pinning to your leaders

Guest Linda S

I use an antique chain stitch machine, then the thread comes off like a pet food bag when I'm done. If my chain stitcher isn't running (happens sometimes), I just baste them on with the longest stitch on my DSM.

Linda

Try putting the ribbon on the zippers, then stapling or sewing the backs to the ribbon on the zippers. No need to zipper the top on. If you perfer to roll the top just lay it over the canvas a few inches (as if you were going to pin but farther in) , just a few pins (center, right, left) and then roll the quilt up. Love this short cut.

I switched over to 'leader grips' but kept it lots cheaper by just purchasing the clip-n-seal units which are very similar. I have no problem with the size of the dowell. Getting away from the pins has been great. So may fewer holes and tears in my fingers.

I always baste mine on standing at the longarm. I baste center to the left edge, then center to right edge. Done. It's incredibly fast and very easy. It only took me a few sticks to figure out there had to be an easier way...

I do baste to velcro leaders so I can rip off one quilt, then attach a different one very quickly should I need to change - so that helps with the fastness also.

I sew mine on to the zippers with my Bernina, using a basting stitch and Superior's Vanish thread. (water soluble) I only use the Vanish in the top, not the bobbin. Then when I'm ready to take it off, just a dab of water on one end and it pulls off like a hot knife through butter.

I do start sewing in the middle, and go out each direction from there.

I ALWAYS attach my backing to my zippered leaders with a basting stitch from my DSM. Using cotton thread works great becuase when the quilt is all done, just rip the back off the leaders! Then your just left with all the threads to pick up haha! But that's what my 3 yo DD is for, she loves to "pick threads" and suck em' up with the little shop vac I use. Honestly it has saved me tons of time, ouchies and I've found that my backs are straighter because of the 1/4" presser foot on my DSM.

As for the tops, I use large hat pins to attach it to the leader. I also use a large pin cushion that I wear on my wrist that saves tons of time (and pricked fingers!) from fumbling through a tray with pins.

This is good timing, as I have a large scratch on my arm (looks like a cat has been at it !!) from dragging my arm over a pin last night, and my thumb is still hurting from a stab wound !!!

How do you line the top and bottom of the backing though with zips ?? ie how do you make it all the same fit?

I also use velcro leaders (I have more than 1 set). I take the leaders and top/bottom to my dsm and sew from center out using the largest basting stitch (I can pull the fabric thru and make them big). When I finish it's easy to just pull. I do have to pin to the take up pole leader and I use sharp yellow top pins. (can't remember what they're called but lots come in a plastic box) I start at the center to pin and make sure all the pins go the same way. If I have even one going another direction I'll find a way to get stuck. When I do all my daily finger sticks I never get as blood as I do from the pins.

Janette, I just wrote you really good info about marking the zippers to find the centre & match to the quilt & backing. However, my cat just jumped on my lap-top & deleted it!

Try again. When I first got the zips and stitched the leader half to the leader, I then zipped the other half of the zip on and transferred the centre markings from the leader to both halves of the zip. Now all I need to do each time I attach the quilt or backing half of the zip is to match the centre markings to the centre of the quilt or backing to make sure everything is centred.

Good luck.

I took Renae's class in St. George and she had a prototype of her Red Snappers with her and demo'd them. I'm order those. I have zippers and have tried staples, but they prick me worse than the pins do. So I'm thinking of adding these instead of the zippers I have.

Shirley

I baste my backing and bottom of my top to the zippers with my DSM. I use the longest stitch length possible. When I remove my quilt from the longarm machine I use the ripper that looks like a scalpel and just hook a stitch and pull. I can get 2 to 3" with each pull and then hook the next bast stitch. I have it removed in a couple of minutes. I also baste them on starting in the middle and sewing out to the ends to make sure I am centered.

Archived