Height of quilting table?

I am sure I've read this somewhere before, but in doing a search I couldn't find it.

What is the proper height for your quilting table when standing ?? I'm wondering if this could be some of my lower back problems. After just a couple of hours, I start hurting.

Been reading the posts about the Dansko shoes, too !

Years ago in a Sally Terry APQS maintenance class she said--

The top of the front roller should hit you at the bottom of your ribs. After much searching :P I found the bottom of my ribs and adjusted the height. It is higher than you think would be correct, but it turned out to work well for me. This is the roller that forms the flat quilting field, not the higher one that you use to load the quilt top.

Guest Linda S

HA!!! Yep - In my case, it would dictate whether it was above or below the bellybutton! ;):D I got hydraulics, and it's made all the difference in the world.

Originally posted by Merryjo2003

I used the 3 B's method. Bar goes between the bellybutton and boobs!:P:P

:P:P:P OK, I raised my machine up a good 1/2" this morning and that seemed to help, but I think I can go a little higher yet. I put the bar near where my bellybutton "should" be, not where it is now.......I did eventually find my ribs, but think that might be a bit too high. I am only 5'3".......used to 5'4"........darn gravity !!! ;)

Sylvia, Himself took the legs from the Lenni, to a welder. He cut 2"off, and above where the inside part hits the highest. He welded them back together, and did a great smooth job and then painted it black like the legs were from the factory. He really did a terrific job on them.

It has really made a difference, and he charged us way below average.

Well, I raised my quilting table up another inch this afternoon. So, now the top of the belly bar is about 33" from the floor. I haven't tried quilting yet, but it feels comfortable standing there and holding the machine handles. I need to make myself bring my quilting area closer to me instead of reaching to the back. I have the automatic advance, so it's not that big a deal to roll up or down. I just think I'll reach over there and then I am straining my back. So, when doing detail work, I will try to remind myself to bring the area to me instead of reaching over.

I don't do work from the back of the machine very often, but it also feels better from that side. So, time will tell !

OK, I have raised my table a good 1 1/2" and quilted over 2 hours straight this morning without back pain !!!!! Yayyyy............before, I was hurting after just an hour. I only stopped for a while to get some lunch. What a treat to be able to work longer without back pain.

As far as the question about sitting down............I can still sit if I want to. I just raised my stool up a few notches and it works fine. I stand most of the time though.

Archived