What are your favourite threads ?

Hi,

Having just started out and still practicing, I have only so far used glide thread on the top, and wondered what everyones favourite thread/ thread combination are?

I need to buy a stash of thread but don't want to make any costly mistakes.

Thanks in advance,

Janette

:P

I, too, use the Superior Thread's SoFine on top and Bottom line in the bobbin.

I also use Superior's Rainbows and Metallics on the top with the Bottom line in the bobbin.

I especially appreciate the way the metalics work by loostening the tension. They are beautiful on many quilts.

I rarely use the King Tut as I am very partial to Polyester threads.

I look forward to having the time to try out all of the other threads from Superior.

They give very good service and are very helpful when I encounter thread challenges.

Hi Janette,

Each machine is hand-built and has its own quirks and preferences. Start with friendly thread--single color (not variegated), any weight. See what your machine likes. Keep a chart of combos that you are successful with, noting the tension and threading that worked best.

Mine likes any weight top thread with BottomLine pre-wound bobbins.

So Fine and BottomLine cones with like-weight bobbins.

King Tut with BL bobbins--note this combo takes tweaking. It likes a two-hole thread path above the tensioner, lots of Sewer's Aid on both the cone and the bobbin, bobbin tension set at 15 or less on the Towa gauge (translates to "loosey-goosey") and the top tension set "too tight". The darker thread in a variegated is thicker due to the dyeing process and if you experiece breakage, it will usually be on the darkest color.

Maxi-loc works like a dream for me.

Signature likewise with same-thread bobbins or BL.

Shana is the "Queen of Any Thread"--she can tweak her machine into happiness with anything. So try what you like and find your tolerance level for fussy thread. Then use what you are good at!;)

I love Rainbows on top...with either So Fine or BL in bobbin.

So Fine top - BL bottom is always a great combination for me too.

I can also use Isacord embroidery threads. Love the sheen to them. I use it top and bottom.

Maxi Lock Swirls is nice too with So Fine in bobbin. I just have to make the proper tension adjustments...and I am ready to quilt. :)

My good old standard is Sew Fine in top and bobbin (Superior). I mostly use Sew Fine in the bobbins and also like Rainbows in the top. After those two combinations, I use King Tutt with the Sew Fine bobbin. Occasionally I will use other threads in the top, too. I have not enjoyed using Bottom Line in my bobbins on the Liberty, so I now save it for use in my embroidery machine and it is wonderful in those bobbins.

If I buy a thread for the Liberty and I don't like it, I just find another use for it in my Baby Lock (embroidery machine) or my Bernina.

I use anything I want to use on the top. Some just require a little more tweaking. :D Superior threads are my favorite, as they perform well, and they have excellent customer service. If you have tried everything and decide it must be the thread, they tell you to send back/or sometimes throw away the cone and they will replace it.

In the bobbin, I use Superior Bottom Line and then match the backing as close as possible if I don't want the thread to show. However sometimes, especially with a panto/computer overall design, I like the look of contrasting thread on the back, so will use whatever is on the front if that provides good look or something that contrasts with the backing. I don't use metallic in the bobbin, but anything else goes.

You just have to be willing to play with the tensions and tweak and work on a practice piece until you get them right.

The most important thing to remember is to invest in quality thread, never, never buy the cheapy thread at fabric outlets.

The next important thing to remember is that our longarms work best with 40 weight thread. If you want to use (cotton) 50 weight, wait until you have a couple of years' experience under your belt.

The consensus here in the forum is pretty much that Superior thread is just that, superior. I love my King Tut and use it almost exclusively. I don't like to use polyester thread on cotton quilts, but many others do.

Signature thread by A&E is also a very good quality.

Archived