NQR - Olympic Torch Run

The torch is being run down Robson Street in Vancouver right now by 92 year old Dal Richards. Yes, I said run!

Opening ceremonies begin in 9 hours, 26 minutes and the city is buzzing! I have a feeling a LOT of people called in "sick" today! ;)

From what I've heard from someone that was at the "dress rehearsal" a couple of days ago, the ceremonies are going to be incredible. I hope many of you will take the time to watch them.

Since I can't stand to just sit and watch TV, even for the Olympics, I decided to start a project I've put off since my Dad passed away almost 17 months ago. I knew that cutting up his shirts to make a quilt would be sad and I just didn't have the heart to start it yet.

Now I will piece and quilt it during the Olympics so everytime I look at it, there will be wondrous memories mixed with the sad.

GO! CANADA GO! We WELCOME the World! :D

post--13461903452789_thumb.gif

I can't just sit and watch tv either, but my DSM is in the family room so it works out great because I can be cutting out material or piecing quilts or embroidering and I can just look up and see what's happening on tv. But my Lenni is in one of the spare bedrooms and there's no tv in that room. So I'll just get started on my next quilt while enjoying the Olympics. :)

Just yesterday I followed a link posted on some? forum that gave instructions using men's shirts. I was sure I saved it, but of course I didn't and now I can't find it! It was 9-patch and Snowball blocks. Does anyone else have this link? The pattern was perfect for my Dad's quilt.

I think it's this one from Margie?

Originally posted by lym95

My SILs and a few friends (last count we were at 10) are doing our second group quilt. We are using the pattern Ranchers Daughter, we are each making one and they all will be scrappy. I made up the quilt as a donation quilt for the Catholic school I teach at first, so I already know a few adjustments to make: we are making it bigger, so 16 fat quarters and 5 yards of background fabric. Also cut 81/2 in sq, instead of 3/8, trim after piecing. Link to pattern by Debbie Caffrey:

http://www.debbiescreativemoments.com/free-patterns/ranchers-daughter-instructions.pdf

Hi Shana,

No, that's not it. It was made with 5 light shirts and 2 dark shirts, and the blog it was on had step by step instructions with colored pictures.

I should probably post this under another forum! It doesn't belong on the Olympic Torch Run. :P

VERY sad news that an athlete died this morning on a training run on the Luge. A very young athlete from Georgia (Russia). :(

Hi Darlene,

I too have a box of shirts that were my dad's and plan to make a quilt from them one day. But it's still too soon for me to start that project as it has only been 9 months since his passing. So I'm looking/collecting patterns right now and the link that Lisa posted is great. I hope that is the one your looking for.

Definately going to be watching the Opening Cerimonies tonight * GO CANADA* ...but I heard that the last torch bearer is NOT going to be Wayne....so I guess we will just have to watch and see. Sad news about the athlete.

Thank you Lisa! That's the one. Dad wasn't an athlete, but he was a champion in every sense of the word.

I've spent my share of cash on Robson Street too! LOL

As for who will carry the final torch and light the cauldron, a lot of names are being bandied about. There are a lot of famous Canadians in town right now, among them Michael J. Fox. I think it would be great if he carried it. He certainly has the spirit of a true champion!

Originally posted by birgitquilts

You won't believe what my 13-year old son is going through to figure out which coverage of which competitions he will be able to watch on TV - here in Germany being 9 hours ahead of Vancouver local time!

And I'll join him to watch...

Birgit

Hi Birgit! Here's an internet site your son might enjoy. It's our local CTV news Olympic site.

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/

That is great that you were able to see the torch make its final run. In 1980 when the winter olympics was in Lake Placid, NY, the torch went up the main road, route 9 north to Lake Placid and I was able to see it.

I like the idea of using your father's shirts for a very special quilt. That is so nice.

after my dad passed away, I took his shirts and made 3 lap robes from them. He also always had a red bandana handkerchief in his pocket. So I bought some fabric (no I did not use his snot rags) and put some of that in the quilts. Dad always wore the blue chambray work shirts. Added homespuns and the turned out beautiful. I got one of the quilts, (Dad lived with me the last year of his life), one went to my sister, Janet Mitchell, who faithfully drove down from KC often to help me with Daddy, and the other went to my baby sister, who took time out of her busy schedule taking care of 5 little ones of her own and came 3 nights a week to feed Daddy supper after he had a stroke and couldn't feed himself. We all have such wonderful memories of being together taking care of our Dad.

Darlene, I pray you get great comfort while making the quilt. Your dad would love the idea.

Archived