Peeved about Old Quilt Guild - I am venting here!

Okay...I guess I just need to vent.

My old quilt guild..the one I left last year...just had an article published in the local newspaper.

They were very uncouth in their writings about shopping at an out of town quilt shop and how the credit cards were smoking! Then they commented about going to another show in March and how they are going to visit 6 more quilt shops and spend even more $$.

Now, I was very angered because we have one quilt shop here and a small variety store that both handle fabric and notions for us. What a slap in the face I thought for our local businesses.

Makes me glad I quilt the guild last year..and ashamed at the same time that I ever belonged.

I want to write and send a letter to the guild explaining why I am ashamed of them. Any thoughts?

Kristina, I too left a guild for many of the same reasons. I have a saying I heard years ago that is just right for this situation. Advice (letter), wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it. I have met people like this and I try to rise above it. My peace and serenity are more important to me. If you have seen this bad behavior I'd be willing to be others have too. JMTC.

Fondly,

Nora

The local shops know that I have not been a part of this guild for some time. At least I am not associated with this poor behavior. :)

The funny thing..the lady who wrote the article...owns a business here and would hate for others to take their business elsewhere. :D Which, to be honest, I will do from now on. I do not think that I could stand the sight of any of these ladies. I am sick over this!

I 100% agree with Nora and Linda. It ain't gonna do you no good and just might make things worse for you. Just let it go. I think down the road, these thoughtless bimbos will get bitten in the butt. What goes around comes around.

OK Kristina, a question I had was, Why did your Local Newspaper feel the "need" or see the "importance" of publishing this (not so fabulously-filled non-informative) editorial or story or whatever you want to call it? Doesn't your local paper have better things in which to fill their space? Seems a bit odd to me,,,,, If you are going to complain to anyone, complain to your newspaper editor about newsworthy items and not waste space publishing the silly goings-on of a bunch of ladies and the quilt shops they have been to or plan to visit. Sheesh!

Wow, if you could write them a letter but turn it around to purchasing from the local stores, now that it would provide the quilters with more varity of fabric because the merchents would need to replace the shelves now empty and how that would help boost the ecomony of the town. Oh well. I agree with Linda!!! Go for it!!!

Good point Shana. To be honest, there was more in the article including some classes that the guild wishes to teach in order to help those interested in quilting.

I do not know why the newspaper did not edit the article. I can certainly send a letter to the editor. I like this idea the best. Three of us who left the guild all see this as poor behavior. Maybe the editor will see more than one letter. :D

Thanks everyone for letting me vent. :)

OK take the high road. In fact, if you want to (and I know you will do a great job of it) why don't you write a letter to the editor and ask him to publish it. In this letter, no pointing fingers or being specific, but perhaps you can get your point across loud and clear to everyone in your area about the importance of supporting your local economy. Make it really shine. These silly ladies might not even realize the basis of your letter, but it will make you look like the someone who is sensitive, considerate and thoughtful. Maybe this will be good therapy for you rather than revenge. Kill 'em with kindness. (just an idea...)

I do believe in supporting local shops, but if a shop doesn't have what is desired then people go elsewhere (unless they let the shop owner know what interests them). Also there is the fact that shopping in a new store can be exciting and people open up their wallets with budgets forgotten. I am not defending their actions or the article just pointing out facts.

I do believe that taking the high road is a better solution than blasting them in a response to the newspaper. Maybe a campaign to support local businesses would be a good way to start. Maybe getting the LQS to start talking to the quilters who come to buy fabric and seeing what else would fill their needs in classes, fabrics and notions.

In my area, there are 2 LQS's and one carries more of what I would buy. I like the feel better of one store over the other, it is just more inspiring to go in there and look for fabric.

And as Linda mentioned...Karma will kick in. Or as another old saying goes "What goes around, comes around".

Kristina -

I love a good shophop - no denying it. After all, who hasn't been on a fabric high?

I'm hoping that these women were just so pumped about their plans that they lost thier sensitivity in their excitement.

And even if it is a more sinister group - well, in the end - everyone gets what they deserve anyway. Why lower yourself to their level?

You are smart to vent here. Take a deep breath and chalk it up to 'stupid women syndrome.' And be VERY glad your radar got out you of that group. It sounds like it wasnt a good fit.

The paper's editorial page would be a great place to bring the problem of the locals not supporting the locals to your communities attention. I'm sure your "old guild"would feel a little of the heat and maybe think twice before permoting shopping out of town. I know that the local businessies that support that guilds activities and charitable events would not appriciate thier actions. When it comes to a community what goes around comes around.

As a shop owner myself, I can see both sides of this "behaviour!" Every shop has some of the same merchandise, but also a lot of different merchandise. It is exciting to visit a new shop and find new things, see new samples, and spend money with friends- been there done it myself. I would only hope that on such a trip, people would be aware of what their LQS carries and save those purchases till they get home.

I have had good customers/friends show me they're exciting finds and it turns out it's something I carry in my shop too. This can be discouraging ( but probably means it's time to move things around again!), but I try and look at it this way- the fact they are showing me means they really had not noticed it in my shop (thus the reason I should move things again) they just wanted to share their excitement with me!

Your former guild members probablly were just having fun and were a little thoughtless when writting the article. If not a letter either to the guild or to the paper would probably fall on deaf ears.

speaking from experience, I did own LQS 9 yrs ago!! During guild mtg. the guild I belonged to would discuss outings and shopping out of town. I can count on one hand the number of local members who were reg. customers of mine. My business came from the tourist trade. When I decided to close shop and had sales for going out of business, the local guild members were the first there when the doors opened buying up fabric!! I put back all the Moda, Aunt Grace, and anything else I loved!! I still have and use that fabric or give it away but I would not sell it to the locals!! I make it a point to always support my local shop!! I dont think the guild members realize what they are doing and how hurtful their actions are. A letter to the editor may wake up the whole community.

I think the difference in your reaction is living in a smaller town vs not living in a smaller town. In my town there are lots of quilt shops and my guild saying they were going shopping and spending all over would be nothing alarming. We go all over and make big trips. That being said we also support our local shops but not exclusively since we have so many shops.

Shana always gives good advice!

Hi, Kristina,

Knowing at least one of the parties involved (maybe all!) I would have to agree with Shana....take the high road. No point in making your life miserable. You are bound to run into these people no matter how hard you try to avoid them. It is unfortunate that the paper was not a little more judicious about the article. The joys of living in a small town!

We had a similar situation here in Elko that resulted in the dissolution of the guild after 20+ years. No one wants to start another guild or quilting group for fear of this type of situation developing again. The worst thing is now there is no place for quilters to gather and share the love of quilting. It is sad that a few can ruin it for the rest of us.

Hang in there!

Yes, Lisa...you do know these ladies. That is why I am crushed. I feel ashamed to have ever belonged to this group. What an embarrassment to shop around town after this article. I have been trying to come up with something to put in the paper...and so far, nothing! It may just stop here on this forum. I would love to say something...but the correct words are not coming out on paper.

I have quit wearing my sweatshirts though that have the guild name...at least in public. They have become workshirts. I do not want anyone to think that I am still a part of this!

Thanks all for the advice. I really needed to vent and you all let me. What a great group of friends you all are! :)

This must be a universal problem with some quilt guilds. One of the shops in our area always donates to our quilt days. So when my friends and I are in charge of a project, we buy from her. However, we have another group of ladies who always go to a shop out of town. There's no excuse for this rudeness.

I would write a letter to the editor saying how much I enjoyed reading the article, but was surprised that they forgot to mention the local quilt shops that support the community. You're making your point and reminding everyone that your local shops help the local economy without pointing out the rudeness of the guild members.

• 1 year later...

OK, I don't mean to be preachy, but I attended a funeral this past week and this quote was on a large poster board. Apparently, it was the deceased's favorite quote. They passed out copies of it on small cards. I put one in my wallet and I am trying very hard to live by it. I thought it might apply here. When people start to get to me, I re-read the card:

People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered,

Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish motives,

Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies,

Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you,

Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight,

Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous,

Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow,

Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have and it may never be enough,

Give the world the best you have anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;

It was never between you and them anyway.

Mother Theresa

Archived