What is your favorite Circle Lord Board?

kathyd

I am a new Circle Lord user and have purchased the Swirlz board and the Zig Zag/Wave. I love them both and was thinking of adding another one or two to my collection.

So what are your favorites? Which one do you use most often? Which one do you find the most versatile?

The boards are on sale through the end of June so I'm thinking I need to make a decision soon!

Thanx for your help!

KathyD

PS: I have had so much fun with these boards that I've not put my Circle Lord on the frame yet. I'm sure that will be a whole day of play!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Linda S

Baptist Fan! It is especially useful for quilts that are not well pieced. Those nice long arcs can smooth out a whole lot of wonkiness.

My problem is I own a Handi Quilter Avante and purchased the Baptist Fan board used when I first got the machine. I only have two boards so if the quilt is wider than 42" I have to leap frog the boards. Wondering if I should sell the ones I have and pick up the CL version.

Do you like the larger one or the smaller one - there are two sizes right?

Off to look again!

KathyD:o

1) Baptist Fan/Clam Shells (combination board)

2) Swirlz

3) Sakura

4) Square Dance

5) Water

I also have the cross hatch boards and the Zig Zag, but I haven't tried wither of them yet.

In addition, I have boards that I use for borders, such as the Rope and one that I can't remember what it is called...it has the wavy lines that you can use some or all of them as spines for feathers, or off-set the 2nd row and form a braid - can do lots of things with it.

I also have many, many CL attachements and even though I love them all, I use the feathers the most.

I guess you can figure that I really love my CL tools.

Since you already have the Swirlz and Zig Zag template, I would defintely think about adding the Baptist Fan for those traditional quilts (Clamshells also good for traditional), and the Square Dance is great, no back tracking, because it's on point and adds a new dimenstion to quilts.

Also, the Meander is wonderful for busy quilts, T-shirt quilts, and traditional and scrappy quilts. Water (and Waves) is also good for T-shirt quilts and busy quilts, but I think I like the Meander better because it is done quickly in just one pass (one start and stop).

The Cosmos looks like a panto and yet is very easy to stitch -- also done in one pass. Customers love it too.

I charge a bit more for Swirlz, Cosmos, Sakura. In fact, I've created a price sheet with pictures of each template, quilts done with them, and showing my price for that particular template. I have several different prices, depending on the complexity of the tempate.

I used to charge the same for all the templates (.015), because they were so easy -- much preferred over pantos, which I hate. But I recently changed that. Some templates do take longer to stitch than others and my time is valuable.

Georgene,

Thank you for all your information. Right now I work full time and I only quilt for myself, mom and my best friend. I guess it just scares me to work on other people's quilts. Maybe when I retire I will have all the toys...I mean tools I need to quilt for others.

I have the HQ Baptist fan boards that I have not used. I'm going to try them out and see how they work for me. I actually purchased quite a few boards used from other HQ owners when I bought my machine. I've only used them a couple of times. I think it was my HQ Stylus that I didn't like. Now that I have the CL stylus I am gong to sell the one I have and work on those boards.

I sent a message last night to Michael and ordered the Square Dance. I just wrote to him and added Cosmo to it as well.

Thank you all for your replies. Althought I don't own an APQS machine I like this forum. It is full of information!

KathyD

PS: Wish I was quilting and now working!!!;)

Kathy, you will love that Cosmos design on your quilts. It looks so complicated, yet it stitches fast and easy in just one pass.

You can keep the other boards you have and ask Michael for a smaller stylus that will fit those boards. I bet he can get one for you. He aims to please. Then you can still use the CL stylus and all the boards you now have as well as all your CL boards.

Have you tried the CL stylus in your HQ boards ? Make sure it will fit in the grooves OK. I had an HQ board and the stylus for my QZ didn't work. I also had a stylus from R & S Designs and it wouldn't work either. If I remember, the stylus was a bit too big and wouldn't slide through the grooves smoothly. Hopefully, your CL stylus will work OK. I sold my HQ board and stylus when I sold my HQ 16.

The design boards are so much fun. I have the Quiltazoid and some boards from R & S Designs. Just did a small quilt with the swirls. Love it.

I spoke with Michael this morning to change my order. I'm now getting the Square Dance board, the Cosmo board and a stylus that will fit my HQ boards. He did mention that the CL stylus would be too big for the HQ boards but he has one that will fit. So he'll be sending one of those along as well.

He has been such a sweetheart and is even fixing something special for me! How can you top that!!!:D:cool::D:cool::D:cool:

Thank you Michael! ;)

Kathy DeStadio

Kathy, I think you will really enjoy all the boards you have ordered! :) And yes, Michael does everything possible to accommodate Circle Lord owners.:)

I don't have an APQS machine any longer, but I hang here because this group of quilters are the best---and so inspiring. And joyful Circle Lord owners primarily gather here.

Archived