first thread order

Oh so true!!!! Excited to really get started but oh what colors, what brand, etc. I love working with Superior. I'm a gotta see it kind of person so I grab a ton of thread when they're at the quilt shows (they always give me my wholesale price). Have fun and just go for it!!!:cool:

I remember my first order. I racked my brain for days, not knowing what quilts would come in and what colors I would need. And... I was trying to be thrifty. Now, six months later, I have a good selection. Not great, but good, and I've learned the hard way to be sure and have more than one cone of a few of the popular colors. There's too much stress involved when you run out of thread in the middle of a quilt.

Oh, and Superior is the company I use. They are nice to work with.

Jessica

I also vote for ordering from Superior. It's so nice to be able to boast that "I'm a Superior Quilter". I vote for what you like to start with. I built up my stash by having thread cards in my quilt check in bags to show the customer their choices. I've got a small dot marked next to the ones that I have in stock and can tell them that it's in the house and ready to go. I like to save on shopping, so often order several cones at once. However, things happen, and you've placed the order the night before, and then get a quilt where they want a color that you don't have. One of the many joys of working with Superior Thread is that you can call them and they will add that one to your order if it isn't already shipped. I'm sure the other companies do that too, but I can only comment on Superior. Besides, it's great thread!

I love my Superior Threads, and Bob is extra special with his Customer Service.

I order about thirty cones at a time so that I can save on the overseas postage.

I think I now have more thread than Fabric, but I like to have the choice of colours. Plus there a still a few empty spots in my thread rack. So I will order some new colours again next time with my refill colours.

Yes I love Superior Threads.

Lyn

• 3 weeks later...

I always order 2 of each color cone when I order, 1 cone for the machine and 1 for the bobbin winder, I almost always use the same color on the front as on the back, my customers love it when I used a rainbow on a pretty solid back, I used bottom line or rainbows & highlights, my machine likes the tribal polys, and got hooked on bottomline when I spent a day with Karen Mc Tavish, bottomline is awsome for feathering, it is so fine that your backtracking hardly shows. One other thing I do, I have a bobbin casing for each thread type, really helps in taming the tension monster.

Just my early morning, coffee drinkin, thinkin I should be workin, thinkin, (He He)

Have a good day girls

Laura

Once you start longarming, you end up with a thread addiction in addition to a fabric addiction! I primarily use Superior and Fil-tec thread, others as needed or if I like the color. Start out with your basics and then go crazy as $ permits! It adds up really fast. I think bobbincentral.com has Fil-tec threads with a 10% off this month. Check it out.

Hi Penny,

I usually buy and use Superior thread, but I heard about this thread on another long arm group I belong to. Rheingold thread. The seller is Dawn Rameriz "Pajama Quilter". (antiquegametrader) The price is certainly good. I ordered 3 cones (5000 yds). (free shipping if you order 3)--- Yesterday! I've never used Rheingold, but it sounds comparable to the LAVA I've been using and I've heard it's very good thread form other sources. If it is---I'll be hooked!

http://shop.ebay.com/antiquegametrader/m.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A1%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A2528&_ipg=25&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_pgn=1

When I first started long arm quilting I used Signature, and I still like it, but I've slowly replaced a lot of it with Superior. I've not tried the Fil-Tec threads, but I have used their Magna Quilt bobbins---wow, I like those!

I guess what I'm saying is I just find good quality threads, and what works, and I don't have a lot of colors as I stick with the basic variageted tones, and light, dark and medium of one color of solid threads. Sort of based on what is in the basic Crayola box colors.

Have fun choosing your new threads! I used to have an Ulimate II with Intell. It was not picky about threads! I have a different long arm now---and it seems to like every thing I've fed it too! :)

I'll chime in to say that I am a Superior gal as well. I love Bob's business attitude and the customer service he requires is awesome. I think I was sold when at the first LA show I went to a customer came up to him as he was helping me and I was trying to decide what to get. She said that she was having trouble with one cone of her thread. He asked her a couple of questions and then said, which color. She told him and he grabbed one and said here, we can make a bad cone too once in a while. She asked if she should send back the old cone and he said no, I trust you that it is bad. That, to me, was customer service!

Plus the thread is great as well.

Archived