My Yurt is Starting! My Yurt is Starting!!

Or, should I say, they're starting my yurt!!:P I'm only just a wee bit excited...really...I'm not jumping up or down or anything like that:P:D:P

My contractor was out yesterday; today he gave us a price and tomorrow he STARTS!!! My floor will be concrete with radiant heat, and after much research, I'm going to stain the concrete. Behr makes a stain and then you pick the color and mix it much like paint; unlike paint, though, it penetrates the concrete so it won't (or at least, its not supposed to) chip and peel. Deciding on a color is the hard part. The walls will be white with wood lattice and studs (for the snow load) all the way around. It will look like this except that the vertical studs on the walls will only be 18" apart (I will be putting lots of horizontal board between for shelves:D)

So...back to color? Do I stain the floor with a clear stain to keep it gray and neutral, or use a little color...like maybe a light green?? What would you do?? Dennis wants me to paint a mariner's star with the stain...helpful, isn't he??:)

I would go for a color. I like green and mahogany/spice colors so we did a mixture on our concrete floors. The stain should acid etch the concrete and will never peel. It attacks the cement and lime and becomes permanent. You will love it.

I am excited for you that the yurt is going up very very soon. Let me know when and I may come over for a bottle of wine and we can introduce the yurt to what quilting should be like!! :D

To be perfectly honest with you, I am not familiar with Behr stains. I take it that you and Dennis are staining the floor yourselves. Bryson and I did the same thing to our concrete (which is 20+ years old for part of it). It was trial and error for us..and we both know concrete.

I would highly recommend having a contractor who does concrete staining take a look and give you some suggestions, or a quote to do it for you.

It can be very tricky to get the colorant to look as you might want. Your concrete is fairly new and may even be able to take an acid stain. I wish I was more help, but in this case, you might want to have it done professionally.

Call me if you want to discuss further.

How long will it be till you can move in? You could section off 24" squares and do a subtle color change, from dark to light, in each section. Do a bunch one color, then darken the stain and do some more, and darken again and finish the rest. Pull up the tape and it would look like grout between tiles. It's a thought... :D

Dory I'm so happy for you!!! I love stained concrete floors! There are so many options/looks you can do. This past weekend my daughter and I went to look at a horse. This guys barn floor was increditable! It looked like very expensive large tile. He even had his farm crest stained in the center walk way.....really sharp looking. I agree with Kristina about getting a contractor to come out and show you all the options you have and to get a quote. Even if you and Dennis decide to do it yourself, atleast you can see all the wonderful options you have.

I wish I could get a contractor out to give us a quote...unfortunately, since I live in "hicksville," its just not an option. The one thing we do have going for us though, and until you mentioned it, Liam, I hadn't thought about it--our barn has a breezeway that is concrete. Yes, its a few years old, but we could sure use it to practice on. If it stays good in the barn, it should do well in an enclosed space that doesn't have all sorts of critters running all over it!

Kenna, that sounds like alot of work....but then, it could be alot of fun too....

So, Liam...did you daughter buy the horse? The barn does sound incredible. Did you take any photos--of the horse or barn??

Heidi...I'm thinking lighter colors because I want to keep the space looking open. Its only 450 Sq. Ft with some of that being taken up with the bath/kitchen counter. I love how rich the darker colors look, but I don't want it to make the space appear smaller than it is. Plus...have you seen dusty footprints on dark floors--such as the wood floors in my house???:o

Great idea Dory. Practice the staining on the barn floor. Remember though, it will need to be etched (cleaned) with a particular chemical to allow it to take on a stain. You will also have to seal it with a sealant recommended for the Behr stain that you get. It sounds like this stain is acrylic based and water reduced. It should need an acrylic sealant. I would guess that Behr makes a sealer for it however. Check it all out and seriously, if I can help out in any way, let me know! :)

Dory, Practice the staining on the barn floor is a great idea. Let me know how the staining turns out. I'm considering checking into having the concrete floor around my pool stained instead of painted. BTW The horse my daughter and I went to look at was a Paint stallion my daughter is thinking of having her mare bred to. She took pictures of him with her phone, but we never thought of snapping a few of his floor.

Dory, I'd do a taupe color, so no matter what other colors you will have hanging around or setting in your yurt (furniture, etc.) it will go with EVERY color on the color chart!

Also, taupe on the floor in the Behr concrete stain is so soft, subtle, and mink like!

(I used to be a paint manager and we sold and took classes for the use of Behr products.)

Kristina...I think I'll do some research on the Behr site before we buy. In fact, I wonder if they have a hotline that I can call with my questions. I plan to do this well, right and once! And yes, you can help. Will you come over and pour the margaritas when we're done??? And then keep me from doing stupid things...like jumping on my horse in the pasture and riding him around with NO control while the other horses going bonkers--a little too much tequila that night:D:o:P

Okay, Liam...I'm sorry....but you are off the island again, buddy. Pictures of the horse...good; but no pictures of the floor?? And you call yourself a quilter?? Seriously!!! :P:D:P (Actually, I probably would have done the same thing once they brought the pony out.

So, Sheri, Miss Behr expert...what other words of advice can you give me. I do thing taupe is smart after listening to your reasons.

Yep, Phyllis...there will be LOTS of photos!!!

I think a lighter color would be better...that way you can see the pins on the floor....I've had dark carpet and dark tile and both were a bugger to see the pins when they dropped...

SO GLAD your up and running...now when did you say your open house would be....;)

I am not an expert but I am in new construction houses often and the stained concrete looks great or looks like children have been painting on the concrete depending on who does the work. I would talk to someone that does this type of work often if at all possible. Good stained concrete is beautiful whatever the color. IMHO

A new house here in the "desert hicksville" had the floor stained in a pattern around the edge of each room so it looked like old spanish tile border in each room. They stained the concrete before setting the walls on the concrete slab. It looked AWESOME, I wanted to rip out my carpet and copy it. DH said no way. It was sealed and looked very nice.

Best of luck with it. We want to see pics.

Bobbi

Dory, you must be so excited!!!!I can hardly wait to see it finished. If time is not a factor, I agree with your DH, Dennis. It would look so cool!!!!! Alot of work, but I think it would be so worth it! I am sure Dennis is going to help!!!! Whatever you decide, it will be great! Don't forget to post pictures as your yurt is going up!

Archived