Southwest Quilt

To find Southwest symbols, I googled Southwest style and symbols and found lots of good examples. I printed out a kokopelli symbol, blew it up to the size I wanted on the copier, cut it out, then used blue water soluable marker to outline it. I quilted around the figure twice in a Rainbows thread to make it stand out. Then when I did the background fill, I quilted around it a third time. (No use going to all that trouble of quilting the kokopelli, if you can't see it -- no matching thread here. :P:P:P)

post--13461907219142_thumb.jpg

Originally posted by Beachside Quilter

You really rocked this one, Joan! How did you do the basketweave in the border?

It is supposed to represent 'kiva ladders' and be purposely somewhat wavey, like logs. I wasn't very happy with how it turned out, but it is a kid's quilt and I wanted quilting that wasn't symmetrical on it.

It is supposed to represent 'kiva ladders' and be purposely somewhat wavey, like logs. I wasn't very happy with how it turned out, but it is a kid's quilt and I wanted quilting that wasn't symmetrical on it.

Wow! a kid's quilt??? This is a show stopper! I love the elements and placement you have chosen. This one goes in my "lookie lookie" file.:D

Originally posted by LibbyG

Love it, love it, love it! Exactly what did you use from the quiltazoid. I understand how to do the outside 2 circles, but how did you do the inner ones?

The Quiltazoid comes with a part called an 'eccentric' that allows you to make circles off the center. If you go to the QZ website, there is a utube that shows how it is done.

Joan, I love those little kokopelli figures! Don't know why, but I've always liked that particular symbol. I also really (really, really) like the basketweave effect in the border. I think the slightly funky look is perfect for this quilt, and I can think of lots of other uses for that design. The thread you used gives it a sort of peek-a-boo effect that really appeals to me.

As for the binding, yes, I'm tired of hand stitching. I just finished a "utility" quilt for my nephew that I did all to binding on machine. I used purchased quilt binding, but unfolded it and pressed it in half like a conventional binding that I made myself. Only difference is that it's a little wider. I stitched it on the front side on the longarm, folded it to the back, and machine stitched a wavy "S" shape that lapped over the binding and the top, if that makes sense. Looks great, and is really secure. Fast, too.

Thanks for the inspiration, this is a great quilt!

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

Kay -- some of my favorite metal and stone jewelry is from the Southwest, too. I live in NE Minnesota, where Ojibwe beaded work is a popular.

Sandra -- I wish you lived close enough for a cuppa, too!

Sharon -- Thank you for your comments. It helps to have someone say they 'like' something, that I wasn't too sure about. And, it is probably about time that I gave binding on the longarm another try. I tried it very early on, but that was when I thought everything needed to be perfect, and I've come to my senses now. :P (I'm not saying that LA binding isn't perfect -- I just couldn't do it at the time.)

Archived