embroidered quilt, need ideas

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh I so love this quilt. Here is my idea! Kind of the same as everybody else but a little different more elegant type of feather frame. She did a fabulous job with that embroidery. My guess from the picture is that the pictures are bigger than 6" which means that you have to nail that embroidery down. I would use monolon thread for that part and simply go around the major areas, just enough to give it dimension but not take away from the elegantness (word) of the embroidery.

post--13461902417765_thumb.jpg

I like the idea of keeping it simple without much stuff to distract from those pretty little girls and the lovely handwork. Perhaps do some McTavishing fill about 2-3 inches around the faces (head, shoulders, bonnets, etc) and then do crosshatching in around the outer edges of each block. You could stagger the crosshatching around the McTavishing and faces (so it doesn't touch the McTavishing lines) so it gives it a little more interest in the background.

Or just to keep it really simple, just crosshatch the entire background and stagger the xhatching so it doesn't touch the threadwork.

OK I just noticed Heidi's idea. That looks really pretty, Heidi!! :) McTavishing fill would be pretty in place of the crosshatch (not so time consuming) but I really like the way Heidi did her feathers!!

ya know.....I think I saw these patterns on e-bay from a seller who sells "copies" of vintage embroidered designs. I may just have to see if i've saved her as a favorite seller. If I can find her, i'll post back. I just know i've seen them.....somewhere...grrrrrrrrrr, dang menopausal brain!

Archived