NQR--cell phone pockets

I want to encourage each of you to have an accessible pocket in your coat in the car for your cell phone. Not in your purse, or the console, tray, but in your own coat. One that you can get to even with the seat belt on.

Yesterday, I was on my icy way to embroidery club (45 min drive) and 3/4 of a mile from my driveway, my van started to go left (where there was no left to go to). Nothing I could do but call out, Oh God, help please! And He did. The van went into the snow filled ditch on the east and swung around enough before laying on the passenger's side that I could see the row of trees on the west side of the road. There I am, hanging in my seat belt with the driver's door now the "roof" of the van. Not a scratch, bump, or bruise to any of me. The van will need to be totaled or worked on, but God had me in His own special "sling." Rescue came to my 911 call, cut out the windshield and helped me out and got me home. The lessons we or others can learn by the way we live our lives.

Because I had my phone in a breast pocket of my coat, I could reach the phone and call 911. If it had been in my purse or console I would not have been able to get it. My arms do not reach down across the center and the passenger seat to pick it up off the window as my van laid on its side.

I hope you get to continue quilting each day of your life that you want to. I would hate for you to not be able to call for help when needed.

I have even slit the lining in one winter coat and stitched in two pockets, one for the phone, the other for the small wallet. Works great to shop, but even better when I'm just "hanging around" in my seat belt waiting for the rescue guys. My story turned out well. I pray that each of you avoid this kind of story.

Madeyln

I am so happy to hear that you were rescued from your car and able to call for help. I have often gotten into the car and moved my phone out of my pants pocket as with the seatbelt on I could not get it out of my pocket. I usually put it in the console. Not a good idea I see. however in my current car I could make a call from my steering wheel and dashboard to any programmed number, that brings up to me though that I do not have 911 programmed into my console. I think I will do that next time I get into the call, just to be safe. Thanks for the tips and so glad that you are okay. God was certainly looking out for you!!

Thank you for all your good wishes for me. Still haven't heard the final dollar report of the van, but that will work out like it should. (Question is: will we?!)

I hope each of you have safe traveling in your to and fro, but that you can call when needed. Be safe. Time for me to get to work so I can get to therapy (fabric style!)

Praise the Lord Madelyn that you are Safe and Sound!

Thank you so much for the tip. We know a hunter who was bow hunting, slipped off his tree stand, and his sling held him up, but his phone was in his "pant leg pocket" and he could not reach it. He had reached a knife, after an hour or so, and was able to cut thru his pants to reach his phone and call for help. From now on, i'm wearing my cell phone in an upper pocket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Madelyn, Thank you for the wake up call on our cell phones. AND I'm so thankful that the Lord was looking out and taking care of you in such a bad situation. I'll be looking for jackets with a pocket I can get into while in a seat belt! I hope that you are still ok, sometimes those bumps and bruises show up later.

A few years ago I had a winter coat I liked but had no pockets for the $$ and phone, since I don't like to carry a purse everywhere I go, especially shopping, I made slits in the upper lining inside the coat and made pockets out of dress lining fabric and zippers. Then I hand stitched the zipper tape to the lining with the pockets in between the coat shell and lining. People thought it looked like the coat was purchased that way. I love the freedom those pockets give me.

With all the sewing that we each do, those pockets would be a simple fix for most depending on the coat we have.

Have a good weekend to all.

Madelyn - so glad you are okay and thanks for the nudge for all of us - I usually put mine in the console when I get in car -- where it would simply fall out if vehicle tipped or layed over -- need to give this some thought -- don't always have a pocket in coat or shirt. God Bless.

Patsy

Don't forget to keep those cell phones charged. A similar incident happened to a friend of mine on her way to quilt guild. She slid off of the road into a snow bank and although she wasn't hurt, the van was stuck. She tried to call home to have her husband come and help her, but her cell phone was dead. She was able to get out of the vehicle, walk several blocks to a pay phone, and when she called home, no one would answer because the have caller ID and didn't recognize the phone number.:(

Archived