definition of professional quilter

Originally posted by Ferret

It sounds like in the US you can earn some money without declaring it for tax. Ferret

Just to clarify: That is not true. We are supposed to claim all income, regardless of where it comes from.

Some people might not claim income, and others are honest and do. I am one of the honest folks. I have a business license, I have a CPA do our taxes each year. I am honest and straight up with reporting to IRS.

I've always considered myself a "professional" as far as my business goes, I guess I was not sure about the county fair rules and where that all applies (that is where I get a little fuzzy) but just so you know, I did enter quilts in the state fair last year as a professional. I consider this a hobby, but because I have a legit business, I do take $$ for quilting services, so that would mean I am a professional, even if it's just a little bit of $$ that I make on the side. Not a biggie for me, really. I don't care too much about that. I got the machine so I could quilt (for myself) and do quilting for others so I could write off the expenses. I will say that i have invested A LOT of time, effort, care, attention... not to mention a lot of $$$$ toward my quilting machine, supplies, education, etc. It's all fun. Hey, it's only $$ right? Work hard, make $$ and have fun with it. You can't take it with you after you're gone.

Anyway, this has been a very enlightening and Very WONDERFUL topic of discussion!!! :) :) You all are amazing people. I love intelligent dialog. (yeah I love silly dialog, too) :) you know me... I'm a nut :cool:

Since I do make a small income with my quilting, I do have to enter as a professional in my county fair. Do I consider myself a professional? No. But, in light of the income, that is what I am. When I get to where I can quilt like Karen McTavish, Ronda Beyer, Sherry Rogers Harrison, DeLoa Jones, etc etc etc and win big awards, that is when I will feel like I am a professional. Ü

This comes from the Maine Quilts brochure..."Professionally Quilted: Quilted by hand or machine by someone other than the quiltmaker for payment (fee, goods, services)"

When I entered a few years ago, I called to clarify. I could enter my own quilt without the "professional" label, but quilts I did for a customer were labeled "professional" . I did check the "professional" box on the application anyway, since I wanted the business name listed in the catalog. So even when they make it clear, it's not always clear.

I am leaning toward the definition of professional based on the caliber of quilting,ie after having won so many county fairs, best of shows in national competitions, etc to EARN the professional title.

Owning my machine for 3 years, winning Rookie of the year at MQX in 2009, 3rd place at Innovations 2009 in Rookie category, several teacher's choice awards, occasionally quilting for someone else... I don't feel like I am a professional yet. No national awards for any other work other than a rookie quilt. What do you think?

I suppose it doesn't matter what anyone's definition of a professional is--all that matters is what the show/fair rules say.

If they are not specific, get clarification before you enter. If you aren't happy with the standard set, join the board, become a volunteer, or start a campaign to change the rules.

Look what has happened within the last ten years at the big shows, where the piecer and quilter must collaborate--no money changing hands and a ribbon going to both--all to keep some piecer from "buying" a ribbon by having a big name longarmer quilting it.

Another question about entry restrictions, if your quilt wins a monetary award, can it still travel to the other shows? And are you now a "professional" since you have earned money with your quilting? Now MY head hurts too!!:P:P:cool:

Originally posted by meg

Originally posted by LaurieG

I am a professional quilter. I quilt for hire. I am dedicated to continuing my quilting education by taking classes from nationally known teachers and do so yearly.

~snipped some~

This is what I believe. I haven't been a "hobbyist" since the day I took in my first paying quilt.

I'm not saying that you are not professional...I am saying that the only quilters who should be required to enter in the professional category are those who support themselves with thier quilting. All the others should take into consideration thier abilities and situation and make that decision for themselves.

For example, newellen clearly possesses professional quilting abilities. But she has never made a dime at it. And there are quilters out there who have collected sales tax who are not nearly as talented as Lynda who consider themselves professionals. Lyndda is the better quilter, yet she is not a pro.

This was my opinion was on what the shows should be able enforce - i hope you were not offended by it. It was certainly not meant to offend. :)

Not offended at all :-) This whole topic of professional quilter/fair entries is very complex. The categories should be "quilts for hire" instead of "professional". That takes a lot out of the equasion. Good topic!

The problem with using professional as the dividing line for shows is clear to any one who has read through this thread. Sadly shows assume that if you take money you quilt more than other people. Maybe you do maybe you don't. Perhaps we need to try and educate these shows about the real world. As I said I really liked the idea of basing you category on several things that try and assess how much experience and how successful you've been as a quilter.

This would only work if shows had enough entries and enough prizes to do it. On the other hand the shows seem to be going for at least two categories so maybe we should try and come up with a better way to split the show into two?

So, thinking of state fair type shows, how would you split it to try and make things as fair as possible. From a persons first quilt up to newellen, who is clearly a very good quilter, but is not a professional quilter.

Ferret

Interesting topic. I quilted as a hobby for years; bought my Liberty and continued quilting for myself for another 2 years. I loved my "hobby."

Then in April I filed for a tax resale number and paid the City of Phila $300 and filled out a bunch of forms. Well, actually, my accountant filled out the forms and I signed them and wrote the checks. At that point the accountant told me I was a "professional" quilter and could take money for my quilting business. I also need to file my taxes quarterly. I also pay $52.00 per month for business insurance.

Even though I mostly still quilt for myself and my family, and make very little (in fact my first quarterly tax filing was $0.00) I now think of myself as a "professional" quilter. I don't make much money; I'm certainly not in the same league as DeLoa, Karen, Sherry, etc, as far as skill or income, but I am set up as a quilting "business." Therefore I am a professional.

Well, that's MHO, aka, my 2 cents worth. :)

My DH and I were talking about this last night. He broadcasts the Portland Seadogs baseball games on the radio. The Seadogs are a minor league branch of the Boston Red Sox. These guys ARE playing professional baseball. (For very little money and sometimes very badly) Are they in a class with A-Rod and Sammy Sosa? No, just like I am not in a class with Karen McTavish. That's not to say that there isn't a guy out in the "beer leagues" with a 90 mph fast ball.

Archived