basting stitch and threads

Okay, I'm swimming upstream here, but I have a couple of observations to share about "basting" along the quilt edges. These comments come strictly from experience as a show judge, and are not "gospel"!

[*] First, if your quilting truly "exits" the quilt's surface (edge-to-edge designs, background fills that extend to the outer edge, etc.), these comments do NOT count. That's because your stitching acts as stabilization between stitching lines.

[*] Now, if your particular quilting design "floats" on the quilt's surface (like a leaf vine or feather wandering down the border) and it does NOT approach the quilt's edge, you may run into trouble when it's time for binding. This can happen with designs like "piano key" quilting, too.

[*] Be sure that when you say "baste" in this scenario that you really are basting, with stitches at least 1/2 inch long. Use your manual sewing mode and move quickly, or use the needle up/down button. If you just zip down the side with closer stitching, you've just told the outer border's edge, "Stay put, but don't change or react to whatever I quilt inside your edge."

Remember that the quilt is taut on your frame. The quilt will want to relax when the quilting is done. If you put a "floating" design inside a border, the fabric will "draw up" around that quilting. However, if the edge is firmly anchored, it has no way to react to that stitching, because it's planted to the backing and batting in the condition it started in BEFORE you added quilting.

When firm basting remains in these situations, you'll often find that the quilt's border edges "wave" when the binding is added, even though the quilt appeared flat off the frame. That's because that outer edge didn't "shrink" in relation to the quilting next to it...it was nailed down when the quilt was stretched on the frame. And customers attach the binding by "smoothing out" that outer edge so it's nice and flat when they sew it on, and are disappointed when it then ruffles when they're done.

Ideally, the border's edge should be "eased in" to compensate for the floating design in the border's center, so the outer edge will lay flat. The ideal "basting" for customers who want the edge secured for binding would occur after you finished the quilting. That's why it's often easier to "pin baste" the quilt's edge in this situation, then you can remove the pins quickly and "tack baste" the edge when the quilting's done, allowing the edge to react to the border quilting and easing it in in relation to the amount of "shrinkage" inside the border.

Remember, this is only important with "floating" designs. If your quilting physically leaves the edges of the quilt, then those stitching lines help to "ease in" the outer seam area between your stitching. Just consider your design and even your batting choice, as thicker batting will make the "wobbly border" issue even more pronounced.

Okay, done fighting the current...:)

Thank you Dawn for the information! I currently only do pantos/E2E quilting and basting the sides has not been an issue for me with wavy binding. But now that I am progressing to free hand quilting, this is great advice for us newbies. Again Thanks!

I too need to clarify my "NEVER" statement....I rarely do a edge to edge as in a panto, but when I do the custom work I only do designs and fillers that fill up a whole border. I never float a design without securing the sides out to the edge, so that maybe why I've never gotten into trouble...but can see where that would be a problem, and will remember to give more information to someone who might not know.

Archived