When do you float a quilt?

So I'm doing this lady's king size T-shirt quilt. She had someone sew all the T-shirts together (with heavy pellon) and brought it to me to add the borders and make the backing and quilt it (It's big and HEAVY). I started to put it on the Millie and noticed how off it was. I couldn't get it on the rollers evenly. So I took it off the top roller and decided to float it. Now I'm quilting it and trying to match the sides as I quilt so it quilts down evenly. It's still pulling inwards. Is there anything I can do to make it easier? Should I have floated this quilt? When do you decide when to float?

post--13461906184789_thumb.jpg

I heard of sticking a piece of batting between the quilt of the take up roller. I just tried it. I used some cut off batting from my old quilts and tucked it under the quilt of the take up roller, this pulled the quilt straight on the sides. I looked at my tape measure and it is perfect!! It's the same measurement as when I started the quilt. Hooray!! It works. I can see an end to this quilt soon. LOL! Thanks! I'll post the finish.

Hi Donna, I normally don't float quilts unless they are little table runners or really small wall quilts. I suppose it's because I have always done it this way (a habit) and it maybe gives me a bit of security knowing the quilt is pinned on the leader straight when I roll it on I try to keep it straight. That's just how I do it.... and we all know there are many ways to skin a cat, and many ways to quilt a quilt. I know a lot of quilters that always float because it's faster. You'll get varying opinions here. Anyway I am glad you got that beast to straighten out for you. I always try to remember those words of wisdom Renae Haddadin told us in a class one day:---- The best cheater wins! :)

I float quilts that are really uneven. I'll pin or baste with the Millie to straighten piecing lines the best I can as I go along. I lay the quilt out and measure to find the narrowest and adjust the from the front I squish, pull, do whatever it takes to get it as square as possible. . I used to have a long distance regular customer who was an awful piecer and floating was the only way I could get her quilts sort of squared. I think I lost her in the midst of several moves and forced e-mail chnages due to providers. I afraid I didn't try really hard to make sure she could contact me. (grins)

I float all my quilts. I make sure the top is straight and go from there. Matt (manquilter) has a great video on floating.

I always use the white "C" clips on the backing bar (top lays over the bar) to hold it straight. I baste my sides. If I get to a part that I can't use the C clips (I have the red snappers) I'll put some coursage pins in to hold the top straight. I'm not sure if this is clear, it's hard to explain. I get my "C" clips from Dave and Jane. These clips are great for lots of stuff, a must have item.

http://countryquiltsncrafts.danemcoweb.com/shop/product/l-a-clips/

Connie, I do pretty much what you do but those clips look like they could be real handy - think I'll order some as I constantly snag my clothes on pins...and now that summer is apparently here it is too warm to wear an apron to save my clothes....Like that idea!

those white "c" clips are soooo handy ... i use a couple of mine on that top bar (which isn't being used when I float my top) to mark where the sides of the quilt need to be. they help me keep the sides properly aligned. i can tell with a glance that the sides are floating properly. clear as mud ... love my white 'c' clips ....

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

I always try to remember those words of wisdom Renae Haddadin told us in a class one day:---- The best cheater wins! :)

I love that quote - words to live by:P

I float and use the "C" clamps on the top roller so I can make sure it is rolling on pickup roller straight when I get towards the end I may baste stitch along the top roller to hold in place. Has worked for me so far.

Archived