napkin pattern from Moxie meeting

I've taken a picture of the pattern piece for the napkins. When I cut mine out, I place my 2 fabrics right side together and cut them out. I got 6 napkins out of 1 yd each of the 2 fabrics. Then I stitched 1/2" seam all around back stitching 3 or 4 stitches on each side of the points to reinforce them. Stitch all except for about 2" to have room to turn it right side out. The fold lines are on the pattern and are approximate. Reposition fabrics until it "Looks Right" to you, then press, then stitch on the fold so you can fold them easier later.

2195579870094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

And this shows the same napkin folded both ways

2522647150094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

This is the poem that I wrote to include with them so that people would know what they were!

These little napkins are a gift from me

They can be folded into a little tree.

If you fold them on their stitched lines

Then you may also change your mind.

They can go this way or they can go that,

Two different fabrics to go with your hat!

But whichever side you choose to use

Just know they were made with love for you.

What a GREAT idea, if I start now, I might get some done as gifts for NEXT Christmas. (I always get these wonderful ideas thinking I will start now and get things made and not have to stress, only to get to two weeks before Christmas and try to get last minute gifts done in time to give.....)

It's not that I really procratinate, just ask Mr. Margie, I already have some gifts put back for grandkids for NEXT year. He waits until the week of Christmas to do his shopping, says now that he has me, he doesn't need to do any. That the shopping is my job and he just smiles when people thank him and asks me later, what we gave them. :P:P:P

Hello PattyJo,

Thank you, I have added this pattern to my favourites as well.

Marjorie, Mr Margie sounds just like my husband..... Birthday cards, letters, keeping in touch and any presents that need to be bought are my responsibility. He maintains it was in the fine print of the Marriage Certificate. The comment about it being in my genes (being woman and all) he is only prepared to shout when he is well and truely out off reach!!:D

Have a great day,

Oh, I like the rick rack idea. Thanks Bobbie

And these can be out of non-Christmas fabric too. Out of the 56 napkins that I made as gifts only about a dozen were out of Christmas fabrics. I should have taken pics of all of them, but I forgot until some of them were alread shipped. Some were florals (springtime/summer) some were Hawaiian prints, there was one batch that were fall-ish and some were civil war fabrics. I made them to go with the decor in the homes of the recipients!!! So you don't have to wait until next Christmas to give them away. ;)

Thanks ladies - I got this idea from another longarm quilty friend that is in my local guild group. She brought the ones that she made to our little show and tell and had them all tied up with a little matching ribbon. She also said that hers were totally made from her stash fabrics. And that is what I did also, I only used fabrics from my stash. So this can be a Stash Buster and help you save $$$ for next Christmas!;)

love your napkins Patty Jo

I sawa that one embroidery website and wante to make some for christmas, but Christmas came upon me so fast like a train that it ran right over before I had a chance. Maybe now is the time to get a head start on all of those Christmas things we plan on making but never have the time and put them away for next year. Warning, dont put them away too well or another Christmas will pass before you find them:P:P

Hi Abigail

If you look at the pattern piece that I posted above, the dark lines are the fold lines for the finished 1/2 circle napkin. It looks like a little tree when folded on these lines. By using 2 different coordinating fabrics you can either have a dark side, or the lighter side showing the most. After turning, and stitching around the outside of the napkin, I fold it until it looks like these, then steam the dickens out of it to really mark the lines. Then I stitch the lines so that I don't have to try and figure it out again next time. The picture of the finished napkins have been used and washed twice since I made them and yet I was able to fold and press them very quickly. Does that answer your question? :)

Anna - I used a string and a pencil. Taped the string to a pencil, then measured out 9 1/2" of string and placed a mark on the string. Then I cut off about 22 or so inches of newsprint (end roll from the local newpaper office) and fold in half. Using the straight edge of the paper, I held the mark on the string on the center fold that I made. The I marked the semi-circle with the pencil on the end of the string. ;)

Jim - All the fold lines come together at about 7" from the right hand edge. But even with this, you can adjust as needed so that the zig zag of the fold looks right. Press well ( I used lots of steam) and stitch on the folded lines so you have it after they are washed. Then just iron, fold on the stitched lines and press. ;)

Archived