APQS Table Sizes - what works for you

APQS tables only come 10',12',and 14'. If you want you can find someone to cut it to 8', but you use the same poles on your table that you have now. Are you only doing small throw to twin sized quilts. Otherwise I wouldn't so smaller than a 10'. You loose to much on the side of your rollers when you park the head.

Or are you in a size problem and your 12'er doesn't fit the space?

For me personally I would never want one smaller than a 12' table I have had to many queen and kings.

Thanks everyone. Right now, I have the space. We'll be downsizing and rooms to accomodate a 12' table is difficult. I don't quilt commercially. I rarely do large quilts - maybe twice a year. I do charity, auction quilts, etc. in the lap to twin to double bed size. I'm going to have to rethink my strategy after your input.

Pat Schafer

Pat,

If you only rarely do larger quilts, maybe you can find another Millie owner with a larger table in your general area - see if you can use her (or his!) machine for the rare larger quilts you have to do. I've offered that to folks that bought a Millie through me but didn't have the space for a larger table.

I have a 12' table and would love to have a 14' because I do a lot of king size & king spread size quilts. It is such a tight fit on a 12'. But currently I don't have the room to go larger. Maybe someday the quilt fairy will come and make all my quilting dreams come true.

I have an 11 foot table, due to room space. The largest quilt I've done was 104" X 115." I had no place to park the machine, but when I was done quilting for the day, I slid a plastic sheet/page protector (the kind you can put in a 3 ring binder) under the needle area, so IF there was any oil leaking, it would not land on the quilt. That worked for me.

When I needed to change my bobbin, I just lifted up the batting that was hanging down, and looked under to see where the bobbin case was. I didn't have a problem with doing it this way.

I would prefer a longer table, but I have to make do with the size that fits my room.

Hey Liam,

I have a 14 foot talble and I wish I had gotten a 12 foot. The footprint of this table is about 2 inches short of 16 feet and the room I had planned to put it in is too small. Right now I have it in my living room and I would like to get it out of there. If you every want to trade your 12 foot for my 14 foot, let me know. I only live a few hours drive away and I would be willing to trade.

I think the size of your room will dictate the size of your table. If you only have room for a 10' table...so be it. If you are requested to do a larger quilt, the answer would be "NO." A 10 foot table is going to allow you to do quite a large quilt. 10 feet is 120 inches, and of course, you need to allow space on each side for the extra backing fabric. So, I would guess you could do a 100 inch quilt easily. (I haven't measured my table to see how many useable iches the table actually has, though. You can estimate by measuring the useable inches on your current table.) A smaller table might not allow you to turn the quilt to do your side borders, so you would have to quilt them as you went along. It might not allow you to park your machine off your quilt, but that can be overcome by just putting a piece of inexpensive plastic (sold at WalMart by the yard) between your quilt and the machine head to protect the quilt from possible oil drips. I would still get the largest table that your room can comfortably accomodate, but you do have to have room to walk around it at least on one end. I had to choose between and 12' and a 14', and I am glad I got the 12' because I don't have to constantly deal with the machine being in the way of closet doors, etc. But, that was the best choice for me and the space I had. I think Sandra's 10'6" table gives you great input into what to expect. Good luck.

Guest Linda S

I have a 14' table and have been grateful a few times that I had the space. I have one customer who makes the most huge and wonderfully pieced quilts. I'd hate to send her to anyone else.

Linda

Archived