What to do???

Let me just begin my post with this: I am an idiot!! I loaded a custom quilt for a new customer after I'd measured the backing and the top. Unfortunately for me, numbers and I do not mesh well.

I have two rows left and then the border; I avoided the quilt all day yesterday (avoidance is how I deal (or don't deal) with things:o) because I know I'm going to either have to take it off the frame and piece a bit of fabric from the top of the backing to the bottom (lining up the striped fabric as she did) or just stitch right to the very bottom. Had I paid attention when loading this quilt, I would have had at least 2-3 inches at the bottom.

So...stitch to the bottom or take it off and piece the back?? (Please note: sending this e-mail just prolongs my ability to avoid this quilt--I should be in the yurt working on it!;))

Dory,

LOL I think we have all been there at least once...I know I have! If you can manage to still have backing I'd keep quilting, even if it is close. you can always staple on an extra strip if you just need a little more to hold the back out right. If it is really close I'd suck it up and make the seam now so that I didn't end up with a seam right on the edge. I always forget the measurements so now when I measure I write it down on a post-it note and keep it right next to my machine. That way I know what I have to deal with right from the start. I hate when I don't get enough extra.

Oh My! Yesterday I started loading a quilt. Opps, no extra on the sides. Ouch! So I called the gal and she for some reason had cut the edges off and still had it. I was lucky this time. I went over got the fabric and stitched it right back where it had been REMOVED. I'll finish it today! I so feel for you! I agree with Heidi!

Oh thanks for the idea of stapling extra fabric on when you are close. Dory, Mary Beth, Kristina and everyone else, I've walked in your shoes too. At least I'm learning, although terribly slowly. Yesterday I tried to piece the backings to 2 different quilts before I found one that had enough backing fabric. Thank goodness I was able to find more of one of the backing fabrics (It's a commission quilt) this morning, and the other one is choosing to go with something totally different for the part that would be missing in the middle. Even with all that, I still managed to get my quilt loaded and finished up this morning.

If there is a mistake to be made, I have done it, or I will do it. Guaranteed. I am an idiot to the max. In fact, this has happened to me not once, not twice but several times. I never learn. I feel your pain. I have just unpinned the bottom and brought my sewing machine over to the longarm table. I actually sewed down the extra backer fabric while the quilt was still on the frame. pressed the seam and pinned the backer back on and went along my business as usual. Yep...dorkus majorus is me!

The really troubling thing is that this is not the first time...nor will it be the last, I'm sure *sigh* I have just quilted the second to last row of back and then rolled the quilt to see where it ended. I had plenty of fabric on one side and just barely on the other. Then I looked at the top to see how much I could cut off and piece and where the seam would be. If I cut and piece, The most I could add is 2 1/2" which would make that seam awfully close to the bottom. I've just sewn on a piece of muslin, which should work, but could only sew it onto the shorter side (the backing wasn't squared--I never do--so the two pieces that meet aren't even at the bottom).

I'm just getting ready to call my customer and offer her one of three options:

1) I continue on with the muslin attached to the one side or continue on without the muslin and just baste as low as I can,

2) Cut the section from the top and add it to the bottom or

3) She has more material and I can put a real piece on.

We'll see what she says...I HATE this.:mad:

And Shana, how in the world do you sew more backing on with the quilt still on the frame???

Hurray! Glad to hear that the problem is solved. Now if only there were a way to not have the problem in the first place.

Shana, inquiring minds want to know how the heck did you bring your sewing machine down to your LA and piece the backing without actually removing it from the frame? Or do you have one of those sewing machines that they advertise on late night info-mercials that you can hold in your hand and hem the skirt while you wear it?

Originally posted by DoryJM

....And Shana, how in the world do you sew more backing on with the quilt still on the frame???

Originally posted by BethDurand

.....Shana, inquiring minds want to know how the heck did you bring your sewing machine down to your LA and piece the backing without actually removing it from the frame?

Well, kids, I just pushed the machine to the far end, unpinned the bottom leader, rolled it up and over to the table side of the frame, brought my sewing machine over to the table, plugged it in, and as I sewed, I "skooched" my way from one edge to the other piecing the two. Then I brought my iron over and carefully pressed the seam line open. Returned the backer over to the leader, pinned back on and went on my merry way. I've done this a couple of times so I know it can be done! :P

Dory,

Sorry to hear of the frusteration you were having but glad you were able to solve the problem.

I just got back from MQS and missed you not being there:(:(

Next year we will get into some trouble!!

By the way we saw a picture of your quilt top in Carla Barrett's Quilt Whisper class. There were three of us in the class from the forum and we all recognized your name!!

Take care,

Lisa:)

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Dory...this ain't my first rodeo either!!!

You would think after the first or second time I would have learned my lesson....not!

I like to test things several times to really be sure its a screw up....or at least it sure seems that way! Its taken me years, but I've finally learned that when cooking and actually using a recipe, read through the incredients several times and maybe even add things in order. I've had some exceptionally flat cakes in the past:D:P

Originally posted by lisalnewman

Dory,

By the way we saw a picture of your quilt top in Carla Barrett's Quilt Whisper class. There were three of us in the class from the forum and we all recognized your name!!

Lisa:)

Hey, I'm famous...or maybe I should say, infamous!!:D

I may be in the same "boat" with the quilt on my frame now. I squared the quilt and carefully cut and squared the back. Things going great, then for some reason I realized that I added the required 4 inches to the backing to allow for quilting but only to one end and side. Hummm, that's why my sides seemed short and, omg, I wonder if I'll run out of backing at the end? Dory, I'm also avoiding finishing my son's birthday quilt (31 March, this year), I've been focusing on piecing some other quilts.

Archived