Giving up on King Tut

My Lenni loves both Lava and Rainbow. I usually use Bottom Line in the bobbin and have no tension issues. I have another bobbin case that I use just for King Tut thread and that normally works great too, but I usually need to do a little tension "tweek" here and there. There are such beautiful variegated threads available so don't give up! Keep trying and all of a sudden, you'll get it. ;)

I find when I'm working with King Tut, I thread it through two of the three holes in the guide right above the tension disks, don't make the sandwich tight and slow down a little. That being said my Millennium loves Lava and tolerates Rainbows. With Lava I can run anything in the bobbin including Lava but with Rainbows it prefers So Fine.

I have used Rainbows, King Tut, Poly Quilter and Perfect Quilter Variegated on my Millie with no problems.

Yes you do need to adjust the tension, which I do when starting to use any new thread.

Once I have the bobbin tension correct, Using my Towa - LOVE THAT GAUGE, I have been using the Superior Top tension gauge but it doesn't always seem to work perfectly.

Have a look at the Thread Tension Guide from Superior and it will give you some indication of how much looser or tighter the tension needs to be from a thread that you know works in your machine.

I have used small spools and big cones of King Tut, only porblems came when stitching through Vliesofix in the early months of having my machine.

PPP remember ...... Patience, Practice and Persistence

Lyn

I have both the top and bottom tension gauges from Superior and was convinced I could make it work - but after frogging - and frogging - and frogging some more - when I KNEW it was right, I decided it wasn't worth any more frustration. I really do like the tension gauges, I just don't think King Tut likes me. Luckily I only bought the one cone! I have no issues at all with S Fine, Bottom Line or Precensia.

The one I gave up on was Valdani. Just too many slugs that kept getting stuck in my needle. The rest work with a bit of tension adjusts. For cottons I tend to use Sulky Blendables over King Tutt as it's a more consistant thickness and not as much lint.

The last quilt of my quilting career was quilted with King Tut and I didn't have one bit of problem. I used Sewer Aid just because I was afraid I would have problems. My thread didn't break one single time. I was shocked. I think it was a combo of the thread lubricant and the fact that my tension was absolutely perfect!

I know you are frustrated at this point, but don't give up....don't let that spool of thread beat you!! You are better than that cone of thread!! ;) Play with your top tension, losen it up, keep going, and then losen some more. Make sure you don't have loopies on top, but just play with your tension.

I tried every trick that was offered to get King Tut to play nice with my Millie and no luck. I gave up, too. I've found LAVA works just fine. I don't care for Rainbows either. Had a lot more breakage with it. I read on Superiors site or somewhere that they hope to have So Fine in varigated next month ! That will be nice. I also use Magna Glide Classic or Delight bobbins.

Good luck. Nothing more frustrating that thread that won't run well. I hate tweaking tension all the time and have found 4 threads that work with pretty much the same tension, needle size and bobbin. LAVA, Brytes, Glide and Omni. Haven't used So Fine much, but it works nice too.

Today I got out my different types of thread and my different types of bobbins (I've only used prewonds) and tried combinations of everything. Soooo..... long story short lava and rainbows both were great with magna glide and bottom line bobbins. But when I tried the cone of king tut and I did try it last, well lets just say it broke and broke and broke even though I kept messing with the tension. I also had so fine and metro top threads to play with along with the glide that I use most. All worked great except king tut. Looks like there will be no king tut in my future. I was ppp my feathers and loops and my new rope a dope by Deloa, really like that ruler.

I've had all the issues with running King Tut thread on my millie, as well. But I have a ton of it here and I love the colours it comes in, so I was determined to not give up. What finally worked for me was going up a needle size to a 5. The thread seems to go through this needle easier, and doesn't leave pokies on the back with it.

I finally got Tut to run in my machine by using a larger eye needle, loosening the top and bottom tensions until they were almost none existent, using Sewer's Aide, and slowing the machine way down. Now that I know how to make it work it is one of my favorites to use. I just love the variegated colors of it. I almost always use prewound cardboard side bobbins with any thread I use, unless I need to exactly match top and bobbin threads.

I love King Tut for the heavier quilting look. I also find that I use a larger than usual needle which accommodates the larger thread with out as much friction on the thread as it goes in and out of the quilt sandwich. I struggled with the Rainbows and Lava breaking constantly until a quilting friend suggested running a monofilament along with it for strength. That did the trick for me and didn't change the look of the thread!

Don't give up on King Tut. It really is a BEAUTIFUL thread to quilt with. I think you just need to tweak a bit more and have patience. I have found I can quilt with any type of thread on my machine. I just need to make minor adjustments to the top tension.

Here's my thoughts and what I do for success: Keep your bobbin a little looser than normal. So the bobbin rolls down at a faster rate than I normally set it. I make sure my bobbin area is clean and well oiled. I also blow out my bobbin case and area below with every bobbin fill. Most often I try to keep my threads running through all three holes above the tension disc and with cottons like Tut I try to keep my top tension as TIGHT as I possibly can (to avoid the occaisional loopy on bottom), and with tricky threads like Tut, I run some beads of Sewers Aid on the spool of thread. Mainly I use a 4.0 needle with my threads, even with Tut. If I continue to bump into problems with breaks, I loosen my top tension a wee bit and try again.

It's worth the struggle to get it right. I use all sorts of cotton threads: Tut, Signature and even Valdani going non SR at a high speed. I also use the poly threads Rainbows, Lava, Madeira, etc......You just have to keep playing with the top tension and trying. It works. Trust me. If I keep having trouble I go down to the two holes. I just quilted a king size quilt with Signature. I love that thread. Even though it's got a lot of fuzz it looks so nice. :)

Archived