accuquilt bug has bit!

I have been thinking about purchasing one of the Accuquilt products, but would appreciate any input anyone has to offer!

I would be using this strictly for personal use and do not do much applique. I am interested in the geometric and strip dies. Has anyone bought the Go and found they needed to upgrade? What about purchasing the studio and finding it is too much?

Space is not really an issue, but I don't know if my current use for about 12 quilts a year warrants the price of the studio. I would probably not be taking a Go to classes or retreats, so portability isn't a concern either.

I am dithering here, so any opinions would be great. Did I mention that this will be my birthday present from my husband? He asked and I am running with it!!!!

Lori

i do not enjoy cutting so i seriously considered it.

i've heard mixed reviews.

some love it - others say it doesn't cut accurately - i've heard up to 1/8" off.

i also think the studio has been reviewed better than the go.

i am not a high output quilter and i decided against it.

i love my studio. big, yes. but it handles everything i throw at it. i use the strip dies the most. love love love my straight strips. no more humpy-bumpy middles! wait for the super sales they have every so often to purchase the other dies. 2 1/2" and 6" are a must. I use the 6" for outside borders. I've never had issues with the cut being off. and i only use this for myself but still consider it a great tool, despite the price. great quality on the studio.

I have the GO, wish I had the Studio, but only to be able to cut more layers and get the cutting done faster. I use it for myself and can't justify the cost of the Studio and this way I can have more dies because they cost less than the Studio dies. I found that if the fabric is placed on the dies so the lengthwise grain is fed through the cutter, the cut is accurate. I had some inaccurate cuts and when I called Accuquilt, this is what they told me to do and it works. My favorite dies are the strip cutters. Great for binding, strips for log cabin, bargello, sashing and borders. Another die that I like a lot is the triangle in a square. Looks like the Studio is $395 right now on the Accuquilt web site, what a deal!

I bought the cutter for two reasons: To help improve the accuracy of my piecing. If the pieces are cut accurantely then my piecing is more likely to be accurate. Also, to reduce the possibility of slicing my finger with a rotary cutter. Been there, done that, 8 stitches. Now when I look at a pattern I want to be able to cut all of it with the Accuquilt. Alas, sometimes I still can't because I don't have the right dies.

Guest Linda S

I think they're a very neat idea, but you have to want the size block the die is going to give you. They're not adjustable. If you have arthritis or some shoulder problems or something that prevent you from using a rotary cutter, they're probably a nice idea. However, they keep making nicer and nicer dies, so it can get spendy. I have a Altos QuiltCut 2, which is a big cutting board that holds your fabric and has a groove for a ruler so you can accurately cut strips or shapes, but the thing I use the most is a June Tailor Shape Cutter - and it's a whole heck of a lot cheaper than either of the two fancier items!

I've posted about this before. I think I'm a lone voice but I have found that for 5"squares the pieces are 1/8" or 1/16" short depending on which way the grain is. I also find the 21/2" strips creep and sometimes get a kink in the middle, this can be improved by putting a layer of paper in when cutting but for mass production purposes you would use an awful lot of paper. I do however think its OK for applique shapes where exact size is not so important.

It is also quite hard work turning the handle to run the die through and wasteful of fabric which is si expensive theses days.

We now use the Shape cutter which is marked up in 21/2" strips. Much cheaper and quicker.

Use the June Tailor shape cutter like Linda Stellar. I find it really cuts down on the time I spend cutting fabric. And all of my strips are the same size.

I have even invested in anothe of June Tailor's cutters - the Quarter Cut. Love both of them and they are very versatile.

On occasion I use a long ruler with a gripper (like the gypsy gripper - only purchased at Menard's for a lot less money) to keep the strip cutter firmly in place. The ruler is not for cutting or lining up , just for even weight distribution. Hand arthritis is a big problem for me and this helps considerably.

I have lent my June Tailor strip cutter to several friends to try before they purchased. All have purchased this item.

And I am not in any way involved with marketing the strip cutter - I just like it.

Marilyn

I love my studio but I use it a lot to make kits. I don't know if it would be worth the difference in the price of the go if you don't use it a lot. I have found everything to be super precise with the studio and I have a LOT of dies. I had the June Tailor but never tried it out because I always use the Studio. I sold it. A lot of people like it though.

I have the studio cutter just for me and I really love it. I've used it for our guilds BOM and it makes quick work of making up all the kits. It was an extravacant investment for me but I figure one day I'll have time to make some quilts for me and family and I wanted a tool to make it quicker. If you can afford it then treat yourself and get it!

I have the studio and LOVE it. I only use it for personal use, but it makes cutting so much faster than rotary cutting. I've never had any issues with accuracy. I use it a lot for strips and for applique shapes. Great for both. The dies for it are fairly expensive, so I have to choose wisely. I only buy the ones I can find multiple uses for, not just one block design.

BUY IT NOW...it is on sale $200 off the $595 regular price. The sale ends on the 28th.

I have the Studio and also LOVE it! I bought it for personal use. I have a shoulder injury and a back problem so this was a blessing to me. It is worth every penny I paid for it. I've purchased quite a few dies,but I usually wait until they are on sale to purchase them. I've had no issues with dies not cutting correctly. I would buy it again in a heartbeat. If you have the money and the room for it ABSOLUTELY buy it...you will not regret it.

I have the Westminister Big Shot Pro that will take Go dies, Studio dies, Sizzix dies, or dies from any other company. It is not portable but will cut more layers that the Go. (It was also a lot cheaper that the Studio and just a little more than the Go).

I got an email from Accuquilt that said a big announcement is coming on Wednesday, August 31. I think I will wait to order, but I am wondering that since they have Studios on sale at a very good price, maybe a new model is coming out. A hybrid possibly. Anyone know anything.

Lori

I have a studio for personal use and have been really enjoying it. You can check the Accuquilt website each weekday for the 'deal of the day' and for their sales. I'm accumulating a nice selection of dies at comparatively reasonable prices this way. Love the cutter for strips (especially from scraps!) and for cutting fused fabric for applique.

Archived