New Millennium User

I just purchased my own longarm after renting and for years. I love my new machine. I was so proud when I set it up all by myself. Now I have had it for two weeks. I am still having "issues." Not big ones, I usually have made a small mistake and can fix them, but I am getting frustrated. I can't seem to get anything completed. I have a lesson set up in two weeks with the local rep. Any encouraging words out there? How long does it take to figure it all out? ( I used to rent an A-1 so this is a new machine for me)

Any advice on how to rip out two rows of pantograph that I absolutely hate out of a good quit top?

Hi Tightly Wound, it's great to meet you. Don't be so hard on yourself, take a deep breath and slap a practice sandwich on your Milli and just have fun, experiment until you get the feel of your machine. The lessons with your local rep will be invaluable and you will be able to pick up all sorts of tips and ideas.

As for ripping out the panto (been there, done that), I would take the quilt off the machine and use a surgical seam ripper http://www.clotilde.com/list.html?criteria=seam+ripper&x=0&y=0. I lift the quilt top from the bottom and hold it tauntly away from the batting and backing, then CAREFULLY slice the stitches, it actually comes out quite quickly.

Hope this info helps some. I'm sure others will be along to welcome you and have some great ideas to share.

Happy Quilting! :cool:

I have had my Mille for 1 1/2 years and I'm still learning little tricks all the time ( thanks to this forum). I think it is very normal to have a few 'issues' when you first get any machine, there is a lot to know and most of it will be learnt by making mistakes! I think it took about 6 month before I felt really comfortable at my machine and now if something goes wrong I have a mental check list of what to check to fix the problem. Most times it is something very simple and easy to fix.

Once you have your lesson I'm sure that will be a huge confidence boost and will lower the frustation level.

As for how to rip out two rows of stitches....get a razor blade!! Unpin the top and flip it back so you can see the threads between the top and the batting and gently cut the threads with the blade. That way is much faster then using a seam ripper....ask me how I know ;)

Congratulations on your new machine, you'll be working well together in no time!

Linda has some good advice. Have fun, do some ppp and get the feel of your machine. Each machine is different, so enjoy yourself. In no time you and your machine will be best buddies!

BTW Kathy I like your Avatar!

Hi Tightly Wound,

Hopefully before too long you'll feel like changing your screen name to "Relaxed at Last"! :)

Here is some advice about learning to use your new Millie for pantographs:

Whenever you purchase a new pantograph (this goes for experienced quilters as well as newbies:)), put it on the back of your table, remove any fabric or thread (from the top as well as the bobbin), and turn on your stitch regulator and go. Practice the pattern just as if you're quilting a project, but you'll be "quilting air". Make at least 10 passes all the way across the pattern.

The purpose is to train your muscles to learn the new motion and to train your eyes to follow the pattern ahead of the laser. You want to know the pattern well enough so that your eyes anticipate the changes in direction, and your muscles have time to react to those changes and execute them.

Unfortunately, we all would prefer to just "jump right in" rather than to practice (just ask any music student about practicing:)). If we invested a fraction of the time training our muscles through practice techniques that we do ripping out unsatisfactory results, we'd all be brilliant quilters! The downside is that we have to delay our gratification during that practice time...yuck!

You and Millie will make beautiful music together. But just like that music student I mentioned (I'm thinking of my daughter in particular) who wonders why she misses so many notes at the rehearsals, the answer can be found in adequate practice time so you're ready for that "big performance" on the real quilt. :)

Two weeks is a splat in the pan...as everyone has advised, just relax and it will come:).

not long ago a friend showed me how to get stitches out pretty quickly...hold the top up and use a small electric or battery-powered razor -or in my case -a nose hair trimmer! between the top and the batting, being careful not to cut thru the top...works well and is fast! Rita

CONGRATS, and welcome to the APQS family. I agree with everything already said. It does take some practice to get used to your "girl or boy" (you need to give your Millie a name). Remember we're all here to help and encourage each other no matter what the subject. Posts with NQR mean not quilt related but are requests for prayers, family anouncements, funnies, etc. I have to be honest, pantos were not easy for me to do, and took some practice to get used to them. Have fun, don't forget to relax and breath as you play.

Congratulations on your new machine. If you are taking the Beginner class, be prepared for tons of information. You should come away with lots of questions answered and feeling better about your machine.

As far as how long it takes to figure it all out, I am still figuring it out and I have had my machine for about 4 years now. It will be a learning process for ever and that is a good thing. It means that I am never bored.

But not knowing everything doesn't mean that you can't have fun with your machine. It took me a while to decide that I could just practice on a muslin sandwich and didn't always have to be working on great quilts. Of course, usually machine bind my muslin sandwiches and give them to the local animal shelter for dog/cat beds, so I am actually doing something with them. As Dawn said, practice is the name of the game.

You appear to be following me around the forum tonight, Liam. :D

I also take all my batting/fabric scraps and cut them up and put them in pillowcases. Then I sew up the open end and give those to an animal shelter as well. It allows me to get rid of all the scraps with no guilt and they are being used for a great purpose.

Neither of these ideas were mine, but a speaker at a guild meeting mentioned them.

Hi,

It took me about a 6 months to get the hang or more like 8 months! I quilted for years before buying my 2009 Millennium last April 2009. So I knew machines, but this one was a new and perfect machine from the beginning. I began to experiment with other threads and tension problems emerged. I finally got that solved. Now we are happy together and I've decorated her and bought new accessories for her too. I love my Millie. Karen Wheeler

Welcome to our family and congratulations on your purchase. Just be easy on yourself. We all have gone through the same learning curve. We are here to answer any questions and just give you a hug. this forum has saved me more than once.

I am new at this also and having a blast!! My mother in law gave me a couple of tops I could use for practice. A King Size one waiting for me has applique on it. I ordered DeLoa's appliguide ruler, bought a baby blanket panel. put minkee on the back and practiced using the ruler to go around the lambs, balloons, etc in the panel. Used the "itty bitty" ruler for the straight lines, and tried something different in the background of each "block" in the panel. The border of the panel is a plaid so I did my first cc work (did not use a ruler) I will use a ruler of some sort next time. Not sure which ones to buy for cc.? I like the back (minkee side) as much as I like the front. It was great practice and turned out well enough that I can use it as a gift.

I am getting some charity quilts to work on now for more practice. It is amazing how many friends/family will give you a project (usually one they didn't like when pieced) to practice on and then when you get it done they love it. I have done some I never intended to give them back as they said they didn't want it anymore. I may not have been satisfied with the quilting results but they were. Oh well...we are our own worst critics. It does boost your confidence though.:)

Archived