Ya gotta luv our young ones!

My son came home from college this weekend and brought some friends with him so that they can go to Octoberfest (we live in Kitchener, Ontario). One of his friends (who happens to be the son of life long family friend) and his girlfriend came down to see my "studio" in action. They were both very interested and we talked for at least 1/2 an hour. He was very interested because of all the "stuff" I have and also because he was interested in seeing how his quilt was made (which I made for him a few years ago). He tells me all the time how much he loves that quilt. She (his girlfriend) had to immediately show me the quilt her "Grammie" had made her. It was a beautiful handmade "Grandmother's Fan, made around the 1970's. She brought it along to snuggle under while she stayed here for the night. Apparently she brings it with her everyhwere and loves it so much. Isn't that beautiful? Don't you all wish that the quilts we make today will be cherished like this by our loved ones when we are long gone?

Yes, I really do think that mostly the quilts that we give to our loved ones will be loved long after we are gone. I have made it a practice to wrap all of those that I love in a quilt or two for just that reason. Even when I am physically still here but with them they can be wrapped in my love. Especially my kids and grandkids, I wish to love on them constantly and quilts are a wonderful way of doing just that.

I gave a little 6 year old girl a quilt when she was the flower girl at my daughters wedding. that flower girl is now 20 years old and that quilt still goes everywhere with her. It was in bad need of repair about 3 years ago she brought it to me in tatters and asked if I could fix it. I told her it was really not worth fixing, but she could not part with it. So I took it back and did some repairs the best I could and breathed new life into it. I havent seen it since but from what I hear it still goes everywhere she goes and is still very loved. Now, isnt that how we want all of our quilts to be loved.

Another sweet story is one of my father in laws quilt a thimbleberries large house block of the month quilt I made in 1999. He had it on his bed from that time till he passed away about 5 years ago now. My mother in law gave it back to me and I have given it to our oldest grandson who is eleven. He remembers his great grandpa Viggo and was very happy that he was going to have his quilt to remember him by. When I made Brody a new quilt last christmas

I used leftover pieces of fabric from that same thimbleberries quilt and Brody's baby quilt, so that woven into his own quilt is part of his great grampa and his first baby quilt.

I have 3 grandchildren and have made them quite a few quilts. Each new baby got a quilt to be used for a few months and then put away in the matching bag to be given to their first child. The label explains this and of course, has the year it was made by me. My daughter is very good with picture albums, and memorabilia, so she was very excited about my idea, so I know she will carry this through for the next 20 years or so.

One of my favorite photos is of my son, when he was 14 years old, standing with the Vikings stack-n-whack quilt I made him wrapped around his body and smiling with braces.

Caroline, there is nothing like the lift of hope in our wings felt when we are with young people. :-) Thank you for your story.

My grandbaby he is 3 loves his quilt that we just finished for him. My mom made it I quilted it. I put it in a show and he was with me when I dropped it off and his sister tried to get it back she is 2 and he cried said he didn't want them to trought it away. When I brought it home he went and put it on his bed at Grammy's house and went to bed. He shows it to every one. The 2 yr. old wants her quilt!!!! She gets hers for Christmas. I want my quilts loved to death too, I don't want them hung on the wall but used.

The first quilt I ever made, I made for my daughter's 16th birthday. I bought Alex Anderson's book, and followed it. I had a hard time on the card trick block, not knowing anything about sewing on the bias at the time.:D Then I quilted it by hand.

She is 28 years old now, and brought it out the other day. She apologized because it had rust stains on it. She used to keep it in trunk of her car when going back and forth from college to home, so if she ever got stuck in bad weather she would have a blanket. She still loves it though and whenever her boys get out their baby blankets I made them, she gets hers out to show them that Gammie made her one too.

I had to laugh when I looked at it. It was definitely a "first attempt":D:D

Archived