happy with your new wheels, Heidi.

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Soo... first it's booties for our microdrive handles and the next day it's new wheels... Hmmm... Does this mean now I have to get edgerider wheels too? All this "keeping up with the Jones'..... ;):P I told myself when I got my machine that I wouldn't pimp it out but who knows... maybe I'll cave in and start piimpin' my ride....

Glad you are happy with your new wheels, Heidi.

Pimp it out...you won't regret it! I feel like I'm in total control now! Used my micros with the booties too and that was awesome!

Patty,

Yes the longer bolts worked just fine. We had to make 1 minor adjustment by adding one of the existing washers on the SR side but other than that it went just fine. I have't tried the micro stippling yet but I did stitch in non-regulated mode and was able to easily backtrack for my feathers. So excited!

Originally posted by dtreusch

Shana - Romancing the Stone is going on the machine finally!! Never thought I'd see the day. :P

Well I never thought I'd see the day either. It's been a couple of years, now, hasn't it? I am glad to know that Romancing the Stone is back on the machine because your quilt deserves to be finished and your vision needs to become reality. :) I know this quilt will be absolutely spectacular. :)

Seeing another post about Edgerider Wheels reminds me that I have a question for anyone that has the Edgerider wheels on their Millie, in addition to IntelliQuilter. I had the edgerider wheels installed on my Millie after I had the IQ on the machine. Now understand, while I love computers and feel comfortable with that - I am totally not mechanical. So adjusting wheels, etc. is pretty scary for me. So I did have a local service tech put on the wheels when they arrived, and he did say it was a challenge. Since that time, there is one area on my table where the wheels make a lot of noice - squeaky type of noice (this is while running with the IQ. Can anyone tell me why this would be happening on one area of the table? It is not at the end - kind of between the left end and the middle. I clean the wheels and rails after every quilt. Thanks much!

I would double ck the level of the table every which way & also that the distance between the rails is exactly (!!!!!!!) the same all the way down the table - ck several areas. Sometimes one of the bolts at the end of one of the round tubes between the rails might be tightened just a little differently - Amy clued my into this........ it made a difference for me.

Well, geez! I had hog tied my neighbor to come over and put on my new wheels a couple of years ago and it only took him a little over an hour... But, I don't have SR or anything else that might have slowed him down..

I do love mine, but sometimes they are just slicker than sn....t! Well, if ya have 'em then you know what I mean!

Heidi! I'm so glad you got them! Enjoy!

Nothing must compare to the ER. I must get some. I also have been wanting them and it will not pay for me to make a Christmas list because my friend Odie (dog) will not pay a bit of attention. Thanks girls for giving us the feedback and finding something every Long Armer should know and have with their machine. Thanks again

Sherri yes you and Meg and all the rest of you get to tell me "I told you so" and I deserve it!

Bobbi - it was the SR wheels that slowed us down. The others were done in minutes! It didn't help that hubby didn't know which wheels did what and he would pull it apart and then try to put it back together and then ask me if it was right! Thankfully Patty sent good pictures! I can usually put things back together if I've taken them apart but if not watch out. We also had a hard time getting the back wheels on because the ER make it a little higher and they didn't want to fit in right. We just had to put more shims on. If I were to do it over again I'd take the head off and do it that way.

Archived