Is There A Trick to Quilting Batiks?

CindyT

This is my first batik top and backer quilt to quilt. My test piece on the side looked fine (yes, I used both sides batik for the test piece), but after quilting and rolling forward, the back looks not so nice. Using BL in bobbin and So Fine on top and 3.5 needle. It looks like pokies on the back and tension sporadic with loops a handful of times (front and back) in each 13 inch block. For those of you that have already experienced the batik quilt, do you have any suggestions or tricks you want to share to make my life a little easier on this beast? TIA.:)

Cindy,

I find that I have to make the tension on top a little tighter than I normally do. There is more resistance of pulling the thread through batiks. While you definitely don't want to over-tighten I tend to like my tops a little bit tighter and not too loose. Also make sure that you don't have to adjust the hopping foot. If the foot is too high you will get ugly stitches with batiks. I like my hopping foot down as low as I can get it without causing it to push the fabric and getting pleats.

When I have a favbric that is refusing to stitch up nicely, I lightly spray an area with Silicone Spray, put a wee bit of Sewers Aid on all the threading points and on the needle.. usually works pretty good. Don't spray the whole quilt.. spray what would be a 2 or 3 minute area of quilting..

Good Luck,

RitaR

I don't know about the sporadic loops but I've found that the apparent pokies on the back are usually caused by the needle poking the fabric out a little. I realized this on the quilt I'm working on now. The top thread is blue, the bobbin is brown and the backing is mostly brown and green. The pokies I could see were not blue. Rub your finger nail along the stitches and fabric should move back into place. When you wash the quilt the pokies should go away. If you don't want to wash the quilt, tumbling it in the dryer for a little bit may help.

It's a customer's quilt and I don't think she prewashed any of it. I played with the tension a little more last night and it looks a little better. I sure hope the pokies go away, too. Thanks for all the suggestions that have worked for ya'll.:)

I have quilted a gazillion Batik Quilts and do not have a problem (knock on wood). I use Lava and a 3.5 organ needle, even Metro Embroidery thread and no breakage or tension problems. I do not wind my own bobbins, I buy prewound and I keep my Quilts very tight on the frame. I wonder if your springy thingy in your bobbin case needs a bit of adjusting, sometimes the little ends flatten out, loosing friction between the bottom of the case and the side of the bobbin, by bening the little arms back up so your bobbin has a little "bounce" might work better. That was a problem I experienced with backlash loops on the backing. Just a thought.....

Archived