HELP! Tread bleeding!!! and I am getting Fat!

This quilt is trying to kill me!!! The quilt has 5 borders all of which are wavy. So when I discovered the borders were waving (after on the machine and compuquilter is running 4th row) I ate a little bit of "crunch and munch" then I sprayed with starch and steamed. Using Bonnies method after emailing her in a panic....ok before that I ate a little bit more "crunch and munch". Then I began row 5-6 working great. I just noticed that the bobbin thread (Superior Pre-wound super bobs color 605 red) is now running on the back which is white. I just called Superior and they are great by the way, but they have never had this happen and aren't sure how to help. Hung up and ate more "munch and crunch". I now have to finish the quilt and either go to the store for "munch and crunch" or maybe one of you gals have some idea on how to get the dye out!!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!

Brendalee

Hi, Brendalee,

Can you wash the quilt when you are done quilting? I hand dye fabrics and I highly recommend Synthrapol. You have to use really hot water but it almost always takes the excess dye out. I just used it a couple of weeks ago on a hand stitched embroidery project that ran. I have also heard that if you take the Shout color catchers, get them wet and lay them on the run they will take it out. I have not personally tried that method. Good luck!!!

Originally posted by hmerrill

I would finish the quilt, have the customer put the binding on and then soak in synthrapol. Make sure you don't put in any heat so you don't set the color. Let it soak as long as is needed. That will remove the excess dye.

Not trying to be contrary, but Synthrapol requires really hot water to work...so even though it's scary, have your customer use the hottest water available. I have dyed fabric for years and it does work. Here is a link about Synthrapol.

Paula Burch specifically states you should use 140 degree water:

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/synthrapol.shtml

Good luck!!

I meant don't put it in heat before soaking in the synthrapol. Yes it does require hot water which is scary. I usually use very warm but not boiling hot.

Heidi

Originally posted by lisae

Originally posted by hmerrill

I would finish the quilt, have the customer put the binding on and then soak in synthrapol. Make sure you don't put in any heat so you don't set the color. Let it soak as long as is needed. That will remove the excess dye.

Not trying to be contrary, but Synthrapol requires really hot water to work...so even though it's scary, have your customer use the hottest water available. I have dyed fabric for years and it does work. Here is a link about Synthrapol.

Paula Burch specifically states you should use 140 degree water:

http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/synthrapol.shtml

Good luck!!

BrendaLee, so sorry you are having this problem! I hope the Synthrapol does the trick.

I'd reel thread off of one of those bobbins and wrap a piece of white cotton fabric around it and let it sit for a while to see if the color bleeds from the thread to the fabric. Then I'd contact Superior Thread again and send it to them so they can see what is happening with their bobbin.

My comfort food would be multi-grain crackers and American, mild cheddar or a really good colby cheese. Cheese and crackers are the staff of life.

Synthrapol has worked for me. It was a fabric bleed, not thread, but it was a big scary brown stain the size of a dinner plate in a mostly white quilt! I called the customer and she gave me the OK. I finished the quilting, trimmed the quilt and took it to the laundromat. Washed it once with Synthrapol and once with Synthrapol and oxyclean. You would never have know it had happened.

Hope it all works out for you too.

well ladies,

thanks again for all of your help! I finished the quilt and took it to the Moxie group and we determined that it wasn't the thread. It was actually the dye from the front coming thru the needle holes.

So I plan on giving the lady back her quilt and letting her know to be really careful and consider synthrapol when washing.

I am just thankful that it is her fabric and not my thread! yahoo.

The crunch and Munch gave me a horrible stomache ache and it really didn't help my diet either. Oh well there is always another day to start dieting! next time I am going with the Peanut M&Ms!

LOL

Brendalee

Originally posted by sewingjunky

well ladies,

thanks again for all of your help! I finished the quilt and took it to the Moxie group and we determined that it wasn't the thread. It was actually the dye from the front coming thru the needle holes.

So I plan on giving the lady back her quilt and letting her know to be really careful and consider synthrapol when washing.

I am just thankful that it is her fabric and not my thread! yahoo.

The crunch and Munch gave me a horrible stomache ache and it really didn't help my diet either. Oh well there is always another day to start dieting! next time I am going with the Peanut M&Ms!

LOL

Brendalee

Glad you figured it out....but I would have been there two fisting it...one in the Crunch and Munch and the other in the Peanut M&M's.....

Archived