PATTI'S QUILT - FINISHED ...Heidi are U proud of Me???

PATTI'S QUILT - sofar so good

I have a Customer that wants LOTS of quilting on this Quilt. basic Blue Stars set in white Muslin. So far, so good, but i need a lot more quilting and wonder what if anything you would do arouind the stenciled motives, both flowers and the rectangular shapes. as well i am stumped as to what to do in the narrow borders seperating rows.

I was also thinking of feathering inside the large arch, pepple in the small arch....I don't know yet what to do in the rest. So, what do you thinK What would you do?

(ps...I am NOT frogging anything!)

2578462540101261555S425x425Q85.jpg

2016031650101261555S425x425Q85.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe some crosshatch in the long area between the stars. Or some how to describe it I have a stencil that has a half circle facing one way that comes to a point and it repeats and then it is opposite overtop of it for a curve with a diamond shape connecting them. I like what you are doing, but I wouldn't have made it that far. I'm at a loss for any other ideas.

Your ideas look great. I probably would still be looking at it going what the crap do I do with this!

Shirley

In the skinny long borders you could either feather, or vine down it, or ribbon candy, or the alternating two feathers and a curl that I think someone said Deloa or Jessica has taught. As for the oval stencil, it looks nice but would it help anything to add feathers to the outside of the oval? Or just echo some there? I'm not sure. I think I would do the long border pieces and then see if you need to add anything to the stencil or if it is just right as it is. Maybe putting the arch work in will also give a different perspective.

Do the blue stars need more quilting inside? I would start with a bit in the blue and the borders and then see where it takes me.

Lovely...thanks ladies, yes the blue stars will have a bit of a filler inside, I am just working my way down the Quilt now with the preliminary stabilizing and basic designs, then will go back and start the heavier quilting. I am real stumped as to the long narrow border. I have a small clam shell ruler and wonder what it would look like to do half circles down each side....food for thought.

Monika,

Sorry I meant to get back to this yesterday but my MIL had other ideas. LOL we were moving more of her things in and she went to bed happy so that counts for somehting. Maybe to day she will wake up happy...very doubtful!

OK onto your quilt. Here are a couple of options for you in the sashing. Straight lines would give it more of a geometric framing of the design or you could do feathers. This is my favorite sashing design and it goes so quickly! You can see with the feather design in the middle you could do cross hatching or you could add feathers to the outside and the fill in with curved cross hatching. If you do that I would also fill in the border design with feathers and curved cross hatching. I'm sure no matter what you do it will look beautiful!

post--13461904563815_thumb.jpg

Oh Heidi, what you did with the alternate feathers in the sashing is just what I want to do but....I am having a blond moment, can you draw me the "steps"??? I just love that design and want to do it. as far as filling in around the stencil, I guess this would be a good time to learn crosshatching....maybe. Your ideas are awesome and thank you.

Monika,

Here is a diagram. This is from DeLoa's book Border Patrol and it is a must have for all quilters! She has the best border designs that are quick and simple and look wonderful. Now if only I could quilt as quickly as she can! If you look at the diagram you will see that you would do one feather forming the arc and then feather down add a swirl at the end. Then backtrack along the spine of the first feather and arc into the next. I tell myself up/down/up/down. It goes super quick and after drawing it out a few times you should ahve it down.

Here is the link to Deloa's book: http://deloasquiltshop.com/deloasonlinestore/borderpatrol.html

post--13461904563964_thumb.jpg

Hi Monica! So far this looks great. The only advice I have is not to have too many different styles of motifs or designs going on in the quilt. That makes it a little too much for the eye to handle and it won't look cohesive. Try balancing the quilting with the same or similar designs (2-3) that complement each other. And tuck in the back of your mind that sometimes "less is more" and you don't have to quilt it to death. So far what you are doing is looking pretty good. Have fun. :)

PS: I REALLY REALLY like the long narrow "pseudo sashing" motif you created between the stars. Now you're thinking out of the box. love this!

Archived