Black, Cream & Beige Quilt--Line Ideas Needed

Thank you for your previous ideas. I'm reposting this topic, to ask for more specific info on line ideas -- see my post further down the page. Thanks!

Here is a quilt that a long distance friend asked me to quilt. She wants a Quilters Dream wool batt and said I can do anything I want and not to worry about the cost. It is for her bed.

Although the block is simple, I love the look and both the fabrics/colors give it a classy feel. I could do custom, but don't really think the quilting will show anywhere, except on the white/gold fabric where I could do feathers.

Right now, I am trying to find a classy panto to use in the body of the quilt, with a matching border panto. The border is 5" finished. Does anyone know of a design that would go with the fabrics here -- I'm attaching a closeup in the next reply post. Thanks for your help!

post--1346190754772_thumb.jpg

I think the panto "ALOHA" would look pretty with this! Let me see if I can find the link, then i'll edit my post with it.

Here's the sashing:

http://www.sewthankful.com/UrbanElementzAlohaSashingPanto.html

Here's the panto:

http://www.sewthankful.com/UrbanElementzAlohaPetitePanto.html

Wow, Even a simple filigree panto would be awsome here too:

http://www.sewthankful.com/Urban_Elementz_Filigree_Pantograph.html

Hi Joan.

Are the dark halves of the squares supposed to form larger triangles across the top? It is a little confusing to me...is there a secondary pattern in there? Maybe SID, feathers in the dark, and a loopy, lace-y design in the light areas and border.

Pantos: Briar Rose, Featheration or even Leaf & Scroll if nothing much will show.

Good luck!

Thank you for the great panto ideas. I haven't purchased pantos in awhile, so am a little rusty on what's available. I liked everything that was suggested, and it helped for you all to reinforce that this is a panto quilt, not custom.

After I took the photo and spread the quilt out, I realized that there are about 7-8 blocks that are turned around (customer had just come from a retreat, where I think it is difficult to see straight after 3-days :D ). Anyway, when I get the blocks straightened out and the quilt quilted I'll show a photo again. It is a neat pattern, where the blocks form a large pinwheel with the blocks in each quadrant facing a different direction.

Thanks for your help!

If she wants custom then I'd give her custom. I think I would do lots of straight lines and cross hatching which will show and give the quilt structure. In the light areas feathers would look beautiful. I would hate to do an e2e if the customer spent so much time getting all her points and such. Just the way I look at quilts I guess.

I think you will be surprised at how well the quilting shows up if you use wool batting. I 2nd Heidi's idea and another idea might be to quilt in the "lines" made by the piecing. If you look at the overall design, you can see diagonal spaces where you could use feathers with spines and alternate with straight lines.

I've gotta go pick deliver some quilts but when I get back I'll draw you up a pic to show what I mean.

• 3 months later...

Okay, I'm thinking about this quilt again. I've pulled out the blocks that were oriented wrong. I do think feathers would look nice in the border and the light cream section of the one side of each block. Some of you mentioned putting in lines and crosshatch in the rest, but I'm not really seeing it. Do you mind drawing what you are talking about? Thanks for the help.

How about some metallic threads for sparkle??? on the lighter areas I think would really show off the beautiful quilting you ALWAYS do -- even on the dark, I think a metallic would sparkle, maybe that is where you want to use metallic and use regular thread on the light??? Gold metallic on the cream? Crosshatch the border with metallic? or a plain gold? I haven't used metallic much, so others may have a better idea.

I love the quilt, by the way. and yes, turning those blocks will help! Glad I am not the only one who does that!

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

Archived