Featherlight or Grip Light Clamps

I read mixed reviews on the Featherlight clamps. That they break or that you can only grip the quilt backing.

Sometimes I like to grip both the backing and the batting.

I ordered the Grip-Lite Clamps. Four of them. I've had them on the frame for about a month now. I like them a lot.

At first I wasn't sure about the skinny velcro that is attached to Grip-Lite clamp handles, but now I prefer this velcro to the wider size I've always had on my previous clamps.

The Grip-Lites are easy to open and set in place and they grip very well.:)

I had the Featherlight clamps and hated them! They kept pullling apart. I use a lot of fleece for backing and they didn't like the thickness either.

I love, love my Grip-Lite clamps, like Sparkle said you really need 4 (2 sets). They hold well and cover a large area. They are made very well and the thin velcro holds just as well as the wide.

I made a set of 4 side clamps. For each one I used a drapery ring with a spring clamp on it. Then I cut a 12" section of 1" wide elastic. Run it through the ring, and sew to the end of your side leader tape. (You could just use the other end of the ones that you have.) Sew close to the ring, then up and down each side of the elastic. I have found that they hold better than anything I've used, are fast and easy to make,small, and cheap (I'm cheap and proud of it) and you can use as many as you need to. Four works for me, in all I made 6 for those realy weird quilts. The elastic allows you to remove and reclamp without changing the tension you get after each roll. The stretch gives just enough bounce to keep from damaging the fabric.

Let me know how yours turn out.

Well, I am a fan of featherlite. It took three years for one to crack. I bought the Grip Lites, too, but MUCH prefer feather lites. If you are doings slippery fabrics or are heavy handed ,featherlights are not for you. I just bought four more, and they are now made or black material that is much heavier duty thgan the originals.

I turned my original clamps around so the elastic is toward the quilt and the clamp hangs free. I use the clamp as a weight and on the side toward the quilt pin the elastic onto the quilt backing or to both as I desire. I use a large corsage pin to pin thru the elastic and quilt. This works for me and at no cost. I can go right to the edge and no clamps to hit at edge.

Irene Reising

Archived