why i like a batting with a scrim...

Funny you should post this...I have a QD Request (the thinnest one) for a King quilt on now. I say I prefer the next thickest weight...Select?...yet they bring what ever is on sale or there at the time.

This one is flat and fine...till I get about half way in, now there is a big fold in it. Smoothing it out is tricky because it is so thin. Yes, just more time.

Being a 110 x 120 top, it is shrinking a bit. Now it looks like I may have to piece the batt...even though it is supposed to be 122 square...go figure!!

So, I feel your pain Doodlebug!

Lisa

yup- dream cotton...most piecers don't realize that dream cotton is made (i know the package says different) for hand quilting....i LOVE dream blend....if only all batts behaved that well....*sigh*

i'm doing my part to educate piecers, one at a time...

lisa- i DON'T accept request loft for LAing...i ask for select loft or higher, even the select (what's in my pic) can be tricky....

funny story- i had a client whine about the price difference between the request and select lofts. i thought, shame on me, i haven't even looked to see if that could be a problem. the next time i was at my LQS i looked. a full sized sheet of request was $20.50, the same in select: $22.50...a TWO DOLLAR difference and she was complaining.....*grrr* plu-eaze!

I have rejected QD Request cotton four times this year. I copied the reverse of the label for Request which states "extra care must be taken for use with a longarm" which was changed last year from "not recommended for use with a longarm".

Tricky, aren't they?? So it then becomes the quilter's problem if not enough "extra care" is taken! I had a few grumbles about it, but most just exchanged it for the step up--and as said above, the price difference may be only $5 on a King.

And Shannon--I love QD Blend as well!

I had a customer bring me batting, out of the package and refolded, king size of course. It was one huge stretched out mess. :o She must have opened it and laid it out on the floor to see if it fit. It was QD select but she had distorted it so much, without knowing it and the batting was just ruined. I like QD's battings but they do require careful handling.

My experience that most of the batting I've used from them are larger than the stated size. I've just done 2 quilts that needed king in QD Wool and they've been having machine problems for the king for months now and I was able to get both quilts done with queen size since they were 5 & 8 inches larger than what the package listed.

I just bought QD Dream Orient. The size is generous--8 inches bigger than the package states. It is Soooooooo soft to feel. Since it's a blend, it handles very nice on the LA. The package does say to wash gently and dry cool. I'm doing an experiment quilt just to see how if performs before I recommend it to customers. It's a blend of silk, bamboo, tencel and cotton. Tencel is made from eucalyptus fiber. I'm hoping it will drape and feel cuddly after the first wash.

Archived