mini-quilt swap interest?

i know, i'm all of a sudden posting a bunch...i probably should of posted under the birthday exchange...oh well...

i was wondering if anyone would be interested in participating in a mini-quilt swap. it would be a blind exchange (ie you wouldn't know who got your name) you would post what you like, whatcha don't like, and your partner would read that and make a mini for ya.

i'm thinking of making the mailing out deadline around the first of novemeber, that way A. you'd get a surprise quilty christmas present goodie and B. get it done before the craziness of the holidays.

i participated in my first mini swap and i had a blast...if you read my blog you saw the quilt i received. and i realized it was the first time someone made me a quilt...

so wouldcha wanna play? just think- a bunch of LAers making mini-quilts....this will be one helluva swap!

another it-just-occured-to-me:

when i say mini, i don't mean the ratio porportional minis.....no little itty blocks with itty bitty pieces....

i'm thinking the maximum size would be 24"W x 24"L

here's my quilt from my recent swap (from the Modify Tradition blog) it's 19.5"sq and the HST are 2" finished....

post--13461904363346_thumb.jpg

I think that sounds like fun! I just made a couple that were 18" square. Those were the tiniest feathers I ever tried my hand at in a one inch border.:) I loaned them to a shop owner friend for her upcoming shop hop as samples for the "new" Legacy batting. I'd love to make another one. It's a good way to use up leftover triangles and such depending on the pattern.

I just had a thought....yes a rare moment! But, how about making Table runners? I just looked at my table and thought it could use something bright, make it either approx, 24" square or rectangular in the neighborhood of 18" x 30"???? I don't have wall space for a hanging, although I suppose a mini Quilt could sit on my Table....duh!

I know that shipping to France, Australia, Germany is enormous, so that is something to consider. Even shipping to the USA a small item will cost $12.00 or so. Just something to think about. Maybe you gals just wanna keep it in the USA and maybe we Canadians should do a swap????? I am thinking today, silly thoughts perhaps, but thoughts.

shipping to canada/international isn't that big of a deal (i know from the block swaps) the secret is to NOT use priority mail....if i mail a small priority box in the states it's $5, if i mail the same box to canada it's $12....but if i wrap the priority box in brown paper and mail it, it's $5-$6........if you mail internationally you have to fill out a customs form. i always check 'gift' and write 'fabric' as the description with no dollar amount....i would never write 'quilt' for the chances of it getting stolen doubles....

i was going to have a 'form' and a question would be if you would ship internationally. pairing will be based on that....

i'm gonna make it fair for everyone!

Shipping to France is not that bad, and it would be the same for the two exchangers, one to the US and on to France. Plus it is only 24 x 24 and could go in an envelope.

On the form for customs doodlebug was right. Gift and no dollar amount.

I ship my Quilts all over the world and yes, shipping is expensive! I am not sure I can bear to send anything without insurance and tracking, have to think about that one. That is the one that will get lost......but, I am in nevertheless. I deal with my end of shipping when the time comes, as I said, just thoughts.......

I'd LOVE it. doing Minis is one of my favorite things! I just made a really small one for our guild's mini quilt auction. I'd love to do another one - It is something you can do and get finished without getting tired of it before your done.

Just let me know when how and who, not to mention What kind of fabric etc. Can't wait.:)

Archived