Feathers freehand

Ok, my last quilt - just finished it this week - is a sample for making freehand feathers. I have noticed that a lot of freehand feathers are made the same way it is done by hand quilting, but I find it difficult to retrack the feather path. So I thought of avoiding this, and making feathers 'loose', and off the main track.

I first made a meandering spine, and made feathers freehand, from left to right on my quilt. After that I have meandered to fill up the gaps.

I really loved making this, because the possibilities seems endless to me: with or without meadering for the large gaps, different kind of feathers, echoing feathers etc.

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Hi Elaine,

You are right, I have received my machine just three weeks ago, and having fun with it from the start. I have worked with a normal sewing machine for a couple of years, with freehand quilting and meandering, and allthough I know working on a Long Arm machine is totally different, it seems that the feeling for freehand is there already. The difference is that with a sewing machine, you have to move the sandwich - which is very difficult when it is a large quilt ( I have done that too ), and with the Long Arm machine you move the machine. If feels like drawing with a very, very big pencil.

I am also thrilled that things are going so smooth, and I don't know why this is happening. I have tried the Pantograph too, but that seems a lot harder to quilt...

Sylvia

www.sylkamode.com

Your quilts are really nice! :D And you should tell that your machine arrived three or four weeks ago! :cool:;)

I think you will have a great quilting future;):D

See you next week at the European Quiltchampionships in Waalre/Netherlands:D;), where OUR Myrna Ficken will be the judge:D

best wishes from over the ocean....

Claudia

Good pic's:)

great feathers:D

meandering between is so smart:)

You girl are going to one of the ones I have to look up to, like some of the other quilt dida's on this forum..............talant really shines in some people, & you are lighting up all over the place.

Funny how all our brains are wired differantly, I find Ponto's easy & free motion not so. You find freemotion a piece of cake, & panto's not.

Great job !!!

Wow Sylvia, Great feathers. they are beautiful. I am going to print the picture out and put it by my machine so I can practice on them. I find I can feather one side but the other leaves a lot to be desired. You are a natural. Please keep posting pictures.:D

OK...I'm going to ask a dumb question. After you make your spine, do you come down one side and go back up the other side, or do you stop and go back to the top of the feather and start coming down the other side. Did that make sense? I love your feathers because they are loose and it would seem that it would make the quilt softer. I too am making a copy of this picture if you don't mind. I like them because they are less formal and could be used on all types of quilts. Thanks so much for sharing.

Just yesterday I took a fantastic class from Suzanne Earley in Traer, Iowa. If you are interested in feathers, the meandering spine and lots of options - you need her book, Meandering Magic. Suzanne is a very wonderful teacher, so patient with a beginner whose feathers looked like "hotdogs" and "bananas" or "potato chips". She uses the "over the top" method and I know if I PPP that eventually I will get it. Thank you Suzanne.

Hi Diane,

I am making the spine like a large meandering, then I begin at the left, above the spine, and make the feathers all the way to the right.

After that I start again at the left, and make the feathers under the spine. Works very fast!

We are just back from the EQC in Waalre, where Myrna and Claudia were too. Wonderful event, very busy, and it was fun to meet them in person!

Sylvia Kaptein

Sylka-Mode

www.sylkamode.com

Archived