Tension block

I do release the block when I advance. The velcro bunches up and makes it very difficult to advance because it fills in the space. I think that we need it as a cushion.

I have a call into the service dept and will let you know what they say.

I had problems with my tension block when I first got my used Millie - the velcro would bunch (as previously mentioned) and then the adhesive would gum up the roller. I finally stripped all the velcro off, cleaned the brake parts real well with rubbing alcohol and put on new velcro. I used Gorilla Glue to apply it, then used heavy-duty staples on the ends (in places that wouldn't hit the roller). Haven't had any more problems since, and it's been almost a year.

Here's another tip...its from Darlene Epp, so I can't take the credit...darn!;)

Keep your tension block adjusted with just enough tension to hold the quilt firmly, yet not so firmly that you can't turn the roller. I never release my brake and never tighten it. Its snug enough to hold, yet loose enough to adjust. Plus, think of all that exercise you can skip:P No walking down to fool with the block and then you just tap the fabric advance to move the quilt along. :P:D (You could easily use all the extra time for eating chocolate!)

I had my tension block set pretty much as Dory described and I rarely released the brake to roll the quilt. Until last weekend that is. I removed the tension block so I could raise the quilt top bar since I had put my Ruler Mate base on and needed the extra room. When I put the tension block back, I got it tighter than it was before. I'm thinking maybe I should loosen it up. I've never had a problem with the velcro and I don't want to start now.

Hi Rowena

You are right, the heat will soften the sticky on the velcro. One of mine came unstuck after our really hot summer. I just cleaned off the sticky and stuck on some new velcro. If the temperature gets up into the 110s again this summer, i guess I might have to repeat it.

Sue in australia

Archived