I need ideas on quilting this Mexican Star quilt

Hi all you people with talent ooo-zing out of your brains.....yes, you! Can you give me any ideas on how you would quilt this beautifully pieced quilt? My customer just brought it to me and I have a week or so to think on it until it will go on the machine. Any ideas out there?:)

Here is a picture of it.

2647959730094956607S600x600Q85.jpg

Thanks in advance

I think this is the one Sew Batik sells in a kit. I can send the cover photo on the pattern of the quilting if you like. I doesn't show up in a scan or I'd do it that way. It has a sort of Greek key in the white squares next to the stars. Then wavy radiating lines coming out into the corners. I can try to draw it??

okay...now I am exhausted from resizing!

anywho...remember this was done on a dsm. I would probably do something similar to it now though given the chance.

In the solid blocks outside the mexican star..I tried to mimic the design that was turned back.

Wow..have I come a long way! That's all I can say. Hope this helps give you some ideas!! :)

Wow Pat--that is a gorgeous top!!

Does it stop at the white border? I see a pretty purple behind it, but I can't tell if that's part of it or not.

As for quilting, does the customer want the flipper-floppers kept loose?(technical term for those folded-back cathedral window style triangles)

That makes it hard to do CCs without catching the loose edges. I guess your option would be careful placement of a continuous-line block design to cover the purple flowers. Then you would need something in the white squares in between--looks like starts and stops in those.

OK--I will back up a bit. You have one "flower" at the top, then two flowers/three/two/one. Find a way to do continuous quilting starting at the center yellow square of the first flower. Just a for-instance--pull up your thread in the upper left corner of the yellow center square (if your customer is OK with it--I would use gold thread!) Do a squiggle or wave across to the left in the sashing keeping the stitching in the top half of the strip. Make a turn at the end and squiggle back to the lower left corner of the yellow. Or do a wave out and an overlapping wave back. That fills the sashing and will be quilted in each sashing section as you come to it. From the corner, throw a petal/hook/petal to fill the two petals of the flower and the small square. You are back in the corner and ready to stitch the next section of sashing. Stitch down to the seam in the sashing, back up, flower petals, sashing, flower until you complete the first flower. Then take on the next row of two flowers, etc, until the flowers are done.

My brain is now empty.:o

Have fun with the white areas--you will shine on those, I know!!

Linda - I printed off your novel (LOL) so that I could go to the quilt and draw with my finger according to your description. I'll give it a go and then try and describe it to my customer. ;)

Oh and the purple is her backing just laying on the table behind the top. Isn't it georgeous!!!!!

LinneaMarie - thanks for posting the pic of the pattern cover. She actually left me the pattern so that I could see how they quilted it. She liked parts of it but not all of it, so she wanted to get the ideas. But you are a sweety to put the link in for all of us. :)

Oh, Patty Jo, in the large light blue blocks I see spirals... and in the small square with the corner of dark fabric, I'd do the same.

I'd put feathers about 5-7 parts in each of the curved ends of the flowers, on the outside edge. I would make tiny spirals in the small blue blocks.. and pebbles in the white background... and probably mess it all up.

It is so pretty and so many good ideas, I'm glad I'm not the one to choose the suggestions put forth to you, and the owner.

And Please show us a finished pict. .

Archived