border dilemma

Customer has inserted a red accent border flap on this sampler.. ( only sewn down on the one seam.)

the way it lays, it's chopping the points on all the hst. how should i quilt this? e2e & go over the red? stop

away from red and do the navy & print borders separate?

sugestions please.

Irene in BC

post--13461904155136_thumb.jpg

Irene,

I've seen this done before and I don't think they think about it. If you go with an e2e then you will need to tac that red down or your hopping foot is going to get caught in it. I would tac it down and do e2e if that was what the customer wants. If not I'd do just cc's and lift the border where you can to finish the cc.

I would call her and ask her to come and get the quilt and press the flap in the other direction, as it is intended to be. I agree that it shouldn't be quilted over. (Why would you put a dimensional strip on the quilt, then quilt over it??)

Explain to her your problem with the foot getting caught on it and it covering the tips of the triangles, making them difficult to quilt. If she opts to have you quilt it down, then that's her decision.

Hi Irene,

I do alot of quilts with this type of accent border and each one is treated as a custom. I usually quilt a panto in the body, SID by the red insert/accent strip and then do a separate border treatment. My customers do not like having the (red) accent/insert border strip quilted down with an allover panto. Find out from your customer what she wants and take it from there...if she does not want to pay custom, then have her stitch/baste the strip down so your hopping foot does not flip it over as the design is stitched out over it. The accent strip really adds a nice "wow" factor to quilts if they are not stitched down.

When quilting a panto in the body, I move the accent strip up with my finger to finish the stitching under the strip. I use a clear monopoly to SID on top of the accent strip.

I hate those things. The whole quilt shrinks when quilted but they don't. They just ruffle and look ugly. I tell all my customers if you give those borders I will sew them down. Even if you do a pantograph you can sew them down first then do the panto on top. Either I use a little wave or a scallop.

This one lady tied them with silver thread. I thought that was cute.

post--13461904190644_thumb.jpg

JoAnn, I never thought of tying them like your customer did. I'll have to recommend that to my customers. Usually, I just pin them out of the way and quilt around them. That's cute as heck!

I think it would be impossible to do a panto without sewing them down first. Your hopping foot could catch in them. Then they would just look like a skinny border and you would lose the effect. Of course, the quilting is awesome in these examples, as usual!

Archived