dirty rails

As of late my rails and edgeriders are really getting black. Talked to Amy & she said to use McGuires wax cleaner. Didn't have it so used Peek antioxident cleaner for metal. Worked like a charm. There was so much drag in the middle of the table and now that the rails are really clean again it's gone. I ALWAYS clean w/alcohol but it just wasn't cutting the oxidation.

I've heard that people have died from doing that! The dumbest thing I did as a newlywed was to make fondue with brisket...hey it was square and would make nice little pieces to cook...or was it when I made my new husb an omlet with eggnog because I had no milk? I guess we could start a new thread on this...

Anyway back to the rails, I have used car wax that is supposed to take off oxidation and the machine really zips along but it isn't long before the black builds up again...wish I could find something to keep it from happening because I notice that it does affect how my machine moves.

Vicki :P:P:P:P:P yes I'm sure we all have those stories. The funniest one that is retold in my house is the night hubby decided to come home late and didn't call. This had happened a couple of times that week and I wasn't happy that he could be so inconsiderate, especially when I had cooked him a nice meal. Well that night it was pork chops so I just left his in the oven until he showed up...about 1 1/2 hours late. He came in and I put on my happy smile and made his plate. That porkchop was a little brown :P:P:P:P:P He didn't say a word and managed to cut off a piece and put it in his mouth. About the 3rd cut neither of us could hold the laughter back. He wasn't late for dinner for some time after that!

Mary Beth - I use ammonia to clean everything. It is cheap and cleans! I haven't found anything to cut the grease like it does. The key is to not inhale :P:P:P:P and no making killer gases!!!!!!!!

Mary Beth your not the only one to make that mistake with ammonia and bleach, I did the same thing and it made me sick. Live and learn!

As far as cleaning the rail; we have this cleaner called Easter Day that we use at work to clean ink jet printers, I brought home a bottle and it works great on the rails and I even used it to remove oil that dripped on a quilt once....took it right out without staining.

Just had to add to the kitchen humor. We used to have a glass teakettle. Hubby always made tea for himself. After a while the teakettle was getting the cloudy scale on the sides. After supper dishes one night, I heated vinegar in the teakettle and left it overnight to cool. The next morning hubby turned on the kettle for tea, poured it in the cup and couldn't figure out why it took so long to make tea that morning! He figured it out fast when he took his first taste! I was strongly encouraged to warn him next time, I hadn't even given it a thought.

More kitchen humor...When our 2nd child was born, 12 months and 19 days after the first one, my DH decided to cook dinner for me on my first night home from the hospital. He used my old Betty Crocker recipe book to make the creamy scalloped potatoes. He really worked hard making the white sauce, slicing the potatoes thin, etc. Finally it was time to eat and we discovered on our first bite that he had mistakenly used 10X sugar instead of flour!

Everytime I make this recipe he asks - 34 years later - if I used his recipe or mine. :)

LOL Sandra,

I have a newly wed story. My husband was in the Coast Guard, gone for days at a time. He came home after 6 days at sea, I had cooked all day. Roast beef, mashed potatoes, you know the meal. LOL He took one bite of the mashed potatoes and said, "these don't taste like my mom's mashed potatoes". Without a second thought, I grabed the bowl of potatoes tipped them them upside on his head and said, "go eat your moms potoatoes" lol These were peeled boiled potatoes, his mom made instant. lol

We still laugh about it too.

Here's a funny story. My husband was laid off from work and helping me aruond the house. He noticed the oven was dirty so he not only cleaned it by waxed the inside with car wax. It was the cleanest most beautiful shiny oven you have ever seen. Needless to say, I didn't cook a think in it until it was cleaned several times. Mercedes

I don't know why to buy Peek. My Gammil girlfriend gave it to me because she doesn't need to clean her rails like I do. I'm guessing an autoparts store or even Walmart also. I'm pretty sure McGuires is sold at Walmart but I'd rather go to the ends of the earth looking for it than go to Walmart and fight the crowds.

Newlywed story; fixing dinner one night and the recipe called for a pork chop & bean bake. Well I didn't have any pork chops so used frozen fish cakes instead. They don't go well with baked beans...we couldn't stomach it and went out for pizza. My DH still teases me about this one!

I use Mcquire on my rails every time I change quilts. It keep them clean and smooth!

Originally posted by Mercedes

Here's a funny story. My husband was laid off from work and helping me aruond the house. He noticed the oven was dirty so he not only cleaned it by waxed the inside with car wax. It was the cleanest most beautiful shiny oven you have ever seen. Needless to say, I didn't cook a think in it until it was cleaned several times. Mercedes

It's likely that I wouldn't notice for months. I don't remember the last time I turned the oven on.

Archived