Catherine ... aka Seakitten...won the Bernina at the banquet!

It was amazingly exciting! I am home now, and I guess I will have to wait a couple of months to actually get my hands on the prize (remember, I call my Millie "Mary Ann" 'cause of that three-month long "three hour tour" she took getting here), but I am really stoked anyway. They let me take the manual home so I can know how to work it when it gets here. This presumes I would ever read a manual. I just hope I remember how to sew. I guess I should, since I do teach piecing, so now I will have a great little machine to show off in class. It is the "Bernette", which should be easily portable (I hope). Anybody out there have that model? I had never seen it before, but it looks great. Thanks for all the good wishes.

PS. I am not "Kay", that's someone else, who was also there, just Catherine

Which model of the Bernette did you get? The Bernette machines are the tiny Bernina's....kind of like there answer to the Janome "Gem's". I haven't touched one in a few years but the ones I did...were good machines, they sew just like a Bernina, just not as heavy or sturdy.

Hi Catherine, I have a Bernette H 70, and we carry it around to Sew Day, Grace Quilters at church, and on trips with us.. we are land bound on traveling.

A very BIG Congratulations on your new baby, you will love it.

I like it actually better than the full Berninas, as I can use generic feet on it, without having to buy one of the things, that lets the Berninas use them. Is it called an attachment???

Actually I added two sewing machines lately, bought a Singer 99K, made from 1954 to 1956.. it is exactly like the first machine I bought myself, While in my Sr. year of High School, and it was new. Then we were at the Thrift Shop, a couple weeks ago, and I saw a nice sized sewing cabinet with two leaves that opened, and asked about it and said sold, he said I heard that! It was good I did as another gal we know walked up and commented she planned to buy it. I said sorry, I already did.. and the man said, I heard it. Phew.. guess she'd been there quite a while and we had just come in less than 3 min. before. The machine in it is a Wizzard, made by Western Auto, and it also has the knee power control. It is so quiet, and sews a lovely seam that we decided to just leave the machine in it and use it. We had a friend who repairs pre-computer machines. He put a light in it, and the fixture, adjusted the flywheel so it didn't run the needle and fill a bobbin at the same time, and lubed the right spot to make the zig-zag lever switch back and forth.

Then I have a Singer Serger, not like my old Viking.. and a Viking Designer 1-USB, and the New Home Treadle.. circa about 1938.

Oh, I still have the old stretched White rotary quilting machine, and best of all, Penny, my Lenni.

Wow, how did I get to all of this.

Archived