New Product? Have You Tried This?

I was recently in a Hancock's (not The Hancock's) and found this product. It is a spray for marking stencils. It is called Marking Magic marketed by Quilting Creations International of Zoar, OH. It comes in a spray can like spray paint, and you just spray it over the stencil to mark the quilt. It comes in white and grey. I bought a can to try (it's $12.99 a can). I haven't used it on a quilt yet, but did try it on a scrap of fabric. I sprayed the fabric and let it dry overnight, and it washed right out the next day. I used a dark fabric to see if you could see the grey on that, and I could. I am wondering if anyone has tried it and what you think? Thanks, Sara

Guest Linda S

I think the latest consensus on that stuff is that it makes a big gunky mess of your stencils. Marks well, but leaves you with a mess to clean up. I have not used it myself.

I try to avoid spray can products as many of them trigger my asthma. Some of those warning labels are darn scary. I mostly use magic chalk as it stays on fairly well until it's ironed off or just the regular chalk, even kids blackboard chalk--the cheap stuff not the dustless cause it has oil in it.

It works great, but you have to stop and wash your stencil each time. Also you dont great as much coverage as they say. One can only did a Twin where it says it will do a queen. Now yes I may have sprayed thicker than I needed but couldn't get it to go through stencil otherwise. It's a great product if you know the draw backs and dont care. I thought it was very expensive for such a tiny can. It was like $12.00 haven't priced it in several years.

Thanks Ladies! I am glad that I only bought one can. :) I have tried the Pounce Pad, but it put chalk all over the place and was hard to see where to stitch the lines. I have been using the Fons & Porter white wash out pencil to mark stencils on a dark quilt. I sure hope that it comes out easily. I want to start marking the embroidery lines on a Winter Wonderland quilt and for that I plan on using the Crayola washable markers. That seems to come right out with little fuss. I appreciate your advice! Thank you!

Sara,

I just took a class from Cathy Franks last week in Milwaukee and she said that she doesn't like the Pounce pad either. She keeps her chalk powder in a tupperware container and uses a foam paintbrush and just brushes it over the stencil. The coverage is better than what you get with the pad. She also suggested that you use a spray bottle of water and just mist it over the quilt, then use your hand to brush over the dampened quilt before applying the chalk. She said that helps the chalk to stick and not bounce off during the quilting. She did a demo in the class and I will definately try it the next time I use a stencil.

Sara, Hi! I am doing the Winter Wonderland Quilt too! I did mark it like they say on the pattern with a red pigma pen. It does fine! Once you start stitching, you don't see it at all. I was a little hesitant to use that for my marking, but it DOES work for the red work embroidery. I wouldn't want to try to get out all of those markings with something that I would have to work to get off if the line was to "thick" for the embroidery to cover. The pigma pen is thin and exact... JFYI :) linda

Wow Ladies, thanks for all of the helpful info! Colleen, that is really great info! Will give it a try next time. My poor little quilt that I tried the Pounce pad on looks pretty bad, but I will not frog! Lesson learned. LOL I just will love it the way it is, so glad that it is mine. Linda, so the pigma pen works out ok? I didn't want to use it because it is permanent and I wanted my stitches to be the highlight. My thinking also is that if I draw it all out with the permanent pen, why stitch?? Yep, I can be very lazy, my Mom always said so! :D Glad to know that if I use the spray, I will need to wash up after each time. Thanks! I think that I will use up this can and not get another! I can't thank you all enough for your help! I guess I am always looking for an easier way to mark a quilt. I love so many stencils and want to use them to the max. You guys are great!! Sara

Sara I use the pounce pad a lot. The key to using it is to put it in a plastic bag and prime it really good. Then you just wipe it across the stencil, don't pounce it. They really should change the name to the wipe pad and not pounce pad. Colleen gives very good advice as well. The paint brush works great and adding the water on some fabrics is very helpful. If I rub my hand across the fabric and it is super smooth I know that I will usually have a hard time with the powder sticking.

Also if you use the Magic Chalk or Miracle Chalk it dosen't bounce and most remains there until you either erase it off (I use an old wool blackboard eraser) or whatever remains will steam off with an iron very quickly.

That's about all I use to mark with. Even on light /white fabrics it show up if I put in my blacklite.

Heidi and Jeri thank you so much for the tips! Heidi I think that that was one of the problems. The chalk was all over the place, but was thicker on the lines. I could just make them out. It came out ok, but barely. I just made up the rest of the line from looking at the stencil.

Sigh, Jeri I don't have a blacklite. Guess I need another up-grade.

Thank you all so much for all of the help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it! Sara

I was having a hard time seeing my lines on light fabric with the pounce chalk and I tried the black light and it turned pink. I had no clue it would do that but for me it seemed to be easier to follow be sure to turn out your over head light that was a draw back. I don't pounce it just rub it accross the stencil and I tape that down with paiters tape the cheap kind that won't stick to anythink else.

This is what I use to mark my stencils, It's made by Clover I think it is called a "Color Wheel" it comes in red, white, yellow and blue. I have one of each color and keep the refills on hand. The tip is fine enough that it fits into the stencil well making it less messy than the pounce pad. I have never had a problem with it coming out of a quilt. You can find them at Joann's or at most craft shops.

xprd6678_m-1.jpg

Sara, Hi again! I took a picture of my Winter Wonderland where I am working on it and you can see there is a BIG difference of where I marked it and where I'm stitching.... it is all wrinkley cause it's been folded up and stuck in a plastic bag.. I keep it at work so I have something to work on when I'm not busy there. Just wanted you to see....it's worth stitching ....after marking!! :P linda

post--13461906783203_thumb.jpg

I have a 2002 Millie with the florescent (can't spell) tube just go to Wal-Mart or Home Depot or anywhere that sells lots of light bulbs. I took my regular tube out and took it with me (light bulb challanged) and get a black light one that matches it and just switch it when you want to use. it. Simple and not expensive. APQS has them but you have to pay the extra for shipping. I use mine alot on light fabrics.

The white magic chalk shows up well though not the pretty green that the black light powder does. I have a jar of black light powder but the saftey warnings are enough to scare a person. It's been sitting on my shelf for years, I think I've used it 3 or 4 times.

Archived