Cotton Thread??

Hi.

Just wondering what your favorite cotton thread is for LA quilting. Superior makes "King Tut" (2 ply 40 wt. I think) but it is pricey...Signature makes a 40 tex 2 ply also just called "Cotton", that comes in 3,000 and 6,000 yard cones.

Any thread experts know which is a better quality cotton - less lint, less breakage?

I need some basics: a nice black, a white and and a light tan. I've used other black cottons but they break more than regular threads.

Thanks for your recommendations.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NW NJ

I love Superior threads and use King Tut. I haven't had any trouble with the black breaking more than any others, which for me is almost never. If I have thread breakage, I change my needle, because 99% of the time that is what is wrong.

I know it is a bit pricy, but I think this might be a case of you get what you pay for!

Regardless of what brand of 100% cotton thread you use, you will have a certain amount of lint. Its just the nature of the beast so to speak. If you douse it with "Sewer Aid" that will eliminate a portion of the lint. You will have some, but it does cut it down greatly.

I use several different brands, more for color than one is better than the other or the cost factor....King Tut, Signature, YLI, and Cairo-Quilt. Each of these have a low breakage factor in my opinion, but that again is in how we each have our machines set for tension. What may work for me might not work for you for just that reason alone.

And also even a Poly cotton wrapped thread has a certain amount of lint and breakage, so if your main concern is that alone, you will have it regardless of which thread you use.

And lastly reagardless of the thread 100% cotton or a poly-cotton wrap, it does have a shelf life and you just get bad cones sometimes, this is one product I wish it have a date on, so you could see if you are buying a 2 year old cone or a 7 year old cone.

I have just started using 100% Egyptian double gassed cotton thread called Konfetti by Wonderfil. Of all the threads I have used over the years this is the best, its almost lint free as well as having a lovely feel. Wonderfil is a Canadian company and they do have a web site. They also have 100% variegated cottons as well as heaps of other threads. well worth a look.

Yvonne

For the price, Signature is a good one. I like King Tut as well. I have some Perma Core cotton and like it as well. These three are my favorite "cotton threads". That said, my absolute favorite thread is Superior LAVA and So-Fine.

As for lint---coming from a garment sewing background and moving into the quilting world---I'm always puzzled by the discussions and controversy that surrounds Lint and threads. Now I realize it is a "machine quilting" topic of conversation. Making skirts, blouses and dresses, tote bags, serging items, doing machine embroidery---and belonging to a sewing guild and primarily using Mettler threads to stitch with over the years, and then switching to Aurifil we have never discussed the pros & cons of "thread lint" that I recall. Upon entering the quilting world---it is one of the first topics of discussion . :) I just vacuum out and brush out my bobbin area on my long arm each bobbin change and let it go at that. It takes me all of 1min. max. No real problems with the threads I mentioned making more lint than most other threads I guess, maybe I don't pay enough attention one way or the other.

They all work great on my long arm, and that's all I care about really. :)

I just wanted to let you know that I use Masterpiece all the time on my Millie and Freedom. I do not have any problem with breakage. You just have to adjust your tension and speed. Masterpiece was designed as a piecing thread but their is no rule that states you can not use it on the longarm. It is just a matter of mastering tension.

Sandra

Archived