NQR - Blizzards / Ice hope everyone is safe

We are safe and definitely staying home today- I have never seen a blizzard like this. The police cars are stuck. Pretty much Southern Wisconsin is closed - even Madison government, university and schools are closed - this NEVER happens. National Guard has been called up- rescue vehicles are getting stuck-

Hope all that are affected by this huge storm is well and safe!!

I am getting the icey part of the storm this morning. My work is delayed 2 hours. Yeah! I knew I could not drive on all of the ice this morning, so the official delay is very good news. Yesterday I had to use some vacation time to cover my late arrival due to ice. The major roads were treated, but not the little streets in the neighborhoods, so I was stuck for a bit.

We are getting rain now, and as soon as the temperature rises, the ice will go away, but only to refreeze tonight. Ughh! I am ready to just work/quilt from home, but not for a few more years. Gotta keep that day job for a while longer.

I hope everyone is safe and warm during this storm.

Sandy - yesterday my windows were iced over all day and until about 3 am.

I woke up this morning to clear windows and it's 33º. But Canton, OH is under a "state of emergency"... Bummer! I think we're still supposed to get more snow by tonite - who knows?! I'm happily quilting away on a new sample for a LQS...

The sun shines bright in my little home! LOL

We have snow but not up to the windows. Probably end up with about 10 - 12" here and then another 2 - 5 over night. Thankfully the storm on the coast blew away the storm coming from the midwest. I have not gotten any sleet or ice but jsut 15 mintues south they have it. I hope it stays that way.Right now it looks like it is a heavy wet snow falling.

Whew! That was a wild 24 hours. We still have the wind, but at least it is not snow AND wind. Our SE corner of Iowa is still under a Blizzard warning til noon. DH went out to start clearing. Some places it is bare ground and other places it is 6' deep.

A lot of Iowa is pretty much closed today too. We didn't get the ice thank goodness. We didn't lose power or satellite internet. The Satellite TV went out for a little while during the heaviest snow, but came back on quickly. The worst is over and now the digging out.

The power is back on after about 7 hours of downtime, but at least I could just go to bed and bundle up under the covers. The house was just turning nippy when the furnace came back on, thank goodness. We mostly got rain/sleet/ice yesterday and although the driveway is treacherous, I hear the roads are ok at present. Now the gusting winds are something else. Feels like they could lift the roof off the house! That's another reason to be glad we aren't having the snow...it would definitely be zero visibility. Later this afternoon the temp is due to drop again and refreeze everything. Unfortunately about that time I will have to drive to DD's house to babysit and may bunk out there overnight since I have to be back there again early am tomorrow. Those with power, keep stitching. Those without, plan your next project. Sally NE Ohio

Hubby is suppose to fly out Sunday to Branford, Ct,

via Chicago, I have my doubts flights will be on time if at

all! Anyone know what Ct looks like today?

I hate to say it, but this morning Oregon looks like a clear

summer day if you are indoors, outside is chilly still, hang in

there everyone!! Keep on Quiltin! :)

Prayers to all. My family in PA is under ice. I hate to tell you all that it was in the 30s last night, 50 at 6AM and now it's hitting 70 here in VA Beach. We have the wind and rain. However, it's supposed to back in the 30-40s tonight.:o Everyone is sick here!

Not much snow here, but it is freezing.

All schools are shut down and kids are jumping for joy again today.

It's beautiful to see all the Ice crystals in the air.

My husband is travelling North from New Mexico and he says it's slow going.

Interstate was shut down last night.

He still has 8 hours of driving on ice till he is home.

Should be getting a break tomarrow, then another storm hitting

over the weekend.

Stay inside and keep warm all!!!

Laura

We dug out as well as we could today. Only tractor and 4-wheel drive traffic on our roads. We went to check on our neighbor who said her electricity went off this morning and found her with one leg over the fence and had fallen backwards into the snow and couldn't get up. Wondering what an 81 year old woman was doing in the negative windchill temps and 2 foot of snow and she was trying to water the cows!!! Luckily we got her safely back in the house, finished her chores, shoveled paths for her and best of all she's OK. Now I'm feeling the pain from shovelling for 4 hours today. Great exercise, but need to do it more often then once or twice a year. :D

Cindy, It seems the older we get the more determined we get!!! I had to insist---several times that my 88 year old Dad call me today before he left the house to plow his drive then come and plow mine!!! He called from the truck and said he was going to plow his drive and see if he could get to my house. We have huge drifts and my road hadn't been plowed. After a while I got another call---"I'm at the end of your driveway ready to plow you out!!!"" I quickly fixed an early dinner for him but would rather he stayed in his warm house and read his westerns!!! I pay for his cell phone or he wouldn't have it!!! We got about 12 " of snow but the drifts are up to 3 or 4 feet in some places!!!

The snow and wind have gone past us, but now we are in the deep freeze. -4º actual temperature this morning with wind chills around -11º. The sun is shining, so it is really bright out there with all the snow. We got dug out around noon yesterday. No school again today because of the extreme cold, so we are to have our 6 & 9 year old grandsons for the day. I do have to venture out this afternoon to get to some appointments I had to reschedule from Tuesday and Wednesday.

That's scary about the lady falling over the fence. She would have died if you guys hadn't come along !!

Archived