Is it really possible?... Doing better now

Oh Jessica I wonder the same thing. Most times my stitches are very nice on the bottom, sometimes they look "flat". I think it has a lot to do with the batting, backing fabric, and how tight we roll the Quilt. I tend to be "too tight", but I am pleased most of the time with the results. But I sure would love picture perfect every time.

I recently saw a Quilt at a Guild Show and it was really well done and machine quilted perfectly. The stitches on the front where beautiful and then you looked on the back and tension was way off with railroad tracks and such things. Now how could this have won a ribbon? I would never consider letting such a thing go out of my house, but.......we all settle for different things.

It is possible to get good stitches consistently. Of course, nothing is 100%, but most of the time I get good stitches on the back.

I 'try out' the backing and batting with the threads I will be using and work until I get the tension very good. I use a Towa gauge to set the bobbin tension and then just work on getting the top tension right so all the stitches in all directions look good.

Then I retest every bobbin with the Towa gauge, as I run out and have to put in a new bobbin, even if I put in the exact same thread each time. I find this is extremely important, as bobbins can be wound or wind differently from time to time and may need slight adjustments in tension.

I found it came eventually with experience so ppp! Oh, I also have the best luck and the easiest time getting everything right when I use King Tut on the top and a Super Bob in the bobbin. But I use all kinds of threads both on the top and the bobbin, it just takes a bit longer to adjust with other threads. But I know various people/machines are more comfortable with different threads and you will find yours as well.

Meg hit it right on the nose...and to add we at first seem to jerk the head without realizing it. You will get smoother and with that will come smoother stitches. It a PPP thing and getting tensions right for the mix of possible stuff( batting, backer, how tight your sanwich is, how loose, thread combos). There are tons of things to watch for...like walking,rubbing the tummy and patting your head. It all will fall into place with time and PPP.

The only other thing that I can add to all the advice you have already received is to make sure you hesitate a second before changing directions. That stops those little pokies from appearing. I have also found that I had my bobbin way too tight and like Monika I would get those flat threads on the back. Now I start with a looser bobbin and that problem has gone away. Batting definitely makes a difference! You might want to consider having a different bobbin case for each type of batting, that way you won't have to keep changing the tension. I am working on a quilt right now that has just about driven me crazy! I couldn't decided on a design, finally did and had to frog the whole thing as it looked horrible. Then came up with another idea and finally have 1/2 quilted. I keep experiencing tension issues on the back but not bad enough thankfully to have to frog! When I took it off the frame it relaxed and it was fine. Keep at it and you will get it down!

With George, I have found that I need to just take my time with each design. Trying for smooth movements instead of fun race to the finish. I am working on feathers in a huge star (16 inch diamonds) and when I stopped for the night was so pleased to see that even the back looks like the front. I have finally kept a much more consistent speed and slower/deliberate pace on these.

99% of the time my tension is near perfect. When it is not and I check things the second time I realize it is MY bad and not the machines. I agree with the ladies above, takng your time is a really good suggestion. I also have different bobbin cases for the different threads. That has made sewing-life more enjoyable.

As always all the above quilters are right, i love getting thier advice-i learn so much from thier experience- it has saved me from great turmoils!

Are your stitches good as you travel from left to right and away from you?(from the front) and bad when you go right to left and towards you? The time the needle scarf has to grab the bobbin thread is very minute. The needle flexes in the opposite direction the machine is traveling. Dawn covered this in class last week and so did Amy at the APQS factory. It's really quite fascinating. Go To Dawns blog she has a GREAT video on this. There are things you can do to help this. I thought my machine was possessed for there seemed to be no ryhme or reason to the insanity on the back, until i watched the video explaining it. Make sure your hopping foot is adjusted to the type of batting you are using too. I think it was Hiedi that sent me the blog from Dawn when i was suffering through the tension issue. I don't know how to pu those things in!

Dawn and Amy Rock!

Tension is not right. Dawn does the tug of war analogy. If the top thread is "laying" on the bottom you need to check top tension as it is not tight enough to pull the bobbin thread up into the quilt sandwich where it belongs. Check and make sure that your thread is actually running thru your tension discs(sometimes it fools ya!)

If it is crank it up. Unlike Home machines it takes at least a full 1/2 turn to have any effect on the stitch quality. Check out dawns video. GOOD LUCK, you can do it!

Yea, I've done all the adjusting and re-adjusting and watched Dawn's video. And yes, I have nice stitches in one direction but not the other. I've slowed down too. However, I was taught that I could go fast and should not go too slow because I could get smoother curves.

I don't know. I guess I'll get it in time. If its possible like you ladies say then I will keep trying.

Jessica

Jessica,

This is what I do to get my tension right and since I've learned it I don't have this problem. I first set my bobbin tension which is looser than normally recommended. I put the bobbin in the case and hold the case in the palm of my hand. I pull on the thread and my goal is to have the bobbin case stand up but not allow me to pick it up. The thread will pull if you try to pick it up but there should be a slight resistance. Next I work on the upper tension. First I clean out those tension disks if I haven't in a while. Loosen your tension up a lot until you sitches are very messy. Now tighten one full turn at a time until you get your stitch looking good. When I see the bobbin thread come too the top I back it off about a 1/4 turn. This gives me great tension. When you're learning tension you should use two different color threads, one for top and one for bottom. That way you will be able to see exactly where your problem is. Bobbin color on top means top is too tight. Top thread on bottom means top tension is too loose. Keep trying. Also make sure that your hopping foot is set at the right height as that will also cause stitch quality issues.

Originally posted by Butterfly

Yea, I've done all the adjusting and re-adjusting and watched Dawn's video. And yes, I have nice stitches in one direction but not the other. I've slowed down too. However, I was taught that I could go fast and should not go too slow because I could get smoother curves.

I don't know. I guess I'll get it in time. If its possible like you ladies say then I will keep trying.

Jessica

What stitch length are you using?

What type of thread are you using?

How thick (or thin) is it? Have you tried moving to a larger (or even a smaller) needle?

The fabrics have been high quality. Nothing from Joann's or Walmart.

Right now I have an MR3.5 needle (yellow pack) in. I've also used Groz-beckert 16 and 18. Is one of these preferable?

I use So Fine thread and everything is sparkley clean.

I have never adjusted the hopping foot. It doesn't even look like you can. It is all one piece.

Okay.... now you have all the info....so fix me. :D

Jessica

Jessica,

You need to check the distance of the foot from the baseplate to should only be 1 or 2 business cards distance whne the foot is at its lowest position. You can check the manual on how to adjust the height and yes all of them can be adjusted.

I would again recommend loosening the bobbin tension and going through taht exercise with two different color threads and see how you make out.

If your freedom is a 2009 there will be a plastic cap on the lright side of the head(facing it from the front)

If it is prior to 09 i think you have to remove the head cover BUT the adjustment is the same. There is a small screw that you loosen to adjust the foot up or down.

using your hand rotate your fly wheel to the very bottom adjustment , then loosen the screw.for most popular battings ie 80/20 you should be able to slide about a 2 business card (not charge card) thickness between the foot and the plate. It should be the same front to back. if the foot is different front to back very carefully, gently bend it back using a screwdriver.They bend easily be very gentle. when you tighten the screw for the foot use a long screw driver for more torque, you dont want the foot to come loose. It is intended to be tight do more than "girlie"tight. If you want you can call me after work. email me so i can send you my phone # WOW HIEDI BEAT ME TO IT WHILE I WS TYPING !!!

Here is my rule of thumb....works for me, at least it has so far *knock on wood*

For the bobbin; I usually run a tad looser than recommended. I can hold the thread and the case will sink into my hand--usually with very little resistance. For the top tension, I just pull steadily on the thread from the needle, watching the tension spring. When it stops at 9:00, I figure the tension is good--and it is!!

Dory,

I'll give the 9:00 thing a try.

I can fit two business cards under my foot. That should be good. Right? I'm also set at 13 stitch regulated.

I'll get it. I'm sure I will. Well, maybe I'm not so sure. I still love my machine. I'm just wanting to have a perfect stitch. Especially right now as I have a beautiful big quilt on the frame and the woman is paying me a boatload of money to deliver a romantic and beautifully quilted quilt.

Also, is the 3.5 needle okay or should I be using a 4.0?

Jessica

Jessica,

You can get this! This is probably the most common problem there is! Once you get it you get it! I prefer 3.5 over a 4.0 but there is more needle flex with a 3.5 and the machines are factory set for a 4.0. You might want to give a 4.0 a try to see if that helps. Another thing to check is to see if you turn your needle slightly off center helps. Put a pin in the eye of the needle and turn the pin to about 6:35. Don't be afraid to play with that tension!

Hopping foot sounds right. Oh another thing to check, how high is your leveler bar? You should be able to slip your fingers under it to the knuckle. If it is too high this can impact your stitches too.

Archived