NQR - Fresh Eggs, yum!

My folks have spoiled me for years by providing me with fresh eggs whenever I need them. There's no better egg in my opinion. They've gone through many trials of how to get the chickens to lay eggs when the laying slows down. I'm not sure what the answer was but I know they've tried giving them warm water, keeping a light on a timer to come on when we have longer darker days among other things. Sounds like you made your girls happy and productive again!

Glenda, all I did was change the morning feeding time to a little later. Also, I started giving them some greens from the garden. 2 or three times a week I throw in some scratch with the afternoon feeding. I went a few weeks with no eggs. Now I am back up to 2 or 3 a day. The spring should bring me back to 10 to 12 a day.

I am thinking of making an order from McMurrary Hatchery.

Anne, I know some of mine will be in the pot soon. It is getting time to replenish.

I've been thinking about getting a few hens, but haven't done anything about it because I first need to build a chicken house. Also, I'm wondering about breeds. I've been wondering about Buff Orpingtons.

It hasn't been a huge issue, as there is a woman down the road who sells ranch eggs, so I do get good eggs.

If any of you have recommendations for a source for chicken house plans and/or appropriate breeds I'd be interested in hearing from you.

Bonnie,

Just "google" chicken house plans. There is lots of info. Also, visit McMurray Hatchery. You can order chicks or just browse the site for info. If you get chicks you will need a brooder. We used a brooder then moved the chicks to a "portable coop". We built a coop on wheels and moved the coop every day. Once they were a little larger we move them to the permanent coop. Also google "keeping chicken" -- a good newsletter

Sandra

OMG! Fresh eggs! I haven't had FRESH eggs in god knows when. You lucky gals. :D:D I would kill for a farm fresh egg. We live on an island and everything needs to be flown in from the US. Our eggs we buy in the store is probably 3 weeks old when we get them. Can I come over for quiche??

I just had a couple of gals from my May 2010 hatch start laying this week! Finally :) I think we need more pictures on this thread though, don't you??

Show me your peeps :P

These are the peeps hatched in May, they were about 1 month old here. Phyllis Diller is already rocking her poof! I posted it finally, but can't make it bigger, sorry.

2243757750101457296AIoRcq_th.jpg

Archived