I'm so excited I might bust! - sneak peak added!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely without question jaw dropping incredibly beautiful! This just takes my breath away! I hope you send the quilt to MQS so that those of us not going to MQX can see it.

Re. Totally Stable, it is a Sulky product that is used as a stabilizer for machine embroidery.

I can see that I'll have to take Irena Bluhm's classes at the Round Bobbin Quilting and Sewing Expo in April!

Heidi!!!!!! That is sooooo wonderful and you need to keep being excited with what you are doing and the inspiration you are to us. The curving of the feathers, the blending of the design and the fact that it's balanced on both sides - OUTSTANDING!!!!!

Originally posted by Hollyrw

Oh Heidi! It's going to be fabulous. I really, really love your design, but then feathers are my absolute favorite. Are you going to have it done by the 15th?

Holly - obviously it won't be done by the 15th unless I didn't do anything else until then but hopefully they will still let me enter it. Last year I ran into the same problem with the wedding quilt and just had the trapunto part done and they still let me submit my entry and then a few weeks later I sent them a completed picture. Hopefully that will work again. If it doesn't then I'll shoot for MQS and it will have to go to MQX next year.

Carmen yes thanks it is Sulky!!!!

Originally posted by hmerrill

Originally posted by Hollyrw

Oh Heidi! It's going to be fabulous. I really, really love your design, but then feathers are my absolute favorite. Are you going to have it done by the 15th?

Holly - obviously it won't be done by the 15th unless I didn't do anything else until then but hopefully they will still let me enter it. Last year I ran into the same problem with the wedding quilt and just had the trapunto part done and they still let me submit my entry and then a few weeks later I sent them a completed picture. Hopefully that will work again. If it doesn't then I'll shoot for MQS and it will have to go to MQX next year.

Carmen yes thanks it is Sulky!!!!

I sure hope you can get it into MQX. It's going to be another Heidi stunner!

Oh Heidi, there is nothing I can add to the comments already listed here but I wanted to chime in with my absolute admiration for this beauty. I am totally amazed. It is really beautiful. Thank you for sharing it and for giving those of us who are a bit timid about jumping into scary waters, much needed inspiration. I wish you only the best with it.

Originally posted by iedquilts

You press it on and when you're done marking you tear it off.

Heidi- that is stunning- i would not know where to begin.

question: what do you use for marking?

Irene in BC

Irena I'm really struggling with what to use to mark it. I'm going to do some tests tonight. I have a chalk pencil, mechanical by Bohn I think that gives a really nice mark but I'm not sure that it will last throughout the process. I have to press after it is marked so that is where my dilema comes in. I have the white clover pens that steam away but if I press will that remove the mark too? Not sure. I also have the Sewline pencil but I don't know if I iron on that if it will still wash out. I'll run a test by using the actual fabric. Iron and then try to wash the marks out. I really don't want to try to mark the applique areas first and then lay it back out and mark the rest. I think it will be too hard to get it lined back up perfectly. I'll keep you all posted on that.

Originally posted by iedquilts

question: what do you use for marking?

Irene in BC

Irene - I did my test tonight and I found that the clover pen won't work at all because as soon as I hit it with a hot iron all the marks disappered. That wouldn't be a problem except that my design will require me to iron freezer paper templates onto the background fabric and I would loose my design before I ever got it stitched. I think it would be way too hard to mark the applique area and stitch that and then go back and mark the rest of the design so that one is off the table.

The sewline pencil and the Bohn chalk marking pencil worked equally I think. the sewline pencil is thinner and doesn't rub off at all. The Bohn chalk pencil is a little thicker and will require me to sharpen as I go but the marks are very bold. They do rub off some with touching but not so much that I couldn't see the line enough to remark it. Neither became permanent with the iron which is good. The Sewline pencil rubbed right off where the chalked marks took a little more muscle. I'll let the fabric dry and then see if the marks re-appear.

Kay welcome aboard!!! If you belong to any forum it should be this one. We are a great big loving support group. It doesn't matter which machine you have either (of course I prefer APQS). Please share your stories and quilt knowledge and pics with us.

Heidi, I too am in love with your work! Thank you so much for explaining the process and the testing of your work as you go along, it's so interesting and so much fun to follow you making this quilt. I hope that you will continue to describe your process and answer questions along the way. We are all going to feel we're a part of your work and this quilt. You have your own personal cheering section for this quilt! Quilt On -- woohoo!

Kay - I color after. Yes you are right that the design would be obvious from the beginning but I guess I never thought to do it first. Besides on this one I'll be using the Quiltazoid for some of the designs and they would have to be stitched first.

Linda - I'm glad to share. I was hoping that you weren't thinking I was sharing too much. I love that when I say something you all understand exactly what it is I'm saying or asking! My non-quilty friends just give me a blank look. Hubby tries really hard to participate but I don't think I'll be able to get him to stay up until midnight looking at my designs too often! I hope to get to marking tonight but I'll have to go get Madie first. I will definitely be getting up early tomorrow morning! I work from home on Friday's so I can get an extra 45 minutes in since I won't have to fight traffic!

Heidi, I know exactly what you mean about sharing with quilters who understand the excitement and enthusiasm of our work. I have found myself telling my non-quilty friends about some quilty project and then I notice their eyes glaze over and slowly roll up in their heads. Well, it's a good sign for me to stop, don't you think??!?! That's what is so much fun here, everyone gets it! :)

Heidi, I too, am fairly new here and always stand in awe of your gorgeous work. This is the first time I've known what is involved in getting to the point of actually stitching the design. That's a ton of work in itself and so many things to think about and plan for.. . What a wonderful talent you have.

Looking forward to seeing all the steps to completion and knowing it will be out of this world beautiful!

Brenda in Florida

Archived