Routine Maintenance

Good Morning,

According to the manual, you should clean and oil the hook assemble between each quilt. My question is; do you do this no matter what size the quilt is; ie king vs baby? I will be loading my second quilt to do today, the first being a lap size. Thanks for the input.

I too agree it depends on threads...if really linty, then I too blow out between bobbins and if a large quilt I sometimes even clean about half way done.

My general rule is deep cleaning before starting a large quilt...large lap or bigger, and the a deep clean everyother crib. Oil only when needed on wicks and oil in bobbin a tiny drop each bobbin change. Now that's how I do it there is other who do it different.

See, I knew if I answered this question....there would be 93 contridictions. So, you all say you oil between bobbins. Are you saying while you have a quilt on the machine, and you have just went through one bobbin, you stop and oil, then try to wipe out the hook assembly and pray you don't get oil on the quilt?? Not me. I know we all have different styles. I really, really clean between quilts, unless, like in the original posted question, I do a small quilt. If I just do a small quilt I blow out the lint in between quilts then I wipe it out and go again. I just make sure there is not lint left over from the previous quilt. If I am working on a quilt larger than a baby quilt...my machine/table and everything involved gets a bath:)

I clean and oil the bobbin (hook) assembly before starting to work each day. No matter what size quilt you are working on, you should oil the bobbin before starting each day. You may need to oil the hook more than once per day depending on how linty the threads you're using are, and how long you quilt. I generally use so fine or bottom line in the bobbin, so no lint build up, therefore only one oiling necessary, but if you use linty threads, you may need to oil more often and definately blow out the area between bobbins.

I'm probably a bad "Housekeeper" :D I can't get a tiny drop....I get a glug just about every time. I only reoil between quilts. I don't do it every morning, but then again, I don't quilt every day. If I clean and oil. Then I run my finger around to see how things feel, if it needs oil...it gets a drink....I know I'm bad ;)

LOL! You Bonnie, PattyJo and MB are so funny...

I pretty much ditto what everyone says about keeping the bobbin assembly clean with blowing out with air, WD40 and oiled regularly.

I always, always blow out my bobbin area after every bobbin change. I blow inside the case, and blow the hook area. I sure do love my air compressor! Best investment I ever made. I use it daily.

Mary Beth, you gotta get one of those precision oil droppers like I have. I gotta say it is the bees knees. Ever since I started using it, I never over oil (glugs, as you say) and no leaky oily bottle like I used to have. In fact I sometimes do oil my bobbin hook assembly "during" the quilt when it starts to sound dry and not running so smooth. To ensure I don't get any oil residue on the quilt, I just pop the bobbin case back in and run it back and forth a few times on a scrap piece. When the little precision oil dropper gets low I refill from my big oil "glug" bottle.

PS: Regarding housekeeping. Well the sun is really starting to come up at that angle in the sky and now I can see all of the dust that has accumulated in places... well, anyway, I will just say that the dust looks so pretty sparkling in that sunlight. :cool: I admire it briefly and then move on to quilting. The pretty sparkly dust can just wait until it's officially Spring and that is on March 21 so we have a few more weeks to ignore the dust before the official "spring cleaning" begins.

And that, my friends, is my $.02 on housekeeping.

PS: I was glancing through Matt Sparrow's link to Quiltposium and found this quote.

post--13461903619701_thumb.jpg

I oil at the start of my quilting day and as needed--after a while you can hear the bobbin assembly asking for a drink! Really. No, it's not me drinking--it's the bobbin.

I deep clean ala Shana-the-queen-of-WD-40 once a week. Her advice is right on the money.:cool:

Get a small one. Nothing huge. I got one of the small ones from Sears (Craftsman) because I had a gift card I needed to use up. But there are all kinds out there at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowes; get one for $100 or less; don't spend too much $$ on a larger compressor you don't need.

Archived