Tricky thread - driving me mad! SUCCESS see p.2

I want to use Aurifil - because it comes in really nice colours and different weights and is easily available in Europe.

I tried to attach the Juki thread guide that Shannon kindly sent but just could not get it on - then broke it. (Sorry, Shannon)

I have seen an extra thread guide on the hopping foot of the Gammill and wonder it will fit my Milli?

I wonder whether to fit a horizontal thread guide but will buy it, not make it. I only use the vertical one at the back of the machine. If I get one which one?!

The thing with the Aurifil is that the thread keeps getting caught at the bottom of the spool but my other thread doesn't do it... I had to loosen off to an outrageous degree and it worked until the thread snagged again.

I usually use Isacord, So Fine and sometimes King Tut but felt like a change of colours...esp variegated.

Also my holey thread guide has started dropping down by itself - can I superglue it into position?!

Hi Linzi, I've used Aurifil from the back with the small cones and haven't had any problems. Its wrapped diagonally, if I remember right, just like a cone. Where is it getting stuck and why seems to be the bigger issue. Does your thread spool have a rough area? Can you file it off? Or maybe just turn the spool over? I'm just throwing things out here that you've probably already tried...sorry. If you order the horizontal thread guide that fits on top of your machine, Rita's husband makes a beautiful wood one for a very reasonable price.

I have the Juki thread guide that Shannon suggested as well. Its sitting very nicely in my magnetic thread dish for the day when I can warm it up a bit, stick a screw driver in it to make it larger and then put it on. No way is it going on without some modification.

I don't know why, but I remember others saying the Gammill guide won't fit the Millie. Have you put the fishing line guides on along the thread path? I did this--don't know if it really helps, but it makes me feel good:D

You probably could glue the thread guide if you always have it tilted in the same direction...

Thanks, Dory - I'll try it upside down. The thread seems to get stuck at the bottom where you are supposed to tuck the thread in when you have finished. I still can't figure why I thread Aurifil poly as normal and the top thread is so tight but when I switched back to a small reel of King Tut it was really slack - it's a MYSTERY!

I wonder why the Gammill thread guide for the hopping foot wouldn't fit - it just seems to be held on with a screw... It's only Aurifil that misbehaves on my machine but I really want to use it - GRR!

Meanwhile how do I get in touch with Rita's husband - I want a horizontal holder 'cos I use a lot of funny thread...?

and btw - just what IS a Moxie?

Hi Linzi,

I use Aurifil threads with no problems at all on my Mille. A few things to try: remove the cap on the end of the spool (pull it off), if that is not enough, use a horizontal spool holder (either a homemade one or the Hartley Horizontal spool holder)...I do both and have no problems with the Aurifil threads.

Hope this helps.

Argh. I am about to try Aurifil on my picky eater. I hope it will play. Am ireight these are small spools,not the big cones?

I have the thread stand on the front of my machine and to run tricky spools I put a pencil through them and mount them between the thread guides. Sorry it isn't easy to explain, but if anyone needs to know I will set it up and take a picture.

Ferret

I was just going to email Ferret to ask if she had played with the Aurifil yet...

Shannon (Doodlebug - posted the pics of the Juki thread guide)

I'll try again with it tomorrow - I was using a smallish cone 500yds or so but didn't know I could dismantle it. It really does have a huge colour range so I'd like it to work... Do you think I might have to go to Italy for a proper demo?!

My Juki thread guide wouldn't start either; that's why its in the magnetic pin holder bowl. But...I think that by using a screw driving that is just barely too tight and warming it up a bit, you can stretch it open. Not too far though, or then it won't stay. Shannon said it was really hard to attach, but she finally managed.

I'll try to find the picture she sent me...

RitaR is on our list and her husband makes the spool holders. This is a picture of one on Webshots: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2846469180100754630DvRSxV They're very pretty and quite useful. It attaches to the top of the machine with velcro, so its easily removed.

Thanks again, Dory.

Tracy - did you really think I'd want to go to Italy just to do schmoozing?!

I'm ordering a thread holder thingy from Rita's husband

I believe Shannon said she hammered hers on but I thought that sounded a bit violent! I was impatient and tried to stretch it with pliers a tiny bit even tho' Mary Beth said not to - it broke...

ok here is what I did to get mine on. First I bought a really tiny hammer.I used this flat (on it's side) under needle bay, there is not much room but it can be done. I also took my dremel with a tiny bit sander and ground down a bit of the edge that goes up the needle bar. I also used a pair of needlenose plyers to ever so slightly (or you will break it) open the hole. Then after about a half hour (really sweaty and saying a few choice words) I put it under the bar and pushed up on it with my fingers and it finally went on. Then you have to work it over to the side your needle screw is on (right side only for this baby) and keep gently hammering it up. After all that work the thread stays in the groove of the needle better and my stitches look better in any direction. I'm tired just thinking about it...

Nora

Millennium

Washougal WA

i am so sorry everyone is having such a fit getting the juki needlebar thread guide (NBTG) onto their machines. davis helped me and i just asked him and he doesn't remember being to hard to get on....whatcha yall doin wrong? ;)

i took a pair of pliers, wrapped the jaws with surgically tape to protect the metal, then held it by the little notch that sticks out- then i took my small hammer and tapped it til it went on....

they are CAST, so prying them apart with pliers WILL break them. they fit by compression, so you don't wanna pry them apart to much to get them on or they won't work....

your patience will be rewarded....it's SO TOTALLY worth it! i noticed i don't get the stitches that look crooked. and i can 'fine tune' my tension

I bought the Hartley spool holders, both the horizontal and the vertical, and use them almost all the time. I rarely use the spool holder on the back of the machine. I feel it is so much easier to change the threads while standing at the front of my machine.

I also use thread nets on slippery threads and believe they help.

Archived