in tears...

I was quilting on the diagonal using a oval template when it happened. Somehow, the Hartley base tilted causing the template to climb over the foot, broke the needle AND made

two small holes in the quilt top. yes- i was in tears. Never did care for that base- having said that , it may well be operator error.

Irene - thankful that the timing is ok.

Oh I'm sure that made your heart stop too! Sorry for your problems. I hope you can get the quilt repaired. I guess the silver lining in this one is that you don't have to re-time too. I wonder why the hartley base tilted. The only time I have trouble is when I'm working with the back of the foot and the ruler goes in the cut-out area. I have Donita's base on and love the 1 piece design but I like the hartley because it is wider. Good luck getting the quilt repaired and I hope you have no more tears.

To those of you that are finding the Hartley Base a bit wobbly - Have you followed the instructions and removed the plastic "plugs" from the front left side of the machine head so the base will fit securely?

Also, make sure you're not using too much pressure on the ruler on the front side of the base, or it will tip up at the back. Of course, if you're applying that much pressure, you're probably also having trouble moving the machine smoothly. :cool:

I have both the Hartley Base and the RulerMate. I use them both for different purposes.

My rulers used to get "hung up" in the Hartley base, too. I have the machine with thread cutter. I put washers under the plexiglass that covers the cutter area, which raised it even with the Hartley base. No more hang-ups. My Hartley base fits tight enough that it takes a lot of pressure to make it tilt up. If yours is "sloppy" try putting a couple of the little sticky rubber non-slip dots on the side pieces, on the machine side. It might just tighten it up enough that you won't have such a problem.

Archived