Pre Exhibit jitters

Well, I'm going to be the "Artist of the Month"at a local art supply store. All of December in fact. I'm a lttle nervous about this, never did anything like it before. I have to prepare 4 art quilts, about 30" x 40" each. I'm working on one with Koi fish. May do a texture thing as another display. Will display the guardian peice I showed a while back. So that's three. I am so stuck on what to do for the last one. Any suggestions?

Congratulations, Kay--how exciting!

The Christmas piece suggestion is perfect for the time of year of the display.

Another thought since the exhibit is for an art supply store--go completely "artsy".

Load a base fabric and raw-edge applique lots of fabrics that make you happy--those favorites you have pieces left from projects, or small pieces of those "can't cut into them" fabrics that you have stashed away. Layer on some metallic thread, shiny poly thread, snippets of lame or home dec fabric, top with bridal netting or fine tulle, and stitch it all down. You can do this in an afternoon-- keep adding layers until you love the result. You can embellish the top with beads or paintsticks. It can be completely abstract or you can control the color placement to make it look landscape-y or rainbow-y.

Most of all, have fun and know that they will love all of your pretty pieces.

You must take photos so we can see the exhibit too!:cool:

Hey Linda, I like your idea! Coming from an engineering background I have a very strong inclination to be extremly tight and controlled with all of my work. I'm not even sure I can cut loose like that! Can give it a try and just see what happens. Why do I feel like every piece I do has to be "My very Best"???? One uping yourself gets hard!

I have been "Stirring the pot" (aka searching for something lost) in my sewing room today and turned up this great box of ultra suede scraps. Hummmmmmm wonder what I could do with those...

Ultra suede? You lucky girl!!

Cut some leaves if the colors are right, or stylized flowers and use the machine to stitch them to a pre-quilted batik base--just the veins in the leaves or the centers of the flowers. Fill it up with 3-D goodies, run a gold paintstick around the edges of the shapes, and there ya go!

Can I come play??:cool:

Might be a long trip! But come on down!

Girls, go to estate sales! I used to all the time when I was in Kansas. You would not belive how often I came across one with ton's of sewing, quilting and craft stuff! That's where the ultra suede came from. Some great colors in this box, green, red, rust, black, brown, tan, white, olive green, wine, turquoise, light blue, yeap, that will work!

Archived